GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 03-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #57
Kopasz
Oval Champion

Drives: '87 Vanagon,13 Passat TDI,'13 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
Well I was gonna ask, are the aeroblades heinously loud?

I recently got myself a bike (finally) and it's kind of a fucking pain to fold all the seats down and shove the bike in so I've been debating as to which rack to get. I've been leaning heavily towards the Whispbars but $$
Whispbars are quieter than aeroblades. Still haven't gotten around to it, but I'll be trading in the aeroblades for Whispbars. Or maybe not, the passat is a diesel so it's a loud car anyway. Not sure if the noise from the bars makes a difference. That, and the passat is my wife's car......
Kopasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #58
dmarsh15
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Prius Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti330ex View Post
Can someone with experience tell me how hard is to put a mountain bike up on the roof with the front wheel off, and can one run into risk of damaging the body of the car due to human error?

Do you first fit the rear tire on, then move forward while still holding the bike in order to get the front tightened up (wheel off), and then finish up the job with securing the rear tire?

I have been shoving two mountain bikes in the hatch for 2 years now and wanted to make my life a tad easier this upcoming season. Thanks!
Hitch rack and you will never damage your car or bike.....The rack folds down so you can still open the hatch with the bikes on the back.
Unitronic CAI / GFB DV+ / Eibach RSB / JPM Shift Boot / Color Matched Markers / R8 Coils /
dmarsh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #59
Kopasz
Oval Champion

Drives: '87 Vanagon,13 Passat TDI,'13 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarsh15 View Post
Hitch rack is the way to go:

Getting rear ended would really suck. That's a nice bike. I originally wanted a hitch mounted rack for my Vanagon and 4Runner but lifting the gate/hatch would always be a pain in the ass. They have the swing away racks but those are cumbersome too.
Kopasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #60
abalinka
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: E46 M3, MX5, TSX Wagon
Quote:
Can someone with experience tell me how hard is to put a mountain bike up on the roof with the front wheel off, and can one run into risk of damaging the body of the car due to human error?

Do you first fit the rear tire on, then move forward while still holding the bike in order to get the front tightened up (wheel off), and then finish up the job with securing the rear tire?

I have been shoving two mountain bikes in the hatch for 2 years now and wanted to make my life a tad easier this upcoming season. Thanks!
Not difficult at all. I'm sure it is possible to damage the car if the fork slips out of your hands or something, but not likely unless you just aren't paying attention.

And yes, your plan of action for putting the bike on the roof rack is correct.
abalinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #61
dmarsh15
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Prius Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopasz View Post
Getting rear ended would really suck. That's a nice bike. I originally wanted a hitch mounted rack for my Vanagon and 4Runner but lifting the gate/hatch would always be a pain in the ass. They have the swing away racks but those are cumbersome too.
Its not a pain in the ass because the whole rack folds down with enough clearance to open the hatch, even with the bikes on the rack. Also when the rack is not in use, it can be folded all the way up. Ill take some pictures.

Funny thing is that my buddy actually rear ended me while on a bike trip to whiteface. I had a Thule hitch rack on my Acura RSX, there was no damage to the car or the bikes, it was a low speed accident though.
Unitronic CAI / GFB DV+ / Eibach RSB / JPM Shift Boot / Color Matched Markers / R8 Coils /
dmarsh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #62
gti330ex
FIA GT Champion

Drives: A golf
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarsh15 View Post
Hitch rack and you will never damage your car or bike.....The rack folds down so you can still open the hatch with the bikes on the back.
True, i do like this option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalinka View Post
Not difficult at all. I'm sure it is possible to damage the car if the fork slips out of your hands or something, but not likely unless you just aren't paying attention.

And yes, your plan of action for putting the bike on the roof rack is correct.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:51 AM   #63
akrazyassho
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2004 1.8T, 2011 2.0T DSG
Quote:

It is really simple and easy give that the fork doesn't somehow slip out of your hand. I have the rockymounts bike racks and do the following: Place the rear tire on top of the car or on the rack itself (its a rubber tire so no damage), guild the fork to the attachment point on the bars, make sure rear tire is on the bar, clamp down the front, strap down the rear tire, Done! Process literately takes less than a minute including removing the front wheel (if you have a quick release system), I ride w/ a friend and she is about 5"4, has no problem putting the bike on herself. I am lowered but when I was stock height, she struggled a tiny bit but had no issues.

Throw front wheel in hatch. Really simple.
akrazyassho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #64
MK6T-RED
Touring Car Champion

Drives: Your Mom Hard, and a Caged GTI
Ive have both the Thule and the OEM and Ive gotta say Im digging the OEM more. A lot less water run off, and the foot set up is better. The Thule collects a substantial amount of dirt and grime under the foot pads which can scratch the roof pretty bad.

(If you guys were wondering, I provided neutral support for the USPCC. It was quite entertaining with a caged car (both of my cars are caged) but let me tell ya. Without a backseat that trunk holds a shit ton of wheels!)

Thule

OEM

Last edited by MK6T-RED; 03-25-2014 at 12:16 PM.
MK6T-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #65
gti330ex
FIA GT Champion

^Nice pics. The GTI looks swag, found that picture when i was looking for OEM/bike set-ups. Good to know that OEM foot is safer/better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrazyassho View Post
It is really simple and easy give that the fork doesn't somehow slip out of your hand. I have the rockymounts bike racks and do the following: Place the rear tire on top of the car or on the rack itself (its a rubber tire so no damage), guild the fork to the attachment point on the bars, make sure rear tire is on the bar, clamp down the front, strap down the rear tire, Done! Process literately takes less than a minute including removing the front wheel (if you have a quick release system), I ride w/ a friend and she is about 5"4, has no problem putting the bike on herself. I am lowered but when I was stock height, she struggled a tiny bit but had no issues.

Throw front wheel in hatch. Really simple.
Cool, thanks for the write-up. I was sick of taking off the front tire/rim when placing both bikes in the hatch, so having to still take them off is questionable, but i suppose for the sake of not having to fold down the rear seats...this option 'might' be worthwhile.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #66
MK6T-RED
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
^Nice pics. The GTI looks swag, found that picture when i was looking for OEM/bike set-ups. Good to know that OEM foot is safer/better.
Yea Ive been very impressed with the OEM setup. I use the RockyMounts Euro Pitchfork which slides perfectly into the rails and the Noose which attaches around the bars. The Thule was great but I was pretty disappointed with the dirt collection under the footpads. Im sure youve read or heard but some put down clear bra on on the roof and that helps. I havent had much windnoise and also have the thule fairing which I use on and off.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #67
marsh1665
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
do most Thule attachments---i.e. bike racks, ski racks, etc work with the OEM bars?

SOLD 4/15---2012 CSG 4 door manual sunroof-nav / APR Stage 2, etc.
marsh1665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #68
gti330ex
FIA GT Champion

Ok. Yea, the clear bra would definitely be utilized.

This set up is what i'm considering...

Old 03-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #69
gti330ex
FIA GT Champion

lol - good question. I still don't have the visual of how these things all connect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh1665 View Post
do most Thule attachments---i.e. bike racks, ski racks, etc work with the OEM bars?
Old 03-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #70
MK6T-RED
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh1665 View Post
Most of them should. The groove within the rail system on the cross bars are essentially identical.

Quote:
Ok. Yea, the clear bra would definitely be utilized.

This set up is what i'm considering...

Good looking set up there!

Tags
fairing, roof rack, thule, votex, yakima