GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GIAC Stage 1 Review!

Retro1

Ready to race!
GIAC Stage 1+ Review!

Hey guys,

I barely had about 1500 miles on the car .. I already thought the stock GTI was fast compared to my '94 Camry with super l33t VVTI but after getting the stage 1 flash from GIAC .. fuck. I went to TAG Motorsports in Escondido, CA just cause I was in the area getting some Phil's BBQ AND GIAC was happening to have a sale.. got Stock/Pump/Race/Valet for $600. The guys there are awesome and had a lot of nice cars in the garage. Whole ECU removing/flashing/re-install process took about an hour and a half.

The torque is intoxicating and pulls in every single gear! Everyone is right when they say that the flash is a night and day difference and it is WELL WORTH the $600. It also came with a flashloader handheld but I'm probably going to see if I can do a trade for the GIAC DTM (Android switcher). If I get it I'll post some videos of it working (I don't have a boost gauge [yet]/VAG-COM so I can't really show numbers actually changing, but I can show the switching process I guess).

Another thing that I love about the tune is that it decreases throttle lag and the boost just puts you right in your seat and throws your head back.

I swear, the stock GTI should have came with this power out of the factory. Then again... the Golf R would probably seem not much of an upgrade compared to the GTI with that power.

I'm already craving an exhaust... and unfortunately I have to put a Neuspeed intake 'cause California.

-Retro

Last edited:

JhnR

Banned
:thumbsup:

Deaks2

Ready to race!
The 1MZ-FE or 5S-FE in your 1994 Camry didn't have VVTi.

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Oh C'MON. Way to break my heart :(

It's okay, it had a shitty paint job, oil problems, and engine mount problems.
;)

GTIpilot1

Ready to race!
Glad to hear you're happy with your GIAC tune :)

It was between them and Uni for me... I'm glad I went Unitronic.. their customer service is incredible (not saying GIAC's isnt, of course)

TASWV

Passed Driver's Ed
Glad to hear you're happy with your GIAC tune :)

It was between them and Uni for me... I'm glad I went Unitronic.. their customer service is incredible (not saying GIAC's isnt, of course)

Giac customer service blows. I emailed them 4 weeks ago in regards to some questions i had, and havent heard from them since.

Retro1

Ready to race!
Giac customer service blows. I emailed them 4 weeks ago in regards to some questions i had, and havent heard from them since.

Odd.. the customer service they've provided to me has been nothing but great even before they knew I was getting a flash. Try again!

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
I drive my car like a grandma most times, and the tune does help with throttle response, I must say.
But it brings a smile when I mash it and it boogies. Comparing it to my MKV and APR stage 1, it doesn't have the same immediate "OMFG" torque pull, and seems smoother. I don't know the boost differences, but my APR was pushing around 22PSI at STG1.

Weird. Before I got my tune I asked them quite a few questions via e-mail and they responded promptly. Except for the one time they stated they were out of the office for a week or so. Go figure.

ZeroRT

Ready to race!
Comparing it to my MKV and APR stage 1, it doesn't have the same immediate "OMFG" torque pull, and seems smoother. I don't know the boost differences, but my APR was pushing around 22PSI at STG1.

So are you happy with this tune vs the APR in your MKV?

Retro1

Ready to race!
I drive my car like a grandma most times, and the tune does help with throttle response, I must say.
But it brings a smile when I mash it and it boogies. Comparing it to my MKV and APR stage 1, it doesn't have the same immediate "OMFG" torque pull, and seems smoother. I don't know the boost differences, but my APR was pushing around 22PSI at STG1.

Weird. Before I got my tune I asked them quite a few questions via e-mail and they responded promptly. Except for the one time they stated they were out of the office for a week or so. Go figure.

Curious.. did your MPG go up? I think my did after the tune hahaha. But yeah I try to drive like a grandma too unless there's a G35 or Civic pretending to be fast.

But yeah I agree.. dat omfg torque pull.. I know dat feel.

Last edited:

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
So are you happy with this tune vs the APR in your MKV?

Right now it's like comparing apples to oranges. THe MKV had a suspension and intercooler. I don't remember my STG1 before those things, as it was over 4 years ago when the car was stock.
I think if I had a nice intercooler in the MKVI they'd be fairly similar.