GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 brake setup

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Getting the stage 2 update from Apr next week. Curious to see what other stage 2 people run for their brake setup. I'm currently on oem pads and rotors. Was planing on getting stoptech street performance pads but stick with oem rotors. What do you run/suggest? Thanks

brobst

Go Kart Champion
There are several intermediate sized bbk that people run. The size of your kit will depend on your application. Daily driver, pads, rotors, fluid probably fine. Looking for more track application, probably should invest in bigger caliper then.
You will see some 17z and 18z calipers are popular here, golf r brakes, and stoptech bbks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Thanks for the timely response. It is my daily driver, but I'm a very spirited driver. I just feel like stock brake setup may not be sufficient at times. Would a simple pad upgrade provide the necessary upgrade I need?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Thanks for the timely response. It is my daily driver, but I'm a very spirited driver. I just feel like stock brake setup may not be sufficient at times. Would a simple pad upgrade provide the necessary upgrade I need?

stoptech pads are a nice upgrade over oem and should be up to the task of spirited dailying and autox. To improve the pedal feel check out a tyrolsport master bracket, made a huge difference.

mfractal

Ready to race!
This. Stiffening kit, SS brake lines and good pads make a world of difference!

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'll have to look into the stiffening kit and master bracket. I think for now tho I'll roll with stoptech pads and see how I like it. Should I keep stock rotors? Is there no real improvement with going slotted or drilled?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I personally would do Pads and rotors(whether they are OEM or after market) get new rotors to go with the new pads this way you have a nice fresh bed.

Also SS lines and a change of fluid wouldnt hurt.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
stoptech pads will dust like HELL.
I would recommend HAWK pads

Odd. I've heard the opposite, that stoptech doesn't have brake dust as bad as the hawks. Also noticed more people prefer the stoptechs over hawk. I will still look into hawks more. I have time before I need new brakes and rotors. Anyone have any suggestions or opinions on rotors? Oem vs aftermarket, slotted or drilled, for a stage 2 spirited daily driver setup.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
I personally would do Pads and rotors(whether they are OEM or after market) get new rotors to go with the new pads this way you have a nice fresh bed.

Also SS lines and a change of fluid wouldnt hurt.

Not familiar with brake line upgrades. Will this just create more pressure for a quicker stop? Or will this just improve pedal engagement?

Lupin

Ready to race!
Odd. I've heard the opposite, that stoptech doesn't have brake dust as bad as the hawks. Also noticed more people prefer the stoptechs over hawk. I will still look into hawks more. I have time before I need new brakes and rotors. Anyone have any suggestions or opinions on rotors? Oem vs aftermarket, slotted or drilled, for a stage 2 spirited daily driver setup.

I am a detailer so I pay immense amount of attention to the cleanliness of my car including wheels. The dust is significantly noticeable more than OEM pads. I did however applied 2 coats of ceramic coating on it. which helped with dust not sticking to the wheels.

zrickety

The Fixer
The ECS slotted/drilled rotors have been great for me. Roughly 50k on them.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Not familiar with brake line upgrades. Will this just create more pressure for a quicker stop? Or will this just improve pedal engagement?

stainless lines provide more consistent brake pressure, longer lasting corrosion resistance, and increased protection from failure. factory style rubber hoses are prone to expansion under the pressure of hard braking. which creates a firmer pedal, and a more direct pedal feel.

So yeah basically reduces expansion which improves pedal feel and they should hold up longer than the rubber and are less likely to have a issue.

As far as Stoptech vs Hawk i dont think you can go wrong with either both are good brands.

Rotors are big debate. Some people swear that the slotted/drilled rotors as just a gimmick and dont do anything performance wise which is kinda true but kind of not. They wont do much on a street non track driver car.

Basically you cant go wrong with any choices. Smooth surface rotors with good pads will perform just as good as slotted or drilled.

Now for a mini learn sesh.

Slotted rotors have slots in them that allow gas and dust to vent during repeated heavy braking applications (IE track time) this helps keep the pad contacting the rotor as much as possible. Although now a days with all the new pad technology gas discharge isnt to big of a concern anymore. So you will get some benefit with slotted rotors wicking the dust off the rotors to keep a good contact surface with the pads but you may never actually see the need for it if your not doing a lot of braking consecutively.

Drilled rotors were originally designed to cool the rotors quickly and to help with gas/dust discharge. The allowed airflow to go inbetween the rotor and cool it even more so. Again with the new pads technology there isnt to much of a need for this. (One disadvantage is there have been some cases (during races and extreme repeated high heat braking) that the driller rotors cracked between holes) Youll never probably ever see the abuse required to do that unless your doing a vary high speed to slow track even for a while(IE Race environment)

The main pro of buying slotted or drilled rotors? LOOKS. people like the way they look, they look cool and different from the "boring"(Yet vary effective) smooth surface rotors. I personally wouldnt buy OEM because they are usually way more expensive than their equal counter parts.

ECS tuning does sell some decent brake kits.
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Braking/Service_Kits/

You can choose OEM style pads and rotors or performance rotors/pads just go through and look at all the options or if you dont see one you like you can always just buy them separate or wherever you like.