GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40k service

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I have now about 41k miles. I just had the DSG service at a VW dealer in MA for about $340 with a $30 coupon.

Read somewhere in this forum that the 40k miles maintenance could cost about $800 so decided to do the rest myself:

Did the R8 coil pack (cost about $80), double laser platinum spark plugs (cost about $48), Mann cabin air filter (cost about $15) replacements myself. It does not take more than 1.5 half or so. Planning to do the fuel filter (cost about $40) change next weekend.

Yeah doing as much yourself saves quite a bit. However you do know the coil packs and plugs arent called for until 60k correct? Obviously doing them early isnt bad but they are not apart of the 40k service.

Muratti

Ready to race!
Yeah doing as much yourself saves quite a bit. However you do know the coil packs and plugs arent called for until 60k correct? Obviously doing them early isnt bad but they are not apart of the 40k service.

Yeah. I have read the owner's manual and I was aware of that. Yet, just wanted to squeeze them in while doing the others :laugh:

Muratti

Ready to race!
plugs and everything are due at 40k, here are the service intervals with everything they do...

https://sites.google.com/site/cabgti/resources-1/resources#_Toc323647906

Well, here is what I got for 40K from the VW dealer I went for the DSG service:

Airbag system - visual check
Battery - check
Body: Visual Inspection for Corrosion
Brakes: Inspect brake system and shock absorber for leaks and damage, check thickness of brake pads, brake disc condition and check brake fluid level
CV joints: Check for leaks and damage
Coolant level and frost protection: Check
Door checks and mounting pins - lubricate
Dust and pollen filter: Replace
Engine and engine compartment components: Check ( from above ) for leaks and damage
Engine and engine compartment components: Check ( from below ) for leaks and damage, check transmission, final drive, and drive shaft boots
Engine oil - change
Engine oil filter - change
Exhaust system - check for damage and leaks
Headlights - check and adjust if necessary
Interior lighting and glove box lights, cigarette lighter / power outlets, horn, and all warning lamps: Check
Lighting: Front and rear lights, luggage compartment lighting, turn signals, hazard warning lights, daytime running lights, curve lighting, and automatic headlights: Check
Power steering - check fluid level
Rear window: check cleaning nozzle functionality (if applicable)
Ribbed V-belt: Check condition (if applicable)
Service interval display - Reset (if applicable)
Service sticker: Enter the date of the next service on the service sticker and apply to windshield
Sunroof and panoramic sunroof: Check, clean, and lubricate ( if applicable )
Sunroof: Open sunroof and check front water drains and clean if necessary (if applicable)
Test drive: Check braking, kick-down, steering, electrical, heating and ventilation systems, air conditioning, and handling
Tie rod ends: Check for excessive play, check boots
Tires: Check tread depth, condition wear pattern and pressure of all tires (including spare)
Tires: Rotate front to rear
Transmission: DSG (non-Automatic): Change fluid and filter
Underbody sealant - inspect for damage
Windshield washers, headlight cleaning system, and wiper blades: Check for damage and function, check fluid level and add if necessary

And for 60K miles:

Air filter element and snow filter: Replace and clean housing
Airbag system - visual check
Battery - check
Brakes: Inspect brake system and shock absorber for leaks and damage, check thickness of brake pads, brake disc condition and check brake fluid level
Dust and pollen filter: Replace
Engine oil - change
Engine oil filter - change
Rear window: check cleaning nozzle functionality (if applicable)
Replace spark plugs
Service interval display - Reset (if applicable)
Service sticker: Enter the date of the next service on the service sticker and apply to windshield
Tires: Check tread depth, condition wear pattern and pressure of all tires (including spare)
Tires: Rotate front to rear
Windshield washers, headlight cleaning system, and wiper blades: Check for damage and function, check fluid level and add if necessary

ThatRaginCajun

Hey, I am new on here.

I am due for a 40K service in about a week. I'm only at 38,000 miles but my 30K service was done almost a year ago. This is the first time I actually have to pay for my service because 10k-30k were covered under warranty and I never had to pay a dime.

I have a 2011 GTI 6 speed manual and I am pretty worried when I read some places charge up to $800 for the 40k service. I literally just replaced all my plugs and got a brand new coil pack a month ago because I had a misfire 3 days after going stage 1. I also just installed a brand new carbonio intake so it looks like i just need to replace the cabin filter which I can do myself and get an oil/filter change.

Does anyone know if my car needs a transmission fluid change since I don't have DSG? From what I read on here that's the really expensive part of the 40k service.

finklejag

Ready to race!
The 6 speed doesn't need a fluid change at 40K. It sounds like you only need a oil change and maybe the cabin filter. Do the cabin filter yourself. You can buy it from Napa and it takes maybe 3 minutes to change.

Rascal

Ready to race!
Hey, I am new on here.

I am due for a 40K service in about a week. I'm only at 38,000 miles but my 30K service was done almost a year ago. This is the first time I actually have to pay for my service because 10k-30k were covered under warranty and I never had to pay a dime.

I have a 2011 GTI 6 speed manual and I am pretty worried when I read some places charge up to $800 for the 40k service. I literally just replaced all my plugs and got a brand new coil pack a month ago because I had a misfire 3 days after going stage 1. I also just installed a brand new carbonio intake so it looks like i just need to replace the cabin filter which I can do myself and get an oil/filter change.

Does anyone know if my car needs a transmission fluid change since I don't have DSG? From what I read on here that's the really expensive part of the 40k service.

Yes, oil service and replace your cabin filter, and possibly replace fuel filter if you're picky like me. Please don't drop it off at the dealer where they will wave their hands over the car and charge you $400. Reference the owners manual and you will see this car needs little maintenance at 40k. Most of it is simply "inspect" this or that.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Very nice resource! :)
Well according to the oweners manual and service manual. No you dont do plugs or coils at 40k miles.

You do plugs in the 2.0L MPI and the 2.5L only at 40k.
You do plugs on the 2.0T and the 3.0 Hybrid at 60k miles.

So read your manual not some website about service work.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Yes, oil service and replace your cabin filter, and possibly replace fuel filter if you're picky like me. Please don't drop it off at the dealer where they will wave their hands over the car and charge you $400. Reference the owners manual and you will see this car needs little maintenance at 40k. Most of it is simply "inspect" this or that.

Assuming were just talking about a GTI the 40k service is

Visual inspection of body, brakes, shock absorbers, cv joints, check engine compartment above and below for leaks/wear, check exhaust system for leaks, damage and secure fittings, check headlight adjust as needed, check interior lighting, rear window nozzle functions.

They also
check tires and tie rods for play.
Rotate tires
check coolant level and top off as needed
check wiper fluid/ top off as needed
check power steering fluid/top off as needed
change oil/oil filter
change dust/pollen filter

and if you have a DSG they do the DSG service which includes flush of fluids and replace with new filter.

if you have the other golfs 2.5l and 2.0 mpi they do spark plugs
if you have a diesiel they do the fuel filter as well

So yes a lot of the service is a visual check/lube job. But if you're a DSG you gotta do that service(the dsg service).

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Well according to the oweners manual and service manual. No you dont do plugs or coils at 40k miles.

You do plugs in the 2.0L MPI and the 2.5L only at 40k.
You do plugs on the 2.0T and the 3.0 Hybrid at 60k miles.

So read your manual not some website about service work.

according to my owners manual in MY car I just checked it does do plugs at 40k and that's what they did 10k miles ago, so....

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I just read mine... it says 40k with plugs and the DSG service.

Ahh i just saw you have a 2010. Right? Maybe the model years are different?

*Edit nvm just re read your signature.... Finna be posting a pic of my 40k page to compare to yours.