GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Throttle body cleaning

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
So today I thought I would pop off the hose that forces the charged air into the throttle body. I loosened the 7mm hose clamp and tried to remove the hose. The hose didnt want to move.
Fearing I was doing something incorrectly I aborted the job. I wanted to get a look and see the butterfly and inside of the TB and to spray off any accumulated varnish that has formed after 10,000 miles.

Has anyone done this yet? If so a DIY is needed. I googled the hell out of VW 2.0 throttle body cleaning and came up empty.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
It's a PITA to remove just the top hose,you better off removing the whole pipe which is still a PITA.At 10K im sure you are still ok.Normally cleaning should be done at 40K.

Sorry i wasn't any help to you how to remove the pipe but like i said it's a PITA

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
It's a PITA to remove just the top hose,you better off removing the whole pipe which is still a PITA.At 10K im sure you are still ok.Normally cleaning should be done at 40K.

Sorry i wasn't any help to you how to remove the pipe but like i said it's a PITA

Exactly. It looks pretty involved for something that could be routine.
I'm seriously interested in using this 3M kit at the 10,000 mile mark to abate some carbon buildup on the intake valves.
http://3mcollision.com/3m-fuel-system-tune-up-kit-08963.html

Last edited:

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone done a throttle body cleaning?

I find the car reacting better after an Alignement in Vagcom, So I'm wondering if the throttle body needs a physical cleaning.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
Old thread. Has anyone attempted a cleaning of the throttle body? I'm at 15,000 miles and would like to clean up any gunk in there.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!

Care to elaborate and perhaps post some tips? Looking at the small section of rubber pipe on the TB it doesn't seem like loosening the clamp will not be enough to get access to the TB. Do we need to disconnect the pipe from the intercooler to allow enough movement? Perhaps some screen shots from the VW mechanical manual or other resource you use at the dealer.

Thanks,
Steve

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
All you asked is who's done it. There is no special way, take off the belly pan, undo the 2 torxs screws holding on the tb pipe, unplug the boost pressure sensor and looser the connection to the throttle body. Get the pipe out of the way and it's right there.

The best tip I can give you is leave it alone, it's fine.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
All you asked is who's done it. There is no special way, take off the belly pan, undo the 2 torxs screws holding on the tb pipe, unplug the boost pressure sensor and looser the connection to the throttle body. Get the pipe out of the way and it's right there.

The best tip I can give you is leave it alone, it's fine.

Thanks, I'll likely leave it be.