GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audio Crackle?

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
After the last few days I've finally got most of my audio issues resolved. The last of my issues is a very minor crackle (the sound I'm hearing is almost like the crackle sound you get with a record player every so often). It happens at all volumes and happens intermittently. It's not coming from my sub but rather my 6.5's which are running from a separate 4 channel amp. The ground wire is only about a foot long and its 8AWG and I'm pretty confident that it's location is okay. I don't hear any engine or alternator noise. I also made sure to separate the power cords with the RCA's and the ground for both amps are separated as well.

The only thing I can think of is either

1. The speaker wire is too thin (I used the wire that came with the speakers and I think it's 16awg)

2. something is wrong with the cross over (the speakers came with tweeters that connect directly to them then go to the amp, but the speakers don't have a cross over)

3. it's something to do with the Amp settings (Right now I have it an AP which is allowing all frequencies to pass rather than specifying).

The equipment I have are the Rockford Fosgate Prime 165-S (4) and Rockford Fosgate R300x4 Prime Amp. The output is LP using RCA's.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-DT

simpson110

Ready to race!
Any cuts or Knicks in the speaker where or the rca's? Or possible ya loose connection on the speaker wires or rca's, only thing I can think of.

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
None but I think I found the problem. After driving around for a while I think the problem is actually some rattling going on in the back. I had removed the rear seats for a delete and I still need to get the false floor in which will allow me to take out some of the rattling crap back there. Hopefully that will resolve the issue and I'll update once I do and include some pics of the rear as well.

-DT

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I'm using 18awg speaker wire and have no "distortion/crackle" noise in my setup. Since you didn't mention what brand of RCA cables, I would say that's the culprit. Get better RCA cables.

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
After a ton of work tonight I fixed the problem. You ere right about the RCA's. I had them running along side the remote wire. Once I changed how they were run the sound went away (at least so far I need to test it a bit more before I can say for sure). I do plan to get better quality ones that are shorter since the ones I have right now are like 20 ft long.

Do you have any suggestions in brand or type? I saw monster has some decent looking low noise RCA's and I also see crutchfield has some really nice looking ones called AudioQuest evergreen or Sydney. They've got some good ratings. Just not sure they are worth $50. I'm open to suggestions though and I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I'll also post up a pic of how I have my amps and cables run. I'm pretty proud of it.

-DT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simpson110

Ready to race!
Get shielded RCA cables of you can find them, you shouldn't have issues with interference then.

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
I ended up getting some Monster RCA's and holy crap what a difference they make. I also put the grounds from both amps together which also made a difference. I can no longer here any static or background noise. The system sounds great so far but I still have some work to do. I'm installing baffles next week for my 6.5's hopfully that will address the lack of mid bass from my drivers. I'm also going to begin work on building a custom stealth box for my Kicker L7. I'll try to get a pic of my setup posted by tomorrow. I just need to clean up a few more things before I do.

-DT

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I am a little rusty on car audio but you really need set the crossover on the amp you don't want low frequency's going to your mids and tweeters and you want to keep the high and mids from coming through your subs. You should get an audio control box.

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
I am a little rusty on car audio but you really need set the crossover on the amp you don't want low frequency's going to your mids and tweeters and you want to keep the high and mids from coming through your subs. You should get an audio control box.

Yeah you're right. I'm working on tweaking that actually. Right now I have the crossovers setup to push 120hz to the 6.5's right now, but I'll be tinkering with it a lot over the next week or so. I've got a lot of adjusting to do to get it just right and I can't really start tweaking it the way I want it until I get the baffles in and deal with the vibration issues from my sub.

-DT

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
Here are some pics of the current setup. As you can see I still have a lot of work to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk