GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI CBFA motor replaced with NEW CCTA motor?

macrossplus

Straightforward question, but probably a difficult answer:

MK6 GTI from california (has CBFA). Want to install a new, complete, identical motor, but it is a CCTA, so 2 cats instead of 3.
I have all working parts in the car... in other words, it isnt a wrecked car, had no problems before....just grenaded the motor BC of the faulty belt tensioner.

The new engine is complete with turbo and piping.

the question is WIL THE CAR RUN (I am TOLD that it will run, no problems, but will throw an engine code that I can reflash at a later time).

Does anyone know whether this can be done without crazy shit done to the car?

sauceman101

Ready to race!
At the very least, the SAI system will need to go. The water pumps are different as well. IDK if the turbo's are identical, I'd imagine so, not sure which location of the 3, for the 02 sensors goes.

Can't answer if the car will run, but those other bits you will need to deal with. IF it does run, I imagine you'll be throwing more than just one code. Not sure if the ignition system that is paired to your ECU has some way of identifying a "different" motor, not the CCTA CBFA thing but a different motor that it is paired too. I know these ECU's are relatively complex compared to say a ford or chevy.