GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anxious to Order

elbles

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

So, my 2006 Impreza is coming off lease in July, but I'm rapidly approaching my mileage limit, and looking at the cost per mile over and the fact that I'm currently commuting 400 miles a week, the numbers are suggesting that it makes some financial sense to get myself into a GTI sometime well before July. Of course, after driving the GTI, I have to admit there's more to ordering it sooner rather than just financial sense. :thumbsup:

I'm looking to get into a GTI with the following:

Color: Candy White / United Gray Metallic / Carbon Steel Gray Metallic
Definite Options: HIDs, Dynaudio Upgrade
Possible Option: Autobahn Package (I really just want the leather, so $2795 is kind of high to get just that)

From what I've heard at two dealers, a car with the Dynaudio package and without navigation is a fairly rare find, though I've seen two such models in local inventories. They just happen to be red, which is a color I won't do again just yet.

If I decide to order one to get just what I want, what kind of timeframe should I expect, from walking in and ordering, to picking the car up at the dealer? 6 weeks? More? Less?

And does anyone have any information as to whether or not the sign-and-drive deal will be extended another month? I'll hit my mileage limit in a little under 6 weeks, so I'm trying to gauge whether it'd be beneficial financially to try and order with the sign-and-drive program (assuming it's possible to sign-and-drive with a car that needs to be ordered).

Any and all advice here would be welcome. Thanks guys!

elbles

Passed Driver's Ed
Oops, I forgot to mention that I'm also sticking to a two-door with the stick. The DSG might be faster, but I'm already breaking my rule of not getting a car that doesn't at least partially drive the rear wheels. I won't break the rule of getting a car without a third pedal. :)

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
You should be able to find a dealer willin to trade other dealers for the car you want, especially since you're fairly flexible with options and colors. You may have a hard time finding the car you want without a sunroof- many of the up-optioned ones VW sent over have that option- but it should be out there. I haven't heard about the nav being the same way at all.

elbles

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, the other thing is I don't want a car that's been driven, and generally, I've found that the cars are driven from dealer to dealer in those circumstances (and I'm leary of them spending that drive at 7,000 RPMs, hah).

I'm fairly flexible with colors and options at the moment, though I'm sure I'll start to solidify my preferences soon enough. Looking at the dealers around me (or their web sites anyway), I'm seeing a lot of cars with the moonroof, but surprisingly few with the Autobahn package (and a lot of the ones that have that also have the nav). This is what has me thinking about ordering, along with how long the process would take from start to finish.

Thanks for the reply though. Any more commentary about how long it takes to order and how much longer sign-and-drive could possibly go on would be most welcome (even if it's only speculation, hah).

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
I am thinking about ordering also, not only because the car I am looking for is hard to find (I want a 4 door DSG with only HIDs), but also I want a car that has never been driven. I have seen cars that have been test driven for more than 100 miles and the dealer tried to sell me as new just because it has the warranty.

I heard you should expect about 3 months to pick your car up, that's what the dealer I went to told me. I haven't ordered yet because the 3 months waiting time, but I am seriously considering it...

Mark@CarolinaVW

VW Product Advisor
90 days for an order is average, yes. And belive me 100 miles is nothing on a new car. Ive seen far more. You have to understand that sometimes they roll off the hauler with 50 miles already on them. The low average is around 15 miles.

So 100 miles IS a new car.

My suggestion is that if a few miles on the car is a concern, and you are wanting an odd combination of options, is to order, and order well before you want it. 90 days is average for an order. Remember, it will be almost a month in transit alone.

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Mark, if I want a 2010 GTI, what is the cut off date I have to order it? Someone told me there is a cut off date and after that date I only can order 2011 model...

elbles

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, I've seen "new" cars with 50-100 miles, and on a normal car, it probably wouldn't bother me as much as it would on a car with the sporting pretensions of something like a GTI. In a performance car, I'd almost expect others to beat up on them while they test drive them, and that's just not something I'd want, warranty or not, leasing or not (I may buy it after the lease, after all).

If 3 months is the lead time on an order, I'd even think of ordering this month. Would I still qualify for the sign-and-drive promotion even if I don't take delivery this month (I've seen a lot of offers that were limited to dealer inventory)? I'd imagine there's not as much wiggle room on an ordered vehicle compared to a vehicle in inventory as well. Chances of getting it $1,000 or so under MSRP (leaving around $1000 over invoice for the dealer)?

