GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dyno Results - GIAC & APR Stage I - 2012 Golf R

thesnowturtle

I posted this on the vortex and thought I would also share over here. If you've read this over there it is the same info. If you haven't read it, enjoy.

Basically, I just wanted to share my tuning experience with everyone. For some background, I have a 2012 Golf R with a Stage 1 GIAC flash, a APR Carbonio intake and about 9700 miles on it. A few weeks ago at Fastivus, I was looking around the APR booth and chatting with one of the guys from APR about his Stage 3 Golf R. During our conversation I was introduced to someone from a local shop, EuroCode, that sells APR. He was talking about how great APR was and how great their tune for the Golf R is. I then mentioned that I was GIAC Stage I, this opened the conversation up even more. I know that everyone has their opinion on what company is better and why but he really seemed quite passionate about APR and had confidence that the APR tune for the Golf R performs better than the GIAC tune for the Golf R. I have been satisfied with my GIAC tune, especially when compared to stock, but I was very intrigued by his claims and had to find out for myself.

So, I scheduled some dyno time for my car, had it dynoed in 91 octane mode (PUMP) and in stock mode (I have the fully loaded GIAC tune with the switcher). Once this was done, I headed over to EuroCode, had it flashed with Stage 1 and 91 Octane map and went back to the dyno and dynoed it again. Below are the results.

Red = APR
Purple = GIAC
Teal = Stock

As you can see there was a 24+ HP difference between the APR and the GIAC and 23 lb/ft of torque (I think torque peaked at about 299). As you can imagine with these results I decided to keep the APR tune instead of going back to the GIAC. All the way home I just couldn’t believe how much different the car was behaving. I am amazed.

This was done on the same day, same tank of gas and the same dyno. The dyno was a DynaPack run in 4WD, not FWD. The dyno was at an independent automotive testing facility. Each tune was run about three times and the best run from each tune was taken for the graph. It just so happens that the best run was the first run for all of them.

Disclaimer - I am not affiliated with APR or EuroCode, I’m just an “average Joe” that loves his R. I was at the dyno by myself and the car was in my possession at all times.

Last edited:

mj8807

Ready to race!
This is a great comparo, especially for a guy like me who is considering a stage 1 tune. My question is why didnt you compare peak tq numbers but you did on the hp graph. I do realize that you recognized the max tq of apr but you didnt compare it to giac.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Wow. Wonder what this would look like on the GTI. Anyways, thanks for the experiment and sharing with the community.

Any difference in ambient conditions? Eg, hotter later in the day?

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
This is a great comparo, especially for a guy like me who is considering a stage 1 tune. My question is why didnt you compare peak tq numbers but you did on the hp graph. I do realize that you recognized the max tq of apr but you didnt compare it to giac.
While peak numbers are what everybody quotes, what really matters is the area under the curve.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Curious as to how many miles on the APR flash before the dyno. All tunes will make more power right after a flash before the ECU starts to retard a bit of timing here and there. Either way the APR tune looks better throughout the curve.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Not sure if it is a fluke but does the stock tune make more power before 2500? That seems rather odd.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Maybe im a bit confused, on the hp graph he compared peak hp and on the tq graph he compared nonpeak numbers.
You're right about that, but I think he's trying to highlight areas with the biggest delta (gain).

Brinkmen

VW NUT!

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Only reminded me why I stay away from the tex...:thumbdown:

:word:

I created an account on here last month and have been on here more since. heh. Too much drama. Then again, these forums are the ones who have a "MkVI vs..." Topic. lol.

Guy_H

Ready to race!
Sounds pretty normal.

Here are results from a dyno day last year with 6 x stage 1 Golf R's. The lower 3 are GIAC stage 1, the upper three are APR stage 1.

The torque looked like the OP's as well.

Independent dyno day run by a bunch of forum enthusiasts.