GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

Ramses82

Hi Alex,

I'm not familiar with software version 5515 so I'm not clued up on the issues with it. If you'd like to try the 5314 software then let me know - i'm still using it daily with no bugs.

Bluetooth C210 will likely be a software update, not hardware. Therefore I see no prob with your unit using the 5314 firmware.

Does anyone know what additional features C210 brings?

Thanks everyone. I might give it a try then!
Have you got a link to the firmware?
I can live with only 2 volumes, that is not an issue.

And I am sure that when a new firmware will come up we will start to know eheheh

praxidike

I had this problem with my Pixel 2 XL, but it stopped happening when I let it connect to Bluetooth first, then plugged in the USB cord. If I plugged USB in first before the Bluetooth connection, same issue as you.

I do this as well, if I just plug it in before turning on the ignition or waiting for it to connect via Bluetooth it will disconnect my S3 watch, I see this is a common problem with AA though.

Always best to wait until its connected via Bluetooth and then plug it in to usb and unplug before you turn the car off.

Never had an issue if I follow this rule of thumb.

Just tried doing it that way this morning and seems to pair a little smoother. Thanks for the tip. I have a Pixel XL as well :)

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Would have to disagree with you just a little there, I had the full RNS 510 system in mine and yes it was a fantastic system and integrated into the MFD and everything, I changed mine out mainly because of android auto. Maps that up up to the minute correct (google or waze maps) as having to wait for VW to release maps and then when they do they charge you an obscene amount for them is just beyond belief. Spotify and or google play for my music and any question I want to ask google at the push of a button on my steering wheel. It brings my 2011 gti right up to my current tech needs.

I can see more pluses then negatives in upgrading to one of these units IMO

I will have to disagree with you as well. It is well known the 315 boots much faster than the 510 the 315 has a smaller screen but IMO its a better head unit overall.

Maps? I get mine updated annually for $99

I dont like being dependent on a cell signal for my maps like most Android devices do. Now a days you can download your route on Android, but if you do that then your up to date part just went out the window.

I also like how mine shows the speed limit and gives me a warning if I am speeding.

I get people wanting more tech in the car, I get it. But these units that are out there are not of the greatest quality from I have seen first hand, buttons feel cheap, screen touch isn't very good, but for the money? I guess you can buy a new one every so often.

For me? I am not an audiophile, was, but not anymore, I like the simplicity and integration of the OEM unit to the MFD display. That is something I use everyday and if an aftermarket unit will not work with MFD like the OEM unit does? I just am not interested.

If they do get it to work? Then I may jump on the bandwagon like everyone else.

Jeff

spicypiel

Ready to race!
I will have to disagree with you as well. It is well known the 315 boots much faster than the 510 the 315 has a smaller screen but IMO its a better head unit overall.

Maps? I get mine updated annually for $99

I dont like being dependent on a cell signal for my maps like most Android devices do. Now a days you can download your route on Android, but if you do that then your up to date part just went out the window.

I also like how mine shows the speed limit and gives me a warning if I am speeding.

I get people wanting more tech in the car, I get it. But these units that are out there are not of the greatest quality from I have seen first hand, buttons feel cheap, screen touch isn't very good, but for the money? I guess you can buy a new one every so often.

For me? I am not an audiophile, was, but not anymore, I like the simplicity and integration of the OEM unit to the MFD display. That is something I use everyday and if an aftermarket unit will not work with MFD like the OEM unit does? I just am not interested.

If they do get it to work? Then I may jump on the bandwagon like everyone else.

Jeff

While I do agree on most of it, android's google maps will update the maps info every time it gets wifi. You lack traffic data etc but the actual maps should remain current. You actually need wifi every 60 days iirc or it invalidates the data and you need to download it fresh.

Waze shows current speed/speed limit on the road if you want.

I'm interested to know how the MFD works on cars that have this head unit from factory, indian vento/polo for example. Do they show the information?

Given the MIB2 in the golf mk5/6 will show the navigation/music data on an appropriate set of clocks in the car I'm questioning what's preventing it working.

richterat83

Passed Driver's Ed
Both my cars are the peasant trim level with no touch screen, so not having MFD integration is not a deal breaker.

With the update to android auto, the phone must be plugged into the unit fir it to work?

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
While I do agree on most of it, android's google maps will update the maps info every time it gets wifi. You lack traffic data etc but the actual maps should remain current. You actually need wifi every 60 days iirc or it invalidates the data and you need to download it fresh.

Waze shows current speed/speed limit on the road if you want.

I'm interested to know how the MFD works on cars that have this head unit from factory, indian vento/polo for example. Do they show the information?

Given the MIB2 in the golf mk5/6 will show the navigation/music data on an appropriate set of clocks in the car I'm questioning what's preventing it working.

I doubt it does integrate with our MFD because if it did it would be a HUGE selling point. Why wouldn't they advertise that?

Thing is now your adding another app like you mentioned.

These Android, Apple devices are awesome, dont get me wrong, but they are dependent on cellular technology to work properly or to extract the most out of their features.

If you live in a rural area like I do, where cellular service is C R A P you cant take advantage of most of these features.

My OEM SatNav even when my cell signal is nill, I still get perfect on the spot directions.

If you ask my wife about Google Maps she will give you a story. Her car has no SatNav and she uses her Android device to stream Maps through her car. It is wrong about 80% of the time why? Because when she is off network, like we are most of the time being in a rural area, and we "Roam" our devices kick in a VPN. When the VPN is on, she all of a sudden gets directions for her being in Thailand, or China, Or Australia, haha

So dont use a VPN and be venerable? haha. That is a whole other discussion.

So yeah, its a cool idea, but the reliability and accuracy plus integration of the OEM units is just in my usage "better" overall.

Sure my RNS 315 has a small screen and no bells and whistles, but it works flawlessly, is snappy, sounds good and is easy to use.

These Android Units though are cool in their own right, just not enough quite yet to get me to make a switch.

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Both my cars are the peasant trim level with no touch screen, so not having MFD integration is not a deal breaker.

With the update to android auto, the phone must be plugged into the unit fir it to work?

^^^^^^ in this guys case, a car without factory SatNav these type of Android Devices are a home run.

I would do this kind of thing if my car had no factory SatNav for sure.

Jeff

richterat83

Passed Driver's Ed
^^^^^^ in this guys case, a car without factory SatNav these type of Android Devices are a home run.

I would do this kind of thing if my car had no factory SatNav for sure.

Jeff

That's what I was hoping to hear! Now to get the wife to sign off on 2 of them lol.

Also, what do you guys do with your phones when they're connected? I currently use a CD player mount (since i only stream via bluetooth with my stock radio) and LOVE it, but with the Android Auto integration, i don't need to see it nor can I use it since it doesn't have a disc slot.

I DO however use my cup holders regularly and don't want my phone laying in there.

Egbert

I’m going risk controversy here and suggest we contain our expectations of what functionality might ever be brought to these units.

At heart, the RCD330 is a simple one-box solution for bringing a bunch of modern technologies to an automotive platform that VW abandoned five years ago - but that still persists in factories in the developing world where they work in tandem with third party manufacturers.

We’ll probably never see MFD integration, support for MDI, external amps or USB - or a version with DAB/HD Radio, or even full RDS - all because those technologies don’t get used in the basic cars for which the RCD330 is designed, or because the relevant broadcast networks don’t exist in those countries. We’re just fortunate that there’s enough universality baked in that we can plug and play across the PQ platform in cars like ours for which the unit was never intended.

I’m gradually getting happy with this. I’ve given up MDI, MFD and DAB, but gained a whole world of up to the minute info at my fingertips. It seems a reasonable trade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

praxidike

That's what I was hoping to hear! Now to get the wife to sign off on 2 of them lol.

Also, what do you guys do with your phones when they're connected? I currently use a CD player mount (since i only stream via bluetooth with my stock radio) and LOVE it, but with the Android Auto integration, i don't need to see it nor can I use it since it doesn't have a disc slot.

I DO however use my cup holders regularly and don't want my phone laying in there.

I moved my USB and I keep phone under the climate controls.

I also recently retrofitted a MK6 MFSW into my MK5

dadjoke

Are there any iPhone 8/X users out there and if so, have you experienced any issues when plugged into your RCD330? I'm preparing to upgrade, but want to check around first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbybasic

I just had this unit arrive from eBay, and used the firmware on here to update it with Android Auto. I did get a variant error and had to update to 5515 and then back to 5314.

Headunit on eBay

I clicked Buy It Now on Dec 24, and it was delivered on Jan 3. I did get a $19 fee at the door from UPS, but it was likely because it passed through Montreal on its way to Newfoundland, Canada. I seem to only ever get dinged when packages go through there.

I also ordered these two parts so that I can relocate the USB port to the row of buttons ahead of the shifter.

USB Cable

USB Button

When they arrive I'll post a photo to show which wires I ended up soldering to the headunit.

I’m looking forward to seeing how you go about doing this [emoji2]

Thanks everyone for sharing the knowledge!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobbybasic

I’m going risk controversy here and suggest we contain our expectations of what functionality might ever be brought to these units.

At heart, the RCD330 is a simple one-box solution for bringing a bunch of modern technologies to an automotive platform that VW abandoned five years ago - but that still persists in factories in the developing world where they work in tandem with third party manufacturers.

We’ll probably never see MFD integration, support for MDI, external amps or USB - or a version with DAB/HD Radio, or even full RDS - all because those technologies don’t get used in the basic cars for which the RCD330 is designed, or because the relevant broadcast networks don’t exist in those countries. We’re just fortunate that there’s enough universality baked in that we can plug and play across the PQ platform in cars like ours for which the unit was never intended.

I’m gradually getting happy with this. I’ve given up MDI, MFD and DAB, but gained a whole world of up to the minute info at my fingertips. It seems a reasonable trade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey Egbert, regarding DAB, do you think this work be compatible? It’s hidden and controlled through the steering wheel controls.

http://www.autodab.com/productitem.aspx?Manf=VW&model=Polo&ProductNo=CTDAB-VW2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk