GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The GTI Rattle and solution thread

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Would Sailkote stop the rattle that I hear from the passenger side of my dash? If so, where should I spray it?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Would Sailkote stop the rattle that I hear from the passenger side of my dash? If so, where should I spray it?

Open the doors of your car, and spray it all along the felt side of the weather stripping.
(It did't do anything noticeable on my first attempt when I applied it to the rubber.)
My car is a four door, and I've noticed that more of the rattling occurs along the back doors.
Overspray will turn to a white powder.
No need to worry about it, it comes off easily.

Fingolfin

Ready to race!
I was getting some creaking sounds when i'd go over bumps. During a visit to the dealer for maintenance I mentioned it. They said they didn't really notice it put applied said they applied some lube to the seals. That seemed to help.

The other day I put some Aerospace 303 on all the outside trim to protect from UV damage as I don't have a garage. Next day it's creaking again so I think I found the reason but has anybody ever heard of this? Odd because I didn't apply anything to the actual inside door seals.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I was getting some creaking sounds when i'd go over bumps. During a visit to the dealer for maintenance I mentioned it. They said they didn't really notice it put applied said they applied some lube to the seals. That seemed to help.

The other day I put some Aerospace 303 on all the outside trim to protect from UV damage as I don't have a garage. Next day it's creaking again so I think I found the reason but has anybody ever heard of this? Odd because I didn't apply anything to the actual inside door seals.

I've tried 303 protectant - great product, but useless as far as reducing rattles is concerned.
Gummi Pledge, and to a better result; Dielectric Grease on the rubber seals.
Only the Dielectric Grease had any appreciable result for me, and that result wasn't much to cheer about.
Sailkote applied to the felt side of the seals resulted in an immediate and very obvious reduction in the sound generated around the windows.
Oh, and seeing by my older post about it - I'm at about one month in to my application and it is still preforming well.

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
I've just begun addressing the rattles in my car. The way I decided to do it was to first remove the door panels (I have the 2dr), then remove the rear panels and all the stuff from the rear (carpets, foam, tire, etc) then I removed the rear seat belts (I won't be using them since I'll be putting in a rear seat delete). Then I drove it around to see what would rattle. Not much did but then I taped or zip tied everything making a vibration. I then added some Dynamat extreme to most of the back (I covered a good 85 to 90% of the rear up to where the rear seat bench was).

My next step is to slowly add the panels back while test driving after I put each one back in to address anything making a rattle. After I'm done with that I'll start addressing the road noise. But I need my rear seat delete because I'll be laying down a weighted vinyl mat specifically made for sound reduction then putting the false floor in for the delete which should also reduce a bit of noise. Lastly I'll mat up of the wheel wells from the outside. For that I'll have to remove the wheels but it'll be worth it.

This is how I reduced sound in my Mini Cooper and it worked really really well. I imagine the GTI will have better sound reduction as the cooper was generally loud anyway and even with all of that I still had issues with road noise. With the GTI even with most of the stuff out of right now the road noise isn't as bad as the cooper was.

I'll keep you all updated once I get it complete but I'm pretty optimistic I should cut the road noise by at least a quarter if not by half and make my audio sound even better.

-DT

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I've just begun addressing the rattles in my car. The way I decided to do it was to first remove the door panels (I have the 2dr), then remove the rear panels and all the stuff from the rear (carpets, foam, tire, etc) then I removed the rear seat belts (I won't be using them since I'll be putting in a rear seat delete). Then I drove it around to see what would rattle. Not much did but then I taped or zip tied everything making a vibration. I then added some Dynamat extreme to most of the back (I covered a good 85 to 90% of the rear up to where the rear seat bench was).

My next step is to slowly add the panels back while test driving after I put each one back in to address anything making a rattle. After I'm done with that I'll start addressing the road noise. But I need my rear seat delete because I'll be laying down a weighted vinyl mat specifically made for sound reduction then putting the false floor in for the delete which should also reduce a bit of noise. Lastly I'll mat up of the wheel wells from the outside. For that I'll have to remove the wheels but it'll be worth it.

This is how I reduced sound in my Mini Cooper and it worked really really well. I imagine the GTI will have better sound reduction as the cooper was generally loud anyway and even with all of that I still had issues with road noise. With the GTI even with most of the stuff out of right now the road noise isn't as bad as the cooper was.

