GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Topside Oil Change

MikeW

Ready to race!
I have a Mk6 GTI on order. I noticed that what looks like the oil filter is easily accessable from under the hood. Would there be any reason not to get a oil vacuum, and do top side oil changes (as opposed to bottom draining)?

cbope

I have a Mk6 TSI, and the oil filter is easily accessible topside.

However, I have a problem with using a vacuum to draw out the old oil because you will not be able to remove all the old oil this way. There will always be a little oil left in the sump that the pump just can't get out.

It's a question of convenience vs. thoroughness of the oil change.

zee

Go Kart Champion
Mercedes has been using topside oil filters for a few years and most of their new engine are designed for its use with the drain plug added as an after touch. Merc dealers even use top side.

Also, note that drain plugs in engines do not always drain at the very bottom of the oil pan, there is usually a lip at the bottom of the oil pan where grease and oil can sit. On the other hand, top side is usually drained out though the dip stick with the drain hose feeding to the bottom. Dip sticks go to the very bottom of the oil pan and the top side is strong enough to suck up grease and junk.

From what i have read, topside removes all the old oil in engines and transmissions. any leftover(if any) wont be an issue for the oil filter just like in an oil change using a drain plug.