GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

chipped my golf with unitronic today

jaja123

Ready to race!
its the dyno mostly but I would not be surprised if those tunes made a little more. Dyno dynamics are conservative dynos especially the torque readings. There are 2 runs on that UM software graph. One is stock and the other flashed(does not look to be 168whp though) I think they had corrected and uncorrected numbers floating around. The stock run on that UM dyno made more torque than when I had a cai and exhaust. So dynos vary widely.

its the dyno mostly but I would not be surprised if those tunes made a little more. Dyno dynamics are conservative dynos especially the torque readings. There are 2 runs on that UM software graph. One is stock and the other flashed(does not look to be 168whp though) I think they had corrected and uncorrected numbers floating around. The stock run on that UM dyno made more torque than when I had a cai and exhaust. So dynos vary widely.

yes that UM dyno is stock with catback and Chip with catback.

stock made 153whp with the catback.

uncorrected was 178whp actually and corrected is 168whp.

all the info is here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5527722-UNITED-MOTORSPORT-Release-of-2009-2.5L-Performance-Software&highlight=united+motorsport

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
The funny thing is that the 2.0T guys bag on the 2.5 guys, yet the 2.5 guys have an engine that only makes 2 less HP than the original VR6 did(and 20 more than when the first turbo gti's debuted). My 98 had 172HP. That is still a nice amount of horsepower for a little car like this, it is not as if they are rolling with one of the old 115HP 2.0s

I do remember how hard (read expensive) it was to get any more power out of that engine as it was NA, and it looks to be a similar situation. Thanks to the OP for taking the leap.

Right... but it's 14 years later, and everything is relative.

I had a 2000 GTI GLX VR6 and loved it, but it's 2012 now, and I'm enjoying stage 2 at about 100 HP and 130 TQ more. :D

jaja123

Ready to race!
Now that I look at Unitronics website their claimed gains with stage 2 is 24 HP gain with intake, catback and no cat/ or high flow. 167.5 WHP is around 193 ish crank hp after 15% loss and unitronics posted crank number is 194hp so maybe they are not lying. My crank torque would be 192 which is short of unitronics 200 ft lb however the dyno I went on is conservative on torque. VW could also be underrating their engines which is no surprise. Still I am dissapointed and will maybe end up switching tunes. So in total I have spent about 1700$ for 23 hp gain. cated mid pipe was not cheap. IF I had gone c2 and a rai test pipe I could have saved around 500-600$.

Last edited:

Vroomer

Banned
Well, if you look at the C2's dyno, the difference over Unitronics isn't anything significant, I love what C2 is doing for 2.5 and they deserve support, but I really doubt the difference is woth the hassle of shipping your ecu, etc. I mean if you can do it without spending any more $$$ then go ahead, but otherwise I'd save up for the C2 turbo kit, at VWortex the guy from C2 said it's only a month or so away from being released for MKVI's! That's what I am waiting on as I have 2010 as well, and thanks for uni dynos!

jaja123

Ready to race!
Well, if you look at the C2's dyno, the difference over Unitronics isn't anything significant, I love what C2 is doing for 2.5 and they deserve support, but I really doubt the difference is woth the hassle of shipping your ecu, etc. I mean if you can do it without spending any more $$$ then go ahead, but otherwise I'd save up for the C2 turbo kit, at VWortex the guy from C2 said it's only a month or so away from being released for MKVI's! That's what I am waiting on as I have 2010 as well, and thanks for uni dynos!

thats pretty sweet. I do plan on turboing later down the line(not for awhile). If I return the unitronic id probably get 600$ back so id still possibly be cheaper to send the ecu than having unitronic. But you are probably right the other tunes do not make a lot more and I may end up being dissapointed again. Turbo really is the only way to feel a good amount of extra ommph.

twodotfive

Ready to race!
That's such a little gain for 93 oct. It's probably that the mk6 2.5 engine is already near the limit, which is why the tuners aren't able to squeeze much more power out of the stock components.

I know the 2007 mk5 rabbit made a solid 10-15whp on a giac tune w/intake on 91...but that was on the 150hp engine.

CSGtim

$170 for labor isn't terrible depending where you got it done. I was more than happy to shell out $200 for labor on my APR tune to have it done at my local mod friendly VW dealership. The fact that I bought the car there, bought the tune there, paid them to install my downpipe (which I could have easily done myself) and continue to get all my maintenance /warranty work done there really helps me to get my warranty issues dealt with (without questions).

It's nice to be on a first name basis with the Service Manager, Service Writer, and VW certified tech that do all the work on your car.

Wait.. there are legit VW dealerships that do APR tunes? Consider me curious.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
My MKV R32 with evoMS intake, miltek exhaust and stage 1 tune made the car much more powerfull. I'm shocked you only got a 4hp gain. Perhaps you should consider trading your car in for a used base gti. This is my first turbo and I will never go back to NA engines. I'm not even tuned and the car is a beast (at least feels like one).

phil

becausephilchow
People are looking too much at the "4" WHP Gain.

Look at the curve. This is a N/A Motor, not necessarily high revving. That being said, he picked up a solid gain under the curve, which is really where you feel it.

Dyno Dynamics are also a conservative dyno. Conditions were likely not identical, and I'm not too familliar with DDs, but are there inputs that you can put in to "Adjust"?

I know with Dynapacks you have to put information in, and it has to be accurate. I wouldn't be so fixated on the #s, how does it feel on the Butt Dyno to you?

jaja123

Ready to race!
People are looking too much at the "4" WHP Gain.

Look at the curve. This is a N/A Motor, not necessarily high revving. That being said, he picked up a solid gain under the curve, which is really where you feel it.

Dyno Dynamics are also a conservative dyno. Conditions were likely not identical, and I'm not too familliar with DDs, but are there inputs that you can put in to "Adjust"?

I know with Dynapacks you have to put information in, and it has to be accurate. I wouldn't be so fixated on the #s, how does it feel on the Butt Dyno to you?

There definitely are inputs to put into but im not sure what he did. IT feels a little stronger mostly past 4k. But yea the curve is more important than max power. Still I was a little dissapointed.