GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Funny noise/click/bang in suspension or steering

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Hi all,

I started noticing a whacking noise, not quite a bang but not quite a click in the steering when make aggressive turns. It happens about midway to full lock in either direction usually when transiting from one direction to the other. It doesn't happen all the time. It seemed to start after the last Auto-X I did in June, i got 16 runs in so that definitely contributed to it. I imagine its something just getting worn or loose. Just hit 80,000 miles so it could be time to replace some bushings or suspensions components.

Any direction in what to check or suggestions would be appreciated.

stock suspension?

Can you hear if its from the front or back? First thing I would do is to check all nuts and bolts + sway bar end links + subframe cause those are easy checks.

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Can you hear if its from the front or back? First thing I would do is to check all nuts and bolts + sway bar end links + subframe cause those are easy checks.

definitely from the front, can hear and feel it nearly below my feet, sway bar bushings, or bolts was my first thought. I'll have to get it on a lift in the next week or two

Colejm1

Sounds like the subframe, a huge issue in MKV's and fixable by spacers/tightening/replacing bolts. ECS has a kit.

definitely from the front, can hear and feel it nearly below my feet, sway bar bushings, or bolts was my first thought. I'll have to get it on a lift in the next week or two

Feel it??!?! wow...

mrnetzley21

Ready to race!
its definitely your subframe. probably just needs to be tightened. i had the same issue with mine only happened on turns.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
^^

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
I had the same sort of thing (felt it, heard it) after I got my FSB installed. Turns out it got loose on my first spirited drive and was sliding and banging. Got it torqued down good and never heard it again. Try grabbing it and moving it around.

I think if the subframe is moving you can see the scrape marks around its edge. ECS has some kit, as does Tyrolsport deadset subframe collars but the tyrol kit is much pricier.