GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

spicypiel

Ready to race!
Mine has arrived today, it’s made by Desay Sv, which it’s the difference between desay and other brands?

Desay make the older WindowsCE based head unit, it's much cheaper but not as good as the noname linux 187A/B models.

Anyone confirmed if the RCA camera input is PAL or NTSC yet?

Last edited:

Bourne96

So I got the 330 Desay model. I drive a 2011 Jetta with two tweeters in the front pillar and 4 door speakers. For some reason, the driver side door speaker is now cutting in an out. I don’t know if I didn’t notice this before or what, but it is frustrating. Could it be possible the 330 doesn’t have enough juice as the RCD510 has, thus cutting out? Or could it be the speaker just going bad? It is only the driver side that does it. I know the 2011 has reports of electrical issues. Some even said it being winter time could have something to do with it, as the issue seems to go away in the summertime...

Besides that, I love this HU. CarPlay works great. Sometimes Spotify gets buggy, but a simple close and reopen fixes it. I hope the HU isn’t faulty or anything, shipping it back would be expensive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Red Warrior

So I got the 330 Desay model. I drive a 2011 Jetta with two tweeters in the front pillar and 4 door speakers. For some reason, the driver side door speaker is now cutting in an out. I don’t know if I didn’t notice this before or what, but it is frustrating. Could it be possible the 330 doesn’t have enough juice as the RCD510 has, thus cutting out? Or could it be the speaker just going bad? It is only the driver side that does it. I know the 2011 has reports of electrical issues. Some even said it being winter time could have something to do with it, as the issue seems to go away in the summertime...

Besides that, I love this HU. CarPlay works great. Sometimes Spotify gets buggy, but a simple close and reopen fixes it. I hope the HU isn’t faulty or anything, shipping it back would be expensive!

I very much doubt it is anything to do with the head unit. They are both 4x20 watts unless I'm mistaken. It could be a speaker going bad but it also could be broken wiring (or broken insulation causing a short) in the door wiring harness.
This happened to me recently. The mid and the bass speakers would sometimes drop out leaving only the tweeter working on the driver's door. Sometimes giving the door a whack or opening and closing it again would get them working.
Anyway, I decided to install new speakers and made custom aluminum mounts. However with my broken insulation they would short to ground. That's when I took out the wiring harness to find many broken bits of insulation.
I have a photo if you want to see it.

Also, you can try swapping the wires around on the plug going in to the head unit. You only need to swap the middle 4 wires of the 8 speaker wires as these are the ones responsible for the front doors. The wiring diagram will be on the back of the head unit as well. Then if the passenger door speakers stop working then it could be the wiring before it reaches the doors.
It was a simple enough job for me as I already had the door card and outer door skin off (do Mk6 door skins unbolt too, I don't know). Otherwise it's a lot more work.

Last edited:

Bourne96

I very much doubt it is anything to do with the head unit. They are both 4x20 watts unless I'm mistaken. It could be a speaker going bad but it also could be broken wiring (or broken insulation causing a short) in the door wiring harness.
This happened to me recently. The mid and the bass speakers would sometimes drop out leaving only the tweeter working on the driver's door. Sometimes giving the door a whack or opening and closing it again would get them working.
Anyway, I decided to install new speakers and made custom aluminum mounts. However with my broken insulation they would short to ground. That's when I took out the wiring harness to find many broken bits of insulation.
I have a photo if you want to see it.

Also, you can try swapping the wires around on the plug going in to the head unit. You only need to swap the middle 4 wires of the 8 speaker wires as these are the ones responsible for the front doors. The wiring diagram will be on the back of the head unit as well. Then if the passenger door speakers stop working then it could be the wiring before it reaches the doors.
It was a simple enough job for me as I already had the door card and outer door skin off (do Mk6 door skins unbolt too, I don't know). Otherwise it's a lot more work.

Thanks for the detailed response! That’s what someone was saying as well, it could definitely be wiring. I’ve felt that the speaker was always a little wonky as even with my old HU it would always be distorted, but it never just outright cut out. I’ll definitely try swapping the wires first before ordering a new set of speakers, just to confirm.

If you could provide a picture of the broken insulation, I’d definitely appreciate it!

The Red Warrior

If you could provide a picture of the broken insulation, I’d definitely appreciate it!

Here you go:

And after I put some heat shrink over it.

Mind you, although I've fixed the problem of it shorting out, it will continue to flex in the broken bits of insulation and may eventually cause a break in the wires themselves. Then I'll have to get the revised loom part.

Last edited:

Bourne96

Thank you for the pics!

I’m currently looking at getting new speakers, and people suggested that I get new wires anyway, especially if I want high powered speakers. In that case, I’d be replacing the wire that is currently bad anyway, right? I might just go that route since I do plan on replacing my front speakers soon anyway. Wonder how much new wiring would cost..

The Yetti

Ready to race!
Got mine in last night, took about 40 mins to install mostly because I am a complete idiot and didnt realize how to take the actual plugs off the old unit.

Sound quality is fantastic, everything is very snappy which made me realize that's something I never really appreciated about my RNS315 which was also snappy.

MFI is doesn't display any music or nav as expected. Never really used it other than just for the speed and menus and what not.

Do have a question, during the installation of my unit, I ended up snapping the harness lever thing for the quadlock (an idiot as seen above). The lock is completely off so I just pushed in the harness super tight and then reinstalled anything. There shouldn't be a problem of the unit becoming unhooked or any other issues right? I took it for a vigorous drive on some rough roads and even pounded the dash to hear for any rattles from the extra cables not connected into the new unit and had no issues.

sohe68

Anyone purchased this yet, if so how long did it take to arrive? 30 to 50 days seems a lot for the shipping price they're charging.
RCD330G Plus - R340G

Edit: seller claims 4-7 days for Europe...

I got this one, took five days from order to delivery (Sweden). Have not hooked it up yet, awaits a converter for the OEM (RGB) reverse camera. Hopefully it will work.

therealmattryun

Hey guys, picked up my 2011 GTI last week and ordered a RCD 330g that night. Got it in the mail Tuesday and installed it on the spot. Now it has just shut off on me. It seemed to have crashed while I was driving, then I couldn't get it to power back on. Still charges my iPhone when plugged in to the USB, but otherwise nothing. Anyone have anything experience anything similar?

scsikid

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally got some pics:

https://imgur.com/a/MWngD

not sure if you guys can see that.

as for OEM - most likely, it sure feels that way. The vendor did put their own sticker over the OEM one so Im not sure if it was a modified firmware or not. Not sure how we can find out.

For quality - dont get me wrong, it still feels really good. My comment is mostly for volume/tuner dials. It does feel as...dampened? However Im comparing it to my german made MK6 whilst remembering the new MK7 made in Mexico didnt feel as nice.

Not sure if I can help with usb extensions has I currently do not have any. If I find one at work, I'll try it out and report back.

I live in your area, just wanted to ask, so AM radio doesn't work? From all that I've read it doesn't but just wanted to be sure.

vinamack

I live in your area, just wanted to ask, so AM radio doesn't work? From all that I've read it doesn't but just wanted to be sure.

the radio antenna that they shipped only allows for 1 radio connection. You pick either AM or FM. My adapter came with AM. Installed it and wondered why FM was just silence. I moved the wire over to FM side on the adapter and FM works great. Alternatively I believe you can also combine the wire so you get both or get another adapter. I was too lazy and I dont listen to AM much (at all)

slobodan48

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it possible to play video off a memory card on the rcd330 plus with carplay? I have an RNS510, not sure if its worth upgrading.

Egbert

Hi all

I’m thinking of buying an RCD330 for the CarPlay functionality but am worried I’ll miss some aspects of my RCD310 DAB.

There’s not much information out there about the radio options on the unit - wondering if anyone in the UK can answer the following?

- Does RDS definitely work or not? And if so, what RDS standards does the unit support? Radio Text? Alternate Frequencies? Programme Identification? Traffic? Etc etc.

- Does the unit allow saving of custom station logos to the radio presets via SD card in the same way the new MIB2 units do?

- Has anyone tried fitting an aftermarket DAB adapter?

- Does the unit recognise existing MDI or Aux inputs via the centre armrest?

Thanks!