I'll keep you all updated once I get it complete but I'm pretty optimistic I should cut the road noise by at least a quarter if not by half and make my audio sound even better.

-DT

Wish I had that kind of time. :cool:
I've got to tell you though, after all of that you may still find that most of the source of your noises simply comes from the contact of felt and rubber weather stripping.

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
Wish I had that kind of time. :cool:

I've got to tell you though, after all of that you may still find that most of the source of your noises simply comes from the contact of felt and rubber weather stripping.

I've decided to take my time and do everything right with this car. On my mini I cut a lot of corners and screwed up in several places. Since I love this car more than the mini I decided any mods or projects would be done right or not at all.

That being said I'm not expecting to eliminate all the noises from the cabin but I'm trying to address everything humanly possible and see where it leaves me. It may be worth it or I might end up wasting a lot of time and effort. Either way it'll be a fun journey and experience. [emoji16]

-DT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scubalude

Symptom: Snap/Pop/Creak from dashboard Vents and Instrument Cluster when hitting bumps, taking corners hard and just general temperature changes. Damn plastic peiceces.

This may sound unorthodox, but it work!

Fix: Take out all dash vents and instrument cluster, disassemble all pieces.

Vents: glue inner louvers to housing and glue outter cover with trim to housing. Let dry and reinstall.

Instrument Cluster: Glue plastic area that holds the speedo and tach to the mother board. Apply felt tape around edge of platic underneath the Speedo and Tach faces. You do this by gently lifting up on the faces. If you rub them gently together and you will hear the noise.

I also applied felt tape to the metal clips for all pieces and felt around the inside of the dash where the Instrument cluster sits.

Glue Used: Loctite stick and seal. It is flexible and can withstand moisture and temp changes.

Enjoy a much quieter driving experience:w00t: O yea Koni yellows on OEM springs help too

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
I haven't got a single rattle or creek in my car - about 60000 km (40000 mi). I love it beyond words can describe. It F'N rocks! I used to own a 2004 Acura TL, and this car is quieter. I have friends with old and new Lexus IS vehicles, the older (2008) were incredible, a hundred pounds of sound deadening material everywhere but the new (2014) IS is a piece of turd. Seriously, don't stress about rattles, these cars a made in Germany and kick butt! Internationally acclaimed World Car of the Year, etc.

Yo.SeungHyun

Ready to race!
Anyone that has the exhaust rattle, I fixed mine banging on the tin heat protecter in the back and lookEd for the edges that hit under the car and slightly bended the edges down, which fixed everything. But if it's really bad just take it out

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
ok I've done a stellar job of isolating rattles thus far (3+ years in!) but this one has me stumped. Rattle sound like its coming from behind the radio at idle. As soon as I take off or apply any gas or rev it's gone so it's just the low vibrations of idling. It drives me insane.

So far I have removed the radio and padded behind it and down below it and secured any loose wires and such with no result. Debating now on yanking out the dash vents to see if maybe its hiding in there. Anyone had something similar to this? I need to get the damn thing rattling and then pull the radio to really get a feel for it.. but what a pain in the ass.

thegave

Ready to race!
I'm starting to get a rumbling/knocking noise on my front driver's side but only at certain speeds (most noticeable 25-40 mph) and on certain roads. Even smooth ones.

It's definitely not a groan or squeak. It almost sounds like the wheel is rubbing on something but the frequency/pitch doesn't change with speed.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Symptom: Snap/Pop/Creak from dashboard Vents and Instrument Cluster when hitting bumps, taking corners hard and just general temperature changes. Damn plastic peiceces.

This may sound unorthodox, but it work!

Fix: Take out all dash vents and instrument cluster, disassemble all pieces.

Vents: glue inner louvers to housing and glue outter cover with trim to housing. Let dry and reinstall.

Instrument Cluster: Glue plastic area that holds the speedo and tach to the mother board. Apply felt tape around edge of platic underneath the Speedo and Tach faces. You do this by gently lifting up on the faces. If you rub them gently together and you will hear the noise.

I also applied felt tape to the metal clips for all pieces and felt around the inside of the dash where the Instrument cluster sits.

Glue Used: Loctite stick and seal. It is flexible and can withstand moisture and temp changes.

Enjoy a much quieter driving experience:w00t: O yea Koni yellows on OEM springs help too

Oh wow. Impressive:laugh: