GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No R20 for US :(

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
I've already emailed. Same response, we are thinking about it.

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
Whether anyone here likes it or not, at the end of the day, what it comes down to is if there is a market in the U.S. for it or not, plain and simple. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with how much enthusiast support VW can gain. If it will appeal to a greater span of people, than theres a good chance of it coming here. But, if the last R's are any indication of future sales, than I highly doubt the R20 will be coming here. They seriously could not give those things away, my local dealer still has one brand new on the lot for like $25K, no one wants them. Now in my opinion that was due to price and drive train...who wants an $34,000 automatic R? You could get a used 335 for that price.

JimmyT1

Passed Driver's Ed
let's give VoA a few months to see how the Golf R sells in Europe (their primary market). If the cars are selling as fast as they make them, then it could help our case. higher volume will spread the cost and profit over a larger number of vehicles. I'm guessing that if VoA sells the R here, it will have to be at a discount to generate the traffic to move them. Or they could leave the price high and only import 3000 or so and leave it as a halo model. Just wish they would make a decision....

TwinTurboBoost

Passed Driver's Ed
No offense, but the folks who work at dealerships don't know anything about upcoming products.

He probably figured he could sell you a new car now if he could talk you out of waiting. That's his job you know -- it's like the flirty waitress, she isn't actually interested in you, she's just trying to get a bigger tip.

That's sales 101 my friend.

Oh please!!!

Actually we do have some good sources, its Vw itself that is a wacky and changes things last minute. No one knows what is going on.

TwinTurboBoost

Passed Driver's Ed
Not for the 99% that I have met at dealers or argued with on car forums.

Well then your talking to the wrong people lol. No really Vw does not info out until last min. sometimes. There are some morons out there who just bs you to do things. Give me a buzz and I will give you str8 answeres to the best of my knowledge. I have some reliable sources. :w00t:

JimmyT1

Passed Driver's Ed
ISELLBOO5T buzz this... on display at NYIAS 2010... announce for sale in us March/April 2010 as a 2011 model, delivery in late 4th qtr 2010 and 1st qtr 2011... both trans as options, but limited number of 2 doors

vw_krazy

ISELLBOO5T buzz this... on display at NYIAS 2010... announce for sale in us March/April 2010 as a 2011 model, delivery in late 4th qtr 2010 and 1st qtr 2011... both trans as options, but limited number of 2 doors

I hope to god this is true!

Where did you get the info?

Mark@CarolinaVW

VW Product Advisor
The best thing I am hearing right now is "highly unlikely" from my VW contacts.

Face it, us enthusiats take a back seat to the mass market. Not just with VW but any manufactuerer.

Would I trade my 335i in for an R20? Damn stright I would. In a heartbeat. Would I trade it for a MKVI Gti? Not a chance in hell. Not till my lease is up. and even then only for a phenomonal employee deal or something. This is as a consumer, not a VW dealer employee. Is the MKVI as much fun as the 335? for short little buzzy trips around town, yes, maybe even a little more. On the open highway or long back road drives? Not a chance.

Vw has some exciting stuff coming down the pipe, but make no mistake about it, their big focus right now has NOTHONG to do with us gearheads. It has to do with beating toyota, honda, GM and ford. And the R20 doesnt fit that focus.

Japan8

Passed Driver's Ed
The best thing I am hearing right now is "highly unlikely" from my VW contacts.

Face it, us enthusiats take a back seat to the mass market. Not just with VW but any manufactuerer.

Would I trade my 335i in for an R20? Damn stright I would. In a heartbeat. Would I trade it for a MKVI Gti? Not a chance in hell. Not till my lease is up. and even then only for a phenomonal employee deal or something. This is as a consumer, not a VW dealer employee. Is the MKVI as much fun as the 335? for short little buzzy trips around town, yes, maybe even a little more. On the open highway or long back road drives? Not a chance.

Vw has some exciting stuff coming down the pipe, but make no mistake about it, their big focus right now has NOTHONG to do with us gearheads. It has to do with beating toyota, honda, GM and ford. And the R20 doesnt fit that focus.

And sadly... Mazda is best example of thinking that and thus screwing the pooch.

Why trade a Toyota Camry for a Mazda6 or a VW? Because they are more fun to drive? Do you really think people buy a Camry because they care about that kind of shit? Of course not! They buy it because it has the reputation of quality, reliability and resale value. It's a very competitive market... you're not going to just beat Toyota by trying to "out toyota" them... offering something mainstream with a watered down flavor of what you were.

Subaru is a decent example that should be looked at. Sure they made some changes that made things a bit more "mainstream", but overal a Subie is still a Subie... and they're selling. Mazda and VW had better take notes and get back to the drawing board.

path

Ready to race!
And sadly... Mazda is best example of thinking that and thus screwing the pooch.

Why trade a Toyota Camry for a Mazda6 or a VW? Because they are more fun to drive? Do you really think people buy a Camry because they care about that kind of shit? Of course not! They buy it because it has the reputation of quality, reliability and resale value. It's a very competitive market... you're not going to just beat Toyota by trying to "out toyota" them... offering something mainstream with a watered down flavor of what you were.

Subaru is a decent example that should be looked at. Sure they made some changes that made things a bit more "mainstream", but overal a Subie is still a Subie... and they're selling. Mazda and VW had better take notes and get back to the drawing board.

VW has over taken Toyota as the number 1 selling car brand worldwide