GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 04-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
gparker

Drives: 2013 Golf R
Front Tire Rub

I recently bought a Golf R with a full APR stage 2, lowered on VWR street sport coilovers. It is not a huge drop but I can't say how much as I am not sure what the stock hight is. The rims / tires are 19x8.5 ET45 with 235/35s. From what I have been able to tell, this fitment is tight but probably should work. However, while the prior owner did remove the fender screw, the tab is still in place. The tires are rubbing on the tab (see picture) and has damaged the tire. I have seen it said to simply push the tab up but I am not sure that will be enough. Has anyone actually cut our the tab. Is there any issue with that assuming you do it carefully.

A couple questions:

Does anyone know the stock ride hight, presumably from the center of the hub to the wheel arch.

I am not sure if there is a spacer on the hub as well. In the picture attached there is a seam followed by a 15mm section. As I haven't been able to find any pictures on the net, I'm not sure if this is just the stock hub or not. I figured I'd ask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1465 resize.jpg (195.4 KB, 622 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1466 resize.jpg (207.8 KB, 533 views)
gparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
Dun Dun
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 golf
it's kinda hard to tell from the pictures maybe try taking some further out for reference. my brothe has a 12' R but he's stationed in NC otherwise i'd measure for you
Dun Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
Gearshifter
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: Golf r
just get a grinder and shave it off. at the tap. or roll your fenders.
Gearshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
schwabo
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 Golf
I'm running 18x8 ET45 with 235/40/18 and no rubbing on VWR Springs.

I did however have 19x8.5 with 225/35/19 and stock springs and did NOT rub, so the combo you have going on is pushing it. Change the wheels and/or tires to avoid rubbing, simple as that.
schwabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
Get some smaller wheels..18x8 or 8.5 et45 and go with 225 tires. No sense in having a stage II R that you can't rip through corners with!
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
TLud
Autocross Newbie

Drives: Rising Blue Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gparker View Post
I recently bought a Golf R with a full APR stage 2, lowered on VWR street sport coilovers. It is not a huge drop but I can't say how much as I am not sure what the stock hight is. The rims / tires are 19x8.5 ET45 with 235/35s. From what I have been able to tell, this fitment is tight but probably should work. However, while the prior owner did remove the fender screw, the tab is still in place. The tires are rubbing on the tab (see picture) and has damaged the tire. I have seen it said to simply push the tab up but I am not sure that will be enough. Has anyone actually cut our the tab. Is there any issue with that assuming you do it carefully.

A couple questions:

Does anyone know the stock ride hight, presumably from the center of the hub to the wheel arch.

I am not sure if there is a spacer on the hub as well. In the picture attached there is a seam followed by a 15mm section. As I haven't been able to find any pictures on the net, I'm not sure if this is just the stock hub or not. I figured I'd ask.
The fitment you describe is very aggressive compared to stock, and I'm not surprised that you have rubbing issues even after doing the fender screw mod. I'm not sure how you got the impression that it would work without rubbing. For reference, I had very slight rubbing on the fender screw with 19x8.5 ET47 wheels (2 mm less aggressive than your setup) with the same size tires and the OEM Euro R springs (much less of a drop than the VWR springs). I did the fender screw mod, and no more rubbing.

That tab is what holds up the fender liner after you remove the screw (you tuck the liner in up above that tab), so even if you cut the tab off, you'll still rub. It'll just hit the liner instead. Plus, if you cut the tab off, unless you do it right, it'll leave a very sharp edge, which will really jack your tire if it rubs. On top of that, if you ever want to return it to stock, you'll have to replace that whole fender. Long story short, you might as well just roll your fender. Or more simply, you could go to a narrower tire.
TLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
sup_lado
Touring Car Champion

Drives: RB golf R
i have the same issues although i have KW V3.
sup_lado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rims, rubbing, tires