GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Integrated Engineering's new HPFP technical and discussion thread.

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
The 2.0T FSI engine requires the use of a HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) delivering over 1500psi to the direct injection fuel injectors. Aftermarket tunes, hardware, and turbochargers will quickly breach the limits of the OE pump internals and will require an HPFP upgrade. After taking a close look and working with the current market offerings of aftermarket HPFP's we found many areas that needed further refinement. After years of development, and extensive testing along with many test units being sent out (to many members here even) the Integrated Engineering HPFP is finally available. This thread is a technical overview designed to give you guys insight into what we have found and designed along with answering any questions you might have about our pump or the 2.0T high pressure system.

By increasing the bore of the cylinder, we were able to increase HPFP output by 50%. That makes our pump capable of near 600hp at 7500rpm. As you can see on the dyno chart the factory fuel pump is out of fuel much earlier than the IE HPFP. Although it is capable of over 350hp at 7000rpm, it does not provide nearly that much in the lower rpm range where most quicker-spooling setups see peak power numbers. This is a great upgrade for those looking to do a big turbo setup, or even max out the factory turbo at higher boost levels.

During the early research and design phase of IE HPFP development, we put together a list of important design features we found necessary for a reliable HPFP with a long life. Here is a list of some of these unique to IE features:

Spring and retainer
In place of the factory steel spring retainer, the IE HPFP uses an ultra-lightweight titanium retainer. Our retainer was carefully FEA optimized with a deep weight reduction groove. The reduced weight minimizes the chance of pin float.
In early testing we found using a stiffer spring in the HPFP puts more pressure on the follower and causes an unnecessary increase in cam follower wear. We tested the factory spring to 8000 RPM with zero float and no additional cam follower wear. For this reason we opted to re-use the OE spring.

Custom seal
Our housing utilizes a molybdenum disulphide impregnated seal, which increases the stiffness and reduces friction on the seal. Along with this, our custom seals are spring energized to keep them sealing throughout their life with no concern of wearing and leaking. Reusing the easily damaged factory seal is likely to cause fuel to leak past the seal and into the crankcase after being damaged when new internals are installed.

Consistent diameter piston
With rigorous testing behind this product, we have determined that a consistent diameter piston is absolutely necessary. Other HPFP pistons are designed with a step down to smaller diameter. This is common practice as it allows the original seal and nut assembly to be re-used. We found this design allows less than 1/2 of the cylinder to guide the pin at the top of the stroke. This greatly increases wear, leakage past the pin, and decreases stability of the pin riding in the cylinder. Additionally, using a stepped cylinder causes a pumping action on the bottom side of the piston, which pulses fluid against the shaft seal, increasing the possibility for leakage into the cam follower region. With our consistent diameter piston, as with factory design, there is no displacement change occurring on the bottom side of the piston, so there are no pressure pulses against the shaft seal.

Nitrided piston and cylinder
From the factory, the OEM HPFP includes a nitrided piston and cylinder. This is done to harden the parts significantly, reducing wear and keeping them within wear tolerances. Nitriding is not a coating, but rather a process in which Nitrogen atoms are infused into atomic structure of the outer surface on the component. This increases its surface hardness and wear properties drastically. We have adopted this technology for the IE HPFP as it has proven to be reliable for thousands of miles and cannot chip or flake off like coated components. The thickness and composition of this Nitride layer are independently verified in a materials testing lab for each production batch.

Proprietary alloy
The material that the components are made from is very critical, which is why we chose to use a proprietary tool steel alloy for the piston and pin. The material we use was specifically chosen for its extreme resistance to wear and abrasion. These are critical factors in a system with marginal lubrication provided only by gasoline.

Precise assembly
To ensure that every complete pump leaves our facility ready to install, we assemble them in a clean environment within a Laminar flow hood, keeping contaminants away from components. Like a brain surgeon in an operating room, we take the assembly of precise components serious. We run each one of our HPFP kits on our fuel pump dyno before shipping. This is done to break-in all components and as a final quality control step. Our custom-built dyno is fitted with a motor to drive the pump exactly as if it were installed on a running FSI engine! With special electronics onboard, we are able to monitor fuel pressure and rpm, which allows us to collect data and prepare the pumps for install.

If you have any questions about our pump design or engineering process please feel free to ask! For more information on pricing, availability, or options please see here.

daltex

Passed Driver's Ed
I love IE products already, and the price point is great. I will be taking a look at this closer for the future.

- WT

Mindfields

Ready to race!
Looks like awesome product! Nice to see some great things come from my old home state! Way to rep Utah !

Icer Jo

Ready to race!
I like what I see xD what's the turn around if I send my fuel pump to you?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
Looks like awesome product! Nice to see some great things come from my old home state! Way to rep Utah !

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I like what I see xD what's the turn around if I send my fuel pump to you?

Once we receive the pump turnaround time is within 48 hours.

Icer Jo

Ready to race!
What's the most miles that you guys have on one of the newer kits? And any current (I know the release is pretty recent) reviews on the product?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
What's the most miles that you guys have on one of the newer kits? And any current (I know the release is pretty recent) reviews on the product?

We have ran many pumps on our fuel pump dyno for 300000+ miles, and have had pre-release pumps out for testing on customer cars all over the country for over a year now. We have had no failures from them either, and just sent out a request for full reviews for those pumps.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
What's your recommendation as far as mileage interval to replace the cam follower when using your fuel pump (taking into consideration that the car is driven aggressively often)?

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't increase the intervals between doing this. Cheap insurance never hurts.
Understood, just wondering based on their testing if they've found after xx,xxx miles the follower begins to show wear. I know each car will be different but if the competitors pump uses a stiffer spring than the IE one then I will purchase this pump so I'm not doing a follower every 10 times I fill my tank like some other guys seem to be doing.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Understood, just wondering based on their testing if they've found after xx,xxx miles the follower begins to show wear. I know each car will be different but if the competitors pump uses a stiffer spring than the IE one then I will purchase this pump so I'm not doing a follower every 10 times I fill my tank like some other guys seem to be doing.

Maybe you should consider this:
http://www.h2salesandservice.com/mo...m:80/Fuel-Pump-Upgrade-p/h2s-06f-103-498.htm=