GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help My Car Drop Weight

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
After 17.5lb 17x9 wheels with 245 tread and swapping out rear springs for 400lb linear Swift springs, I bring the car to a local shop for alignment and corner balance. Even with lightweight Corbeau seats, lighter brakes, spare removed, 6.6lb GU1R race battery, full track exhaust (no muffler cases), etc. the car (4-door) still weights in at 3,310lbs with my fat ass in it. I can't get this car to take a diet worth of anything.

With me at 210lbs, this mean the cars weighs in right at 3,100lbs, I guess that's not too bad for a 4-door GTI.

Last edited:

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
After 17.5lb 17x9 wheels with 245 tread and swapping out rear springs for 400lb linear Swift springs, I bring the car to a local shop for alignment and corner balance. Even with lightweight Corbeau seats, lighter brakes, spare removed, 6.6lb GU1R race battery, full track exhaust (no muffler cases), etc. the car (4-door) still weights in at 3,310lbs with my fat ass in it. I can't get this car to take a diet worth of anything.

1st suggestion Ethiopian diet lol jk.

Carbon fiber hood, fenders,doors, and trunk? I saw the doors for almost 2 grand ouch!!

https://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/-p-150884591.html?gclid=CLalo-yejNQCFY-Fswod2ukMyQ

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
remove all carpet.. youd be suprised how much carpet,headliners, and such would weigh. (Shell your car basically)

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
remote control system. remove driver

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I thought these cars weighed only a tad over 3000lbs from the factory!!

is yours a sunroof car Hyde? Sounds like you've already dropped at least 100 lbs too wow!

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

riceburner

Autocross Champion
very nice to have for the ambient light, i actually loved it on my 7. but the added weight, at such a height, plus the loss of structural rigidity was a con.

hyde i wish i had some suggestions for ya. But unfortunately overall i think you are at a point where you either need to sacrifice a lot of creature comfort or shell out some serious coin to drop extra weight. :/ and youre beautiful car is so nicely balanced i'm not sure if i would suggest either route, considering you have a perfect street/daily car

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
very nice to have for the ambient light, i actually loved it on my 7. but the added weight, at such a height, plus the loss of structural rigidity was a con.

hyde i wish i had some suggestions for ya. But unfortunately overall i think you are at a point where you either need to sacrifice a lot of creature comfort or shell out some serious coin to drop extra weight. :/ and youre beautiful car is so nicely balanced i'm not sure if i would suggest either route, considering you have a perfect street/daily car

Thank you, you are absolutely right, it's about balance.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
So my guess is youre about at the limit here Hyde unless you start sacrificing some creature comforts.

The big thing i talk about alot in my build thread is that the range of curb weights on these cars is pretty extreme for how few variants there are on the mk6. The most my car was weighed at was just south of 3100lbs when i first had it sent overseas. At that point the only real weight reduction on it was exhaust.

Your best bet is to look closely around the car and ask if there is a use for what youre looking at. I took of the rear wiper just because thats 4lbs... i never need it in the desert. Windshield wiper reservoir was going to come out as well since i cant use it with the CF hood. (Staying in now as my w/m tank)

Those onesie and twosies add up man.

A CF hood is a good option too. The weight savings there is pretty substantial and its over the heaviest area of the car.

All this being said... a 2800lb GTI with 67/33 weight dist. vs a 3100lb GTI with 59/41 are going to have some inherently different qualities on the track... and different advantages depending on the track as im sure you know.

All im saying is weight reduction in these cars can be a bit of a mixed bag. That being said it hasnt stopped me :)

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Which CF hood did you opt for? painted? What was the weight savings?

So my guess is youre about at the limit here Hyde unless you start sacrificing some creature comforts.

The big thing i talk about alot in my build thread is that the range of curb weights on these cars is pretty extreme for how few variants there are on the mk6. The most my car was weighed at was just south of 3100lbs when i first had it sent overseas. At that point the only real weight reduction on it was exhaust.

Your best bet is to look closely around the car and ask if there is a use for what youre looking at. I took of the rear wiper just because thats 4lbs... i never need it in the desert. Windshield wiper reservoir was going to come out as well since i cant use it with the CF hood. (Staying in now as my w/m tank)

Those onesie and twosies add up man.

A CF hood is a good option too. The weight savings there is pretty substantial and its over the heaviest area of the car.

All this being said... a 2800lb GTI with 67/33 weight dist. vs a 3100lb GTI with 59/41 are going to have some inherently different qualities on the track... and different advantages depending on the track as im sure you know.

All im saying is weight reduction in these cars can be a bit of a mixed bag. That being said it hasnt stopped me :)

KDOG1

Ready to race!
Drain washer fluid, remove front wipers, racing steeringwheel, removing windows and regulators, remove audio and unnessecary wiring, door panels, get rid of gf, remove brakes and rotors...... :yikes:

Best bet for weight reduction would be get a sawzaw and go mk6 convertible! Haha