GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird issues with XDS & ABS interrupting normal driving when it should not be

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone had any weird issues with XDS & ABS interrupting normal driving when it should not be?

I just got an alignment and new tires and all of a sudden the XDS is interrupting when I'm making normal turns (for example, an exit). I'm not ripping on the turn and there is zero tire squeal. It seems extremely confused and definitely not normal.

What is worse is when I accelerate to higher speeds, the steering rack seems to pull left and right on its own abruptly. It is definitely dangerous and it feels like the XDS is locking up the left and right tires on its own.
I plan on running a full VCDS diagnostics later tonight and going to attempt to readjust the steering angle module (VCDS).

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this might be happening?

red_stapler

Ready to race!
The steering rack pulling abruptly sounds like DSR.

It sounds like either the steering position / yaw / etc. sensors are giving an erroneous reading.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
I did a quick Google search and found some stuff.

Here is a quick excerpt that goes into a really detailed explanation of the problem in general "The next false-activation scenario involves the ESC system. The source of the problem can be more than one sensor and can even be traced to alignment *angles....Some customers may complain the ESC activates on slower corners or on highway off ramps."

Source: http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/false-abs-esc-activation-causes-and-cures/

I also found a couple VW specific issues resulting from an alignment much like your describing by searching "vw abs after alignment".

Hope that helps, but it appears you are on the right track from what I've read.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Thank's for the replies.

I loaded up vcds and it looks like my steering angle reads it being off by -1.15* when it's centered on a flat road. I couldn't reset the module unfortunately--the coding option was grayed out.

Plan B: disconnect the battery for a few hours to reset all the settings! ha

onefastGTI1

Ready to race!
How do you read the steering angle? I've had 5 alignments by a track focused shop and my steering still has to be at 11 o clock to go straight even though specs are perfect.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Three hours unplugged wasn't enough to reset it. I updated VCDS and figured out that I already had unlocked Basic Settings but unfortunately, when I selected Group 060 (Steering angle sensor) it gave me an error...

I'm just about out of ideas.

How do you read the steering angle? I've had 5 alignments by a track focused shop and my steering still has to be at 11 o clock to go straight even though specs are perfect.

Advanced Measuring Values in VCDS allows you to see the values of the steering angle sensor.

rawag77

Ready to race!
I had a similar problem after a wreck. My main difference was that it only engaged on high speed, sweeping curves (80+mph). Neither the body shop nor the dealership could figure out what the problem was. That was 2-3 months ago and the problem has slowly just kinda gone away. Sorry I don't have an answer for you. Maybe reset TPMS or test with XDS and the steering assist turned off?

Have you had your clockspring replaced under recall?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I don't appear to be the only one having this problem: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45934

I had a similar problem after a wreck. My main difference was that it only engaged on high speed, sweeping curves (80+mph). Neither the body shop nor the dealership could figure out what the problem was. That was 2-3 months ago and the problem has slowly just kinda gone away. Sorry I don't have an answer for you. Maybe reset TPMS or test with XDS and the steering assist turned off?

Have you had your clockspring replaced under recall?

I have.

I just ran a steering angle reset process but this did not help unfortunately... I'm ready to take it to VW to get this checked out, it doesn't feel safe driving it. I'm pretty peeved.

One thing I noticed is that full lock to lock angles are off by ~7.44*
Left: 542.94*
Right: 535.50*

I'm not sure if this is a major issue or not...

rawag77

Ready to race!
I don't appear to be the only one having this problem: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45934

I have.

I just ran a steering angle reset process but this did not help unfortunately... I'm ready to take it to VW to get this checked out, it doesn't feel safe driving it. I'm pretty peeved.

One thing I noticed is that full lock to lock angles are off by ~7.44*
Left: 542.94*
Right: 535.50*

I'm not sure if this is a major issue or not...

Yeah it's definitely frustrating. If i get a chance, I'll check mine tonight to see how it compares. Have you tried logging the Brake Electronics while this is happening? That was my next step before mine stopped so i never got around to it. Wasn't sure it was even possible though.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I still can't figure this out for the life of me.

I've tried playing around with xds settings, brake booster settings, recalibrated the steering angle sensor... phuck.

rawag77

Ready to race!
I still can't figure this out for the life of me.

I've tried playing around with xds settings, brake booster settings, recalibrated the steering angle sensor... phuck.

Any updates on this? I just got an alignment on Sunday and, sure as sh!t, this problem comes back when i drive the toll on Monday. I think the only thing that was adjusted was my front toe (same old tires). I'll start diving in with vag-com this weekend.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Yes, I do actually. I just got two new tires installed and another alignment. This time, I went to VW to get it done. The outcome is perfect. The car drives straight, steering feels wonderful (likely due to fresher tires more than the alignment), and I have no ABS issues.

I got my alignment in August when I created this thread and here is the before/after:
**It is worth noting, the roads in NJ are pretty bad and potholes are EVERYWHERE**

August 2016 - STS Tire

February 2017 (6 months later) - VW Dealer

rawag77

Ready to race!
Did you by any chance ask if they do some sort of reset procedure after the alignment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Did you by any chance ask if they do some sort of reset procedure after the alignment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't ask if they did it; however, I did ask them to reset the steering angle while it was on the alignment rack. I tried doing it when I started getting this issue and it did NOT solve the problem. It DID eventually go away on its own, but it lingered for probably 3 months.

Did you get a print out of your before/after?

I really do suspect that the shop I went to just flat out did a sh*t job. There are a lot of ways to fudge an alignment (so I've been told). A simple example would be, if you don't strap the alignment sensors properly to the wheels, your car will not be aligned properly.

Notice that my thrust angle is off by .01 in my previous alignment. And there was a lot of red... just all of it was terrible.

rawag77

Ready to race!
I do but the tech forgot to save the before settings.:mad0259: He did say the toe was out pretty bad.

Everything is in the green now except my right front camber is at -1.3. Left is -1.1. I was getting a lot of inner wear on my fronts and it was driving funny. It drives better now since the alignment, aside from the ESC kicking in. Not sure if i should be concerned with that camber. Spec is -1.2, according to my sheet.

If i can't figure this out, i may have to take it to the dealer.