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it.

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
I contacted some dealers in my area in late December last year to take advantage of the new car tax incentive. From the quotes I got from the dealers I think GTI is pretty hard to bargain. I bought my Mazda3 in 2007 and got $4000 off MSRP and I found it was impossible on a GTI. In my opinion GTI is not a car has the best price/utility ratio but I just like it...

There are many other cars out there with better performance and cheaper prices, but I just like the GTI and I have to suck up the high price :)

I read some articles online and it looks if you order it, the car should be cheaper because the dealer does not have to incur expenses associated with keeping a car on its lot. But again, since GTI is hard to bargain on price, I would not expect to get too much off MSRP even with ordering it

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
It's definitely possible to deal on a car, but you do need to be somewhat flexible - and it sounds like you aren't. I was able to negotiate 1100 off invoice for the car I'm buying this week (or, for that matter, any 2010 GTI they could trade for in the area). I'm not sure this would also go for special order cars, but I have a feeling it wouldn't. Zag.com my friend - there's another thread on it I'm pretty sure, and I highly suggest it.

Dealers are more likely to want to sell a car on their lot already because those cars sitting on the lot aren't earning them any money, and they've already spent their cash on them. Dealer trades are a bit different, because they basically sell a car to another dealer in trade for your car from that dealer - so they get rid of a car off their lot regardless.

If you're custom ordering, they know you want something specific, and you've gotta be willing to pay for it. They get an instant profit 3 months down the line, but they're still stuck with the same inventory on lot, and the carrying fees that go along with it.

Disclaimer: I do not work for a car dealership! (clearly)

elbles

Passed Driver's Ed
That's the thing about the GTI. There are faster and sportier cars for less money, but the GTI is more civilized than anything else in its price range, which I absolutely love, but at the same time, there are other cars out there, including the one sitting in my driveway right now, hah. My only regret with leasing that car was that I didn't negotiate the purchase price, but I still got a pretty good deal, I think. I have no problem with a good and helpful dealer making a few bucks on the sale (they have to make a living, just like I do), but I'm also not of the "I'll just die if I don't get the car" variety either, so I'd hope a decent amount off MSRP is possible, even with a custom order. Time will tell, I suppose...

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
Since I found out it was hard to negotiate the price, now I am waiting for a better APR promotion...lol

currently the promotion is 2.9%, I am ok with 27000 or 28000 OTD price but I would do it with a lower APR :)

Mark@CarolinaVW

VW Product Advisor
Its not that hard to negotiate price. You just have to find the right place. Please understand we will not LOSE money to sell you a car though.

Again it all depends on what you want. If youre serious, give me a call or shoot me a PM, etc. I can get you the friends and family program.

I'm an enthusiast, and I can offer the Friends and family program to forum members. You simply arent going to get a better opportunity than that. This month, however there is no cash incentive on GTI.

As for sign and drive on an order that's iffy. Why would a dealer order a car (Unless its a common build out) with no money from the client? With money down, sure. But that essential makes it NOT a sign then drive.

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
of course I understand the dealer won't lose money to sell me the car...and I do not want you to lose money because we all need to make money for living.

I am interested in that Friends & Family program but I just checked on GOOGLE map and found out Charlotte NC is more than 700 miles from where I live...

The reason I said the GTI is hard to negotiate on price is I contacted 3 dealers in my area and non of them would give me less than 27000 OTD for a base model 4 door DSG, with no option on it. so I kinda give up on the price, just wait for the APR :)

elbles

Passed Driver's Ed
I suppose I should have made my motives for wanting the sign-and-drive program clearer. It's not so much looking to avoid paying money up front, it's looking to avoid paying money that doesn't go towards lowering my monthly payments, hah. :) With sign-and-drive, most of the money I'd put down upfront would go towards lowering those payments, which would be nice. Without sign-and-drive, I get the joy of paying a lot of money in fees upfront, and then I'd have to put money down on top of all those fees (guessing they'd be around $1,000 or so) to lower the monthly payments.

I was going to e-mail my local dealers last night to see if they might be able to do it, and I'd be sure to let them know I'd be putting money down upfront, but I never got around to it. One night this week, hopefully. And I appreciate the friends and family program offer as well, but I'm even farther away than vitaminC is. If I were close by, I'd definitely be taking you up on that offer though...

Thanks for all the advice, it's really appreciated.