GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Key for Key Trade in??

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
So I got a letter in the mail from my VW dealer that I bought my car from (I know, usually they just to sucker you in to the dealer) HOWEVER, this is going on the fact that you can trade your car in via keeping the same identical payment and going into a 2015 or 2016 VW... They are also throwing in the dealer's LIMITED LIFETIME powertrain warranty that they claim is recognized nationwide.

SO, I got around 24k miles on my 2014 that I've been paying for since end of 2013 and with the little mods seen below. Would you take the jump to a MK7 with the same payment starting allllll over again if you were allowed to???

I honestly hate the look of the MK7s and probably don't want to start my payments all over which answers my question, but the performance provided by the MK7 is sooooo intriguing... :iono:

Nezoid

Ready to race!
Well calculate how many payments you have made... so, example $400 x 22 months... = $8800

All estimates:
Price paid: 27,000
Payments: 8800
Price they are giving you for your car: 18200

KBB: 16,720

So if you liked and wanted the car, and the price they give you for the trade in is worth more than KBB, I'd say its a good deal.

But if you have more money into the car.. like you put a few grand down.. plus made all those payments.. Or your payments are higher and it puts you less than KBB.. bad deal...

GL in whatever you decide.

So I got a letter in the mail from my VW dealer that I bought my car from (I know, usually they just to sucker you in to the dealer) HOWEVER, this is going on the fact that you can trade your car in via keeping the same identical payment and going into a 2015 or 2016 VW... They are also throwing in the dealer's LIMITED LIFETIME powertrain warranty that they claim is recognized nationwide.

SO, I got around 24k miles on my 2014 that I've been paying for since end of 2013 and with the little mods seen below. Would you take the jump to a MK7 with the same payment starting allllll over again if you were allowed to???

I honestly hate the look of the MK7s and probably don't want to start my payments all over which answers my question, but the performance provided by the MK7 is sooooo intriguing... :iono:

You are giving them a car that costs 15k (roughly) to keep the same payment. All they are doing is taking your cash (the car) and extending your term for xx months which would be a loss on your end no matter the outcome. Now if they kept your total remaining months, kept you at the same price, and didn't extend the loan then it does raise an eye brow. Surely you would have to pay taxes anyway which come out to nearly 3k.

Vroomer

Banned
If you care about your money, being able to afford payments should be far from your main concern. Look at how much you will owe in total, and look at the interest you will be paying over the years. If you can afford the total loan amount comfortably then go ahead, but don't just go for it because you can afford the payments.

Last edited:

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
I got the same thing in the mail. It offered $2000 off the next purchase for customer loyalty. I'm going to pass, because I don't want a payment now.
But I did do pretty well on an offer like this. I had an 08' rabbit I bought new and nearly paid off. I paid $16k for it and when I traded it in for the GTI, I got $12k for it. It had 65k on it. In my case my payments went down and my insurance did too.

GTIROCKet

Ready to race!

If you can make that happen with very little money down, do it, I drove a MK7 and it is way better than the mk6. Go for the PP, well worth the money

tdiatlast

Passed Driver's Ed
I think we're all willing to "pay to play", when we're passionate about a car. You've obviously already done a good bit of "paying", setting up your car the way you want.

Regardless of any "deal", you're starting all over.

This whole process will cost you MUCH more than you're anticipating. Financially, it's a very bad idea. You've also stated that you really don't like the looks of the car.

Stop dreaming :lol:and enjoy how green the grass is on THIS side of the fence!

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Thanks guys. I can always count on the forum to provide the cold hard truth when your doubting yourself, lol.

I guess the hard truth is that, there is no real way to make a good financial situation out of this. It's almost like just leasing my current car and hoping to the next but after already dumping a nice down payment on this car and into the little mods provided, I'm already far in the opposite direction of this benefiting me in any way.

I think I'll just wait until my car is fully paid off and then see how the MK8 landscape looks.

Thanks!

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion

Yeah, if you modify your car, I'm fairly certain you can kiss that limited lifetime powertrain warranty goodbye!

Nope!

I don't care for the red stripe through the headlights. I was going to pinstripe over my red grill stripes, and if one does that on the MK7, it will just look retarded with the red lines still going through the headlight.

Now let's get to handling. I find the MK7 GTI still has a horrible roll center just like its predecessors. I also wanted to see if they improved the stock radio for giggles, but they didn't leave a cable in there for me to connect my iPhone when I took one on a test drive.

On the plus side, I find the steering better in the MK7 than the MK6. Also, stock, off the lot, power is better. I wonder if lightning is about to strike me since I actually said something positive about a VW?

finklejag

Ready to race!
Say you are paying $400 a month and have 36 months left on your MK6. Now you are going to pay $400 month and have a new loan for 72 months. That's $14,000 more in payments for pretty much the same car you are driving. I feel the MK7 is too similar to the MK6 to upgrade for me.

fastandfurious

Ready to race!
I got that too from my dealer.
What they fail to precise is that it's for their mass model such the Jetta or the standard golf.
You will get a deal for a new GTI but certainly not have identical payment.
If I wanted to a new GTI, I had to re do another 5 years payment and it would still cost me more than what I am paying right now