GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cluster lighting behavior?

tekyguy

Passed Driver's Ed
I have noticed that my instrument cluster back light seems to be acting up but I'm not sure. I checked on the vag com and mfd for any options and I can't find any. You can see in the below pic that it's not lit at all. Does anyone else ever see the gauges with no backlight? I'm not sure if there is a light sensor somewhere on the car that controls it or what but I honestly can't figure out what makes it light up.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
light sensors, possibly two - one in the cluster, one on the radio.

schwabo

Ready to race!
there is a light sensor, when the sensor determines that there isn't enough light outside, it dims the cluster lights so you need to turn on your lights to see them. Every R has this and so you don't look like a tard at night with your lights off, the cluster lets you know when you should turn them on ... i hope this explains it for ya

PS: And yes sometimes it happens during the day as well .. most times it's when it's very close to nighttime.

tekyguy

Passed Driver's Ed
Ahhh that explains it!!! Now it makes sense. I'm like why are they going totally out in my garage and at dawn?!?!?!? Then I pull out and they brighten up. Thank you for explaining that!! I'm glad nothing is broken. I really didn't want to start getting into the dash.

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
The sensor is actually located in the left dial. If you shine a light over there you should see the dials light up as well.

tekyguy

Passed Driver's Ed
Why not just add the auto headlight feature to the car if your going to have sensors anyway. Lol.

TDI110

O_o
Why not just add the auto headlight feature to the car if your going to have sensors anyway. Lol.

I have the auto headlight feature on my R, and sometimes they dim, then get bright, then dim again... but recently they've stopped doing that; and started acting more 'normally'.