GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car revs up on some start ups

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
So, on some start ups (engine semi-warm) the car idles rough for up to 10 seconds and sometimes stalls, unless I step on the accelerator

I wish my engine would occasionally auto-rev up like yours :-\ It's better than the occasional stalling/roughness a lot of us get.

BAD MAF sensor. I had the same issue about a few weeks ago.

georgy

Ready to race!
So, on some start ups (engine semi-warm) the car idles rough for up to 10 seconds and sometimes stalls, unless I step on the accelerator

I wish my engine would occasionally auto-rev up like yours :-\ It's better than the occasional stalling/roughness a lot of us get.

This used to happen to me - felt like a misfire with a CEL on some cold start ups and it would be remedied by stepping on the gas pedal.

It hasn't occurred since I changed to R8 red coils last spring (15k).

bialymike

Ready to race!

Have you checked your fuel pressure sensor. Had a similar issue at startups. Would rough idle and stall. Got a code for fuel rail system pressure too low. But no cel! Took it to a mech thinking it was my fuel pump going. Turns out there was a tsb (?) on the sensor. He changed it out and
Ive been good ever since.

i would say if it was after a minute thats the secondary intake or whatever so i heard, could be just an urban legend though.

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine does this all the time. Is op cbfa or ccta. From what I remember, the secondary air breather is there to warm up the cat faster so its ready to do its job quicker. Which I believe is why the car idles higher at cold startups for a few seconds to a minute.

Also, I thought this was a normal thing for VW's. I used to have a mk3 GTI vr6 and it would do the same thing even though we're talking 2 different engines. But...the thing is, the vr6 also had a secondary air breather. So hence why I thought all VW's did this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

H132

Ready to race!
My idle surges as well on semi warm startup, when the secondary breather filter isn't on. Surges only few hundred rpms for about ten seconds. I'm also dealing with running rich at wot which is causing repeatable cyl. 4 misfire at real high rpms. Changed coils, plugs, plug gap, compression test, have new IE valve springs...not sure what's causing it. Perhaps a post-maf leak, which is throwing off AFR or just something weird with tune. Maybe the surging idle is somehow connected, don't know.

egonsid

hello guys,

I want to leave this repair journal for anyone who had this reving problem:

In short, i had high revs in idle, not consistent rpm on the way down, check engine light and lack of power on the pedal. The problem was the sensor of the oil, was unplugged and for that reason the engine had very low oil level and also low quality one. It was solved by checking all the parts of the engine internals and rebuilding it.

in conclusion: Always check your oil level manually !

Here are the guys that helped me out, not an easy thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On9Hiugp1iY

Last edited:

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Update: PROBLEM FIXED!

It was a tuning issue apparently...

What I did:

1. Install 3bar MAP sensor
2. Install NGK BKR8EIX gapped at 0.026" from NGK PFR7B
3. Install V3.1 ROW Beta from V2.2

Problem completely fixed. Car starts up at 1k rpm and stays there consistent and stable

Last edited: