GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why does the 2.5L get no respect from reviewers?

biped

Ready to race!
it is funny, most reviews i read on golf7s praise the turbo. but it would appear the gas mileage is no different than later 2.5s with the longer ratios and final drive. in fact, i think my 2.5 tends to get better mileage than the reviews i have read on the turbo. plus vw turbos tend to like to have things fuck off for no reason, whereas the 2.5 is reliable as the tides if you keep it lubed up and flush the coolant in regular intervals.

reviews always called the 2.5 "ancient" and "gruff". why? lol

this engine is so unlike other engines and exudes character any four banger can't touch.

i am an autobody tech here in canada. i am in and out of many, many vehicles. i test drive cars after the fact for alignment issues, coolant leaks etc etc. ever started a ford focus four banger? fuckin thing vibrates like the mounts are destroyed. hyundais... don't get me started. hondas are now crap and just about everything in this segment isn't even worth a look at aside from a new mazda. and even then, the way the canadian north eats mazda sheetmetal for breakfast (i see it everyday), i would be hard pressed to recommend it. mind you, the mk5s are rusty pieces of shit. i can only pray my mk6 doesn't suffer the same fate.

basically, engine-wise, the 2.5 continues to impress me. i see a lot of high mileage 2.5s that sound fine and still drive refined. and i am sure those owners are not near as anal as half of us. the sound is leagues ahead of a four cylinder even stock, the torque is magnificent for the weight of the car and the extra cylinder gives it a little more panache than other cars. not quite a guzzling v6, but not a sewing machine either. i can crawl around like a grandma at 1200 rpm and not care. love it.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
I rather like my 2011 golf 2.5L, Decent MPGs 33+ on the highway. I also like the sound of the engine, not gruff IMO.
But at some point will be selling for a MK7, but not until I find out what VW will be offering in 2016. Probably will be selling it rather than doing a trade in as dealers tend to low ball. The car has only been driven 10K and is all stock.