GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I want a UK-spec GTI!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Why are the UK and DE spec GTIs with a manual transmission rated at 32 mpg COMBINED and 40 mpg highway (in US gallons), while the USA version is SO much lower?

The heck with tuning to get more horsepower that I don't really need. I'd be happy to get the 210 they get with that kind of fuel economy!

Are Brits and Germans actually seeing these numbers, or is it a fairy tale?

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Whoa...this just blew my mind. I always wondered why the European counterparts to vehicles we get in the us claim such better MPG's. Because they are miles per imperial gallon, which has more volume than a United States Gallon.

Thanks for enlightening me!

fnord

I guess the miles in Canada are shorter than in the US because they claim 35 mpg hwy (US) in Canada.

fnord

Whoa...this just blew my mind. I always wondered why the European counterparts to vehicles we get in the us claim such better MPG's. Because they are miles per imperial gallon, which has more volume than a United States Gallon.

Thanks for enlightening me!

:lol:

The UK mileage numbers for the GTI are 48.7 extra-urban (hwy) and 38.7 combined.

There seems to be a reading comprehension problem here.

fnord

Buy a Prius.

My Stage 2 GTI gets 34mpg with cruise control set at 75mph all day long.

Buy a Prius? **** a ****.

I'm asking why the rated numbers in Europe are higher than in America. Either the testing methodology in the UK and Germany is fatally flawed and no one ever sees numbers like that, or the difference in tuning is responsible, or there's some other difference.

What I get is 'buy a prius' and 'hurrrrr, I don't know how to convert UK MPG to US MPG so ur dumb.'

cbursten

Banned
What I get is 'buy a prius' and 'hurrrrr, I don't know how to convert UK MPG to US MPG so ur dumb.'

I'm fully capable of of making smart ass comments and using conversion factors.

Did you know what you bought when you bought it? Don't be mad, everyone in Ann Arbor still thinks you drive a fuel efficient automobile. Isn't that what counts up there?

:rolleyes:

fnord

I'm fully capable of of making smart ass comments and using conversion factors.

Did you know what you bought when you bought it? Don't be mad, everyone in Ann Arbor still thinks you drive a fuel efficient automobile. Isn't that what counts up there?

:rolleyes:

Hey, here's a tip: If you don't know the answer, instead of just spouting bull to feel good about yourself, don't.

speed4568

Ready to race!
they have better gasoline, and different emissions systems

Status
Not open for further replies.