GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New wheels for my shadow blue mkvi

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum as well as new to tuning. I would like to learn as much as I can here and hope to go far into the tuning world. Anyways, I would like to get new wheels for the summer and I'm currently looking at some vmr v710's in 18x8.5 et45. I love the spoke pattern and love the matte black, but I'm starting to have second thoughts. I would love some opinions on some good wheel setups with the same size for my gti . Price range is similar to that of the vmr's. Thanks in advance!

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
you can check the official shadow blue thread, but search it off google as this forums search function sucks, google "site:golfmk6 (whatever you want)" also stage 1 is a must for this car.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Welcome man (fellow Michigander)

18x8.5 ET45 with the OEM tires of 225/40/18 looks good WHEN LOWERED (from the negative camber)

And even lowered, you'll need to do the fender screw mod & roll the fenders up front. There's people around here, in MI, that can do it....but just a heads up

Example of a local guy's GTI with 18x8.5, ET45 VMR's lowered on coilovers:

But if you're looking at the VMR710's, why not just get the TSW Nurburgrings?
They're Rotary Forged, which = lightweight

If you have the stock 18" Detroit wheels on your car, they weigh 28lbs/each
The TSW's are like 18lbs/each....a weight savings of 10lbs per wheel is HUGE! :eek:

http://tsw.com/alloy_wheels_nurburgring.php

vwrabid

Ready to race!
Hey Dan! [emoji106]

I agree. You also get some mild stretch.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Thanks so much for the replies!! I'm already stage 1, so that's taken care of. I'll have to check the shadow blue thread forsure. I'm really liking those wheels on that red gti. I did plan on lowering slightly. Quite similar to the gti in the pics. And I was planning on doing the fender mods because of rubbing. I'll have to check out the tsw wheels. I am currently on the heavy stock Detroit's. Any color suggestions? I like the black for the contrast against the blue. It helps the dark blue pop a bit more.

vwrabid

Ready to race!
Thanks so much for the replies!! I'm already stage 1, so that's taken care of. I'll have to check the shadow blue thread forsure. I'm really liking those wheels on that red gti. I did plan on lowering slightly. Quite similar to the gti in the pics. And I was planning on doing the fender mods because of rubbing. I'll have to check out the tsw wheels. I am currently on the heavy stock Detroit's. Any color suggestions? I like the black for the contrast against the blue. It helps the dark blue pop a bit more.

Thanks!

Be sure to check out/join "MIVE" if you haven't already. I lurk there too. http://michiganvw.org/forum/forum.php
A lot of helpful peeps, gtg's and classifieds and stuff.
You'll find snobordrdan, myself and a whole other cast of crazy characters. LOL.
I can get you in contact w/ a fellow Miver who rents/instructs how to fender roll.

As for color? Really subjective. Black is always a safe bet. Guaranteed too look good. Gold/bronze maybe? Check VMR's Titan Bronze. That or white is my next set.
this should keep you busy... https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmrwheels

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
I love the look of being lowered, but don't know how your guys can bare it with the roads around here. I would think it would just beat the shit out of your car.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Yea the roads are terrible but you learn where the holes and bumps are haha XD those titan bronze are cool but I really like the nurbugring in the matte bronze. I looked at it a lot today and I really think it would look good with the dark blue. I'd lose many hours on that Flickr page haha

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If you wanted "matte black" VMR's originally, I'd go with the "matte gunmetal" TSW Nurburgrings personally

The "matte bronze" wouldn't look bad either though (but, IMO, that's for the Subie crowd)

But here are some Shadow Blue & bronze wheels courtesy of Halvie on here:

Gunmetal (Sparcos) on a Shadow Blue, for example:

kbrett11

Ready to race!
I have seen those halvie pics and I fell in love with that setup. Unfortunately HRE wheels are way out of the price range haha. I dont really care for the gunmetal color honestly. I do have to admit, I am a huge subie fan/lover. I wanted an sti and almost purchased one, but the interior was god awful. so I went with the gti. as for now, the matte bronze tsw nurburgrings have my attention. I would like them to be a bit more "gold" like the hre's in the pics tho. btw thanks for all the replies folks

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I didn't mean get HRE's, lol....I just posted them for the color

Bronze Nurburgrings have my vote :thumbsup:

kbrett11

Ready to race!
I didn't mean get HRE's, lol....I just posted them for the color

Bronze Nurburgrings have my vote :thumbsup:
Haha I didn't think you meant get HREs lol. Thanks. I agree with your vote!