GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Is there a thread on here that compares aftermarket mk6 headunits? Url?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

i doubt it. if you're interested in that kind of thing, i recommend googling it in a query like:

site:golfmk6.com mk6 aftermarket headunits

Seeing that you're on tapatalk i wont bust your balls about not using the search feature - but the forum does have that, for future reference.

Side note, beware some of the manufacturers of aftermarket headunits - they come on here and actively solicit members for positive reviews in exchange for slim discounts. I can confirm that this is a thing, and it's total horseshit. After failed attempts with aftermarket, i went OEM premium headunit and love what i've got.

ConsciousClint

i doubt it. if you're interested in that kind of thing, i recommend googling it in a query like:

Seeing that you're on tapatalk i wont bust your balls about not using the search feature - but the forum does have that, for future reference.

Side note, beware some of the manufacturers of aftermarket headunits - they come on here and actively solicit members for positive reviews in exchange for slim discounts. I can confirm that this is a thing, and it's total horseshit. After failed attempts with aftermarket, i went OEM premium headunit and love what i've got.
Thanks for the info. I tried searching using tapatalk feature but came back with limited results. That's why I posted this stupid question in the stupid questions thread. What head unit did you go with?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I have the RNS 510 and love it, does everything I need and I like the OEM look.

clownish

just clowning around
Ive had a RNS315 and RCD510 and both have been great. The RNS510 is also excellent but the earlier versions are definitely slower than the newer ones with SSDs and updated software. The Chinese market OEM RCD330g is pretty nice also -more modern so it's easier to install also (integrated Bluetooth and headunit vs. the earlier units)

We're jumping all over the price point though from $200-800 or more for various OEM headunits.

Aftermarket I haven't had good experiences. Have tried the Blaupunkt Philadelphia unit and a few offbrand Andriod units but usually the software is extremely irritating to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
I had a base OEM head unit when I got my golf. Got my self an android unit and have not had 1 problem with it so far. Think I payed just over 200 for it about 2 years ago.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Yeah Tapatalk isn't that good of an application, i just use the web browser version of the forum on my mobile devices.

Originally had the RNS-315, which wasn't bad at all. I tried an android head unit and it was so slow, i had to send it back after being installed for 5 days. i did a review thread in the electronics section.

I then went to RNS-510 and absolutely love it. OEM look and increased functionality than the RNS315. bought mine on eBay, and the unit came out of a Passat so i had some minor VCDS tweaks to make the thing work and sound good in the GTI. If you go that route eBay has pretty good selection, usually, and the prices are not that bad for some of the newer revisions (anything after Revision E should be good enough)

KDOG1

Ready to race!
I know this is stupid, been searching deep and found the right headlights for the right price that doesn't include the red strip

they are the eBay dual u projector headlights for the mk6 and the ones I want say fits the vw golf 6 years 2011-2014 and also says doesn't fit gti or r.. Now my question is aren't they the same headlight size and fitment? I don't believe it changed because every other light includes the golf as well as gti and others..

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

JPKGTI

I'm considering a rear sway bar. Anyone have issues with rear end squirreliness in snow driving conditions? Thanks!