GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 Revo Stage 2 review

aVWGTIguy

Ready to race!
I wanted to share my thoughts on the REVO 2011 Stage 2 software. I’ll be periodically updating this review as I rack up more time and miles on the GTI. I also want to take a second to personally thank Chris and George @ REVO for all their help with this. They were both answering emails and on the phone working with my guy Lou @ Phantom over the weekend and late into the night. Phenomenal customer service.

My car’s current setup;
APR Carbonio Stage 1 intake
DSG transmission
APR RSC TBE Exhaust
Phantom Autowerke in Elmsford, NY has performed all work on the car. Best shop in the Tri-State.

I picked up the car last night and we took it for a test drive to collect data for some custom tweaking. The car sounds exactly the same at idle and at lower RPMs. When you get in and put the car into Drive the first thing you’ll notice is with just feathering the gas pedal the car is a whole lot more responsive, even at very low RPMs. As you go through the gears in normal driving the car seems to shift a bit smoother as well although the DSG “burps” are a little more pronounced. The other sensation that comes up is that the whole car seems to be lighter for some reason. It’s hard to describe and I’m not sure if other people with similar tunes have experienced it but it’s kind of like when you stretch out before a run and feel a bit lighter and more agile on your feet.

Now, onto the good part. This car is fast. Scary fast. Like it just wants to charge at whatever is in front of it as fast as possible. It’s gone from a “cute” quick little VW to a female pit bull who’s devouring blacktop trying to catch something that hurt her puppies. From a standstill at WOT you hit 100mph by the time you look down at the speedometer. And the sound – it’s like a symphony in perfect concert; you hear the whooshing of air into the intake, the perfect synchronization of changing gears and the ferocious roar of the exhaust.

We also did a few launches to see how it responded with the increased low end torque but it proved futile with the stock all seasons still on. Once I get the Michelin PS2s back on we’ll try it again.

The drive home from the shop was all highway and the car drove much better that I had thought it would at sustained higher speeds. You almost can’t help but drive 80mph since the engine doesn’t work as hard to keep that speed. Passing at highway speeds, as if it weren’t already amazing at stock, is so much more effortless.

I’d love to say that these cars should’ve come from VW this way but I don’t think that’s true. I really would advise people to put on a few thousand miles to learn the car and it’s abilities and appreciate what you have. Then run. Run as fast as you can to a REVO dealer (if you’re even remotely close to Elmsford, you should be running to Phantom) and get this software. I would also highly recommend getting the SPS so you can change the program back to stock or valet when you need to.

I’ll be updating this review over the next few days/weeks so make sure to check in. Also, please feel free shoot me any questions - I'm happy to help.

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
Thanks for the review. About set to pull the trigger on my revo purchase as well.

FinalOne

Ready to race!
thanks for the review, i was wondering how do you compare the stock consumption with stage 2.

bewshy

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 2 DynoJet's down the hall and I'll have some time this Friday so I'll dyno my 2011 DSG w/ Revo stage 2. Any recommendations (shift points, etc) prior?

Cannon03

Ready to race!
^^^Did you dyno the car stock? Would be ideal if you did and if so, just dyno the same as you did stock.

PyroBob

I'm in.
Good first impressions review...I'm glad they were solid with their customer support. I'd had an unfortunately different experience, but meh, water under the bridge.

What does REVO recommend for additional equipment when using their stage II?

THOU SHALT WER THY PANTS

aVWGTIguy

Ready to race!
What does REVO recommend for additional equipment when using their stage II?

Thanks. Yeah, the situation really could have gone either way for a few tense minutes but they came through in the end. I'm also am very fortunate to have a shop that's on my side and willing to go the extra mile to treat me right.

I believe REVO requires a downpipe and intake as the minimum for Stage 2.

aVWGTIguy

Ready to race!
Day 2 impressions;

Picked up my programmed SPS device last night and found out the car was set to the 91 octane file so we switched it over to 93. Not sure if it's in my head but it did seem to run just a bit stronger afterward. I also understand the car "adapts" to the tune over the course of a few days so maybe it's that. Either way I still love it.

One other thing has now become pretty apparent since getting it tuned - I'm gonna need to upgrade the brakes.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Day 2 impressions;

Picked up my programmed SPS device last night and found out the car was set to the 91 octane file so we switched it over to 93. Not sure if it's in my head but it did seem to run just a bit stronger afterward.

Definitely real, just because we can as it is so easy to switch we ran some 93 cars on the dyno in 91 mode during testing. Peak power with 93 in the tank was within a hp or two but torque saw about 10ft/lbs or so difference.

dbest6808

Ready to race!
aVWGTIguy How do you like your APR RSC Exhaust? Im about to install the RSC Turboback and go stage 2. did you notice the really low RPMS like 1700 - 2500 get more slugish or did the car keep its bottom end torque? I also have the Caronio and a APR stg 1 tune. Love to see other people on here reppin Westchester NY.
About what area are you from? White Plains here.