GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 09-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
James9449
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI, DSG, United Gray
GTI Roof Rack issue - Opinion

I have several Thule base racks and accessories for vehicles I’ve owned during the past 20 years. I’ve had no problems with any configuration. I’ve mounted bicycles, boats, luggage and work equipment, including ladders, pole saws, etc. But I decided to go with a new set up, use some of the accessories I have and then sell most of the other pieces on Craig’s list.

The Thule system I bought for my ’11 GTI came from Sun & Ski Sports (www.sunandski.com) during one of their three annual 20% sales promotions. Actually, every vendor who sells Thule has the option of discounting 20%, so it’s a matter of finding a dealer willing to give you that pricing. Anyway, I had shopped around, and these folks had the discount -- and as it turned out, they have great service to boot. They will price-match, as well.

So for a late model GTI, here’s what someone might consider budgeting for a new Thule base system on a late model GTI:

Thule Product Description Price ( 20% off)
--------------------------------------------------------------
480 Traverse Foot Pack ( 4 ) $ 140
1323 Fit Kit for 480 ( 4 ) 56
LB50 Square Load Bars ( 2 – 50” ) 64
544-4 Lock cylinders ( 4 ) 45
Thule Fairing ( 1 – 44” ) 68
Shipping 5
------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL $ 363

As for other manufacturers’ systems, I seriously considered the Rhino Rack ( from Australia ), the OEM Rack ( a Thule, from Sveeden ), the Yakima (from Washington state in the US) and the WhisBar. Thule was not the least expensive nor the most costly, maybe not the best looking. But my own experience with Thule and component re-use were major factors in my decision.

As to the noise issue? Sure, roof racks DO increase the noise inside the cabin, just how much depending on rack design and what’s being carried. And regarding the loss of mileage efficiency? Sure, a rack WILL decrease mileage to varying degrees, whether naked or fitted with options and loads. SO WHAT? Just mount the rack, carry what you need to transport, then take the rack off. No big deal, as far as I’m concerned. You want to advertise for the manufacturer of your rack or just show off that you have stuff and can carry it, go ahead and sport the rack everywhere you go.

But obsessing about decibel level or aerodynamic drag is just silly, IMHO. It seems to show a tendency to turn a reasonable consumer evaluation and product choice into a lengthy scientific study. Not really useful, in my book.
2011 UG GTI 2-door; DSG; Autobahn; Bi-Xenons; Lamin-X front end; Geo-Shield tint (50%); Borla cat-back; full APR Carbonio intake; APR Stage 1 ECU; LED interior lighting; Neuspeed 25mm RSB; BSH motor / transmission / pendulum mounts; BSH catch can with 42dd drain kit; P3 vent-mount digital boost gauge; EuroSwitch; LED city lights; R1 Concepts Premium slotted / drilled rotors; PosiQuiet ceramic pads; VW DG linear springs; misc. cosmetic stuff.
James9449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
tardman91
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 Golf
So what's your issue?
tardman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
johnny_p
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI
pictures??

I actually do still drive a MK6
johnny_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Jason3d
Formula 3000 Driver

I'm not really sure what your issue is either.

And on your last point, some designs are quieter than others. Some are more sturdy than others. I've had many set ups too, and found these both to be important factors depending on how the rack is being used.

Good luck with whatever your issue is.
Jason3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
Rockchops
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: a real hard game.
Is this a cleverly disguised ad?
2004 Exploder
Rockchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Jason3d
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockchops View Post
Is this a cleverly disguised ad?
Could be. Otherwise his post is "not really useful in my book".
Jason3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
James9449
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI, DSG, United Gray
No, not an ad or boost for the Sveedish rack folks. Just thought I'd put it out there for those who needed at least one rack configuration and pricing. The rest is just my opinion regarding some of the earlier posts I'd seen on the Forum when I first joined. Didn't mean to waste everybody's time with this post. And although I've always known I have serious issues, it seems that this ain't one of them, by the replies in this thread. My bad . . .
2011 UG GTI 2-door; DSG; Autobahn; Bi-Xenons; Lamin-X front end; Geo-Shield tint (50%); Borla cat-back; full APR Carbonio intake; APR Stage 1 ECU; LED interior lighting; Neuspeed 25mm RSB; BSH motor / transmission / pendulum mounts; BSH catch can with 42dd drain kit; P3 vent-mount digital boost gauge; EuroSwitch; LED city lights; R1 Concepts Premium slotted / drilled rotors; PosiQuiet ceramic pads; VW DG linear springs; misc. cosmetic stuff.
James9449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
johnny_p
Formula 3000 Driver

OP, do you have a sunroof? My dad has a rack on his Subaru Legacy, and it basically rendered the sunroof useless. Anything over 30 and the noise and chopping is unbearable.

I actually do still drive a MK6
johnny_p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof rack