GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone had the rear main seal replaced? Leaks?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
My rear main seal went out a few months ago.. I found the aftermarket part through DAP. WOW that piece is impressive holding it up next to the oem "seal". How can you go wrong with billet??? haha My mechanic was pretty impressed with it as well. I don't know for certain but assumed my PCV failed creating excess pressure which blew out the seal so I did the PCV too.
Brian

Link for those interested,
https://shopdap.com/rear-main-seal-failure-on-vw-and-audi-2-0t-tsi-engines/

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
This annoys me bc they recently replaced my PCV under warranty bc it was faulty. This could definitely cause failure of the RMS... frustrating.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
don't think so as APR doesn't replace the PCV? Something like Forge or 034 would fix it I assume.

I think it reroutes the PCV so I guess it won't let the crankcase pressure to elevate to the point of messing up the Rear Main Seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I replaced mine this year when I changed my clutch. Mine wasn't leaking but replaced it for peace of mind. Heres are the only pictures I took. I replaced it with the upgraded part. Definitely better quality. Top picture is upgraded RMS installed and bottom picture is old RMS.

Interesting, you installed your seal opposite compared to the way I installed mine.

I just installed mine a few weeks ago when replacing my clutch, and I can't speak highly enough about the quality of the iABED RMS.

11gti718

Ready to race!
Interesting, you installed your seal opposite compared to the way I installed mine.

I just installed mine a few weeks ago when replacing my clutch, and I can't speak highly enough about the quality of the iABED RMS.

I was clueless as to what was the proper orientation for that seal. I guess I did install it backwards lol. Thank god it hasn't leaked since. **knock on wood**. I guess tjat shows how good that product is. Since it doesnt leak even if seal is installed wrong lol

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I was clueless as to what was the proper orientation for that seal. I guess I did install it backwards lol. Thank god it hasn't leaked since. **knock on wood**. I guess tjat shows how good that product is. Since it doesnt leak even if seal is installed wrong lol

The only real difference is that the outside lip provides dust/dirt protection, while the inner spring lip provides the actual oil seal. In your case, the dust seal is on the inside, and the oil seal is on the outside. Considering that I don't think much dust will accumulate on the shaft, it should be fine.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thinking about doing this since my trans needs to get dropped to install an LSD.

The car is at 85,000 miles and doesn't seem to be leaking any oil and I have not had any PCV issues. So just doing this preventatively.

That being said. If I upgrade the rear main seal is there anything else that can be more serious if the PCV ever goes bad and crankcase pressure builds up? Would it be better to have a rear main seal that will sacrifice itself rather than deal with any effects of increased crankcase pressure? Can increased crank pressure cause bent rods or valves?

daddydjken

Ordered iABED RMS and can't wait to install it.

Does it requires to drain the DSG oil?

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk