GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CV Axle Bolts came loose...

GTIfanatic

Ready to race!
So I lifted the car tonight planning on replacing the turbo pancake plastic pipe and BAM this appears before my eyes...4 of 6 the CV Joint bolts were just sitting there not even one thread in and the other 2 were threaded all the way in but loose enough to just turn by hand. I don't even want to think about what could have happened... there was heavy grease splatter on the guard and im sure I have lost a significant amount of grease within the joint itself. I know they sell rebuild kits for these, so I guess I have one more project added to the endless list...son of a...Anyone ever seen this? You can see the current list of mods in my signature

Attachments

• CV JOINT 1.JPG
    CV JOINT 1.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 2,469

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
That is not a significant amount of grease lost. Replace the bolts and retorque them, everything else is fine.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
That sux dude! Have the CV axles been removed for any reason? New clutch or major DSG repairs? (Your sig doesn't tell us if you're DSG or Manual.) :iono:

Would be informative to know so the community is aware. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
That sux dude! Have the CV axles been removed for any reason? New clutch or major DSG repairs? (Your sig doesn't tell us if you're DSG or Manual.) :iono:

If he's K04, he'd have an aftermarket clutch, so I assume DSG.

GTIfanatic

Ready to race!

First off yes I'm DSG. I actually had that whole cv axle and joint replaced when some asshole hit me a few months ago. So yes it has been removed and repaired and replaced with a brand new one. So could it have not been torqued down to specs or what could be the cause? I know this isn't a huge deal but I just want to know what would cause this to happen?

Maybe something else could be out of alignment or wrong somewhere else causing additional strain on the joint itself thus causing the bolts to brake free?

I'm really lost to what could cause this odd thing to happen? So any suggestions or help would be much appreciated. The car is not tracked, only pretty aggressive driving around town at times.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
not torqued properly, or brand new bolts were not used per requirement. also i would prob locktite mine if i ever changed them.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
gotta torque those down good.. if a bolt comes out, the c clip swings out and acts as a blade and will smash a hole in your transmission case

GTIfanatic

Ready to race!
not torqued properly, or brand new bolts were not used per requirement. also i would prob locktite mine if i ever changed them.

Yup, I agree completely. I think they used the same bolts.

So I went my local VW stealership and I go a manager to look at it with me and we both agreed that

1. It probably wast torqued to specs .

2. New bolts were not used with the replacement if the CV axle itself.

Resolution: they are going to replace the entire CV axle and bolts. I wasn't going to argue with that so I just agreed. I also got a $50 gift card out of the deal. Sweet!