GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boost Gauges

Frosty631

Ready to race!
So im looking for boost gauges and its hard to envision if i want either a offset steering column one or a vent one and so on. for anyone else who has this problem is it possible for those of you who do to post pictures up of yours so we can get an idea of the look of it. I would rather the offset steering column but im not sure if its gonna be to big and just look weird

A_Bowers

I didn't want my vents to be blocked up. I went with the column mount and couldn't be happier.

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
I didn't want my vents to be blocked up. I went with the column mount and couldn't be happier.

That looks good, ive been avoiding those bc they can block some of the instrument gauge. Do you feel like anything is being blocked? or is your normal viewing angle just fine. What setup did you go with? It looks like you used an OEM style gauge in there.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Funny, I JUST received my NewSouth Performance boost gauge a few minutes ago! I went with the column mount. First off, I figured it will be easier to glance down at when needed rather than glance to the side where the vent-mount is. However, that may just be personal preference as the column is the same spot I had mine mounted in my Subaru before I bought the GTI.

As for blocking, I test fitted and it looks like it will block most of the temperature gauge from my field of view, and as seen above, the tach from 7-8k rpm. All around, it doesn't look like it's going to block as much as that picture above.

Two other impressions: it's big! I was surprised, this is bigger than the boost gauge I had on my Subaru. Not a bad thing necessarily, but a surprise.

Second, it LOOKS GREAT in the interior of the GTI! This looks so much better than the aftermarket I had on the other car. Really, really looks nice in the GTI. The texture and color of the column pod aren't exactly the same as stock, but it goes all the way back to where the column sweeps up into the cluster, so unless someone is really paying attention it pretty much looks stock.

I can't speak for any of the other brands of boost gauge. But first impressions of the NewSouth are good. Now I just need to get it hooked up.

P.S. It's too bad NewSouth doesn't make a brushed aluminum ring as an option to go around the gauge; that would match up nicely with the interior of the MK6.

Last edited:

A_Bowers

That looks good, ive been avoiding those bc they can block some of the instrument gauge. Do you feel like anything is being blocked? or is your normal viewing angle just fine. What setup did you go with? It looks like you used an OEM style gauge in there.

It blocks the full 190 degree mark on the temp gauge but nothing a small lean to the right doesn't cure.

I've been super pleased with it. And yeah I did go with the OEM one. Not the redline edition. Didn't think.it looked classy enough.

This one is perfect. To hold the cover on I used the 3M command strips cut to length on all 4 corners. It will not budge unless I am removing it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Frosty631

Ready to race!

that was my biggest thing about the column mounted one my buddy has it on his mk4 center and looks awesome blocks nothing at all but i wasnt sure if it was going to block anything or not and from the pictures it doesnt seem bad only like 7500 and up are blocked and some of the temp gauge... thanks for the posts so far guys!

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
There's pros and cons to both spots. Just pick what looks better to you and go with it. I chose vent.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I got the CiM vent boos gague because I didn't want it to block anything. Also, the vent still works, you're just not able to move up left/right up/down, only on/off.

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
It blocks the full 190 degree mark on the temp gauge but nothing a small lean to the right doesn't cure.

I've been super pleased with it. And yeah I did go with the OEM one. Not the redline edition. Didn't think.it looked classy enough.

This one is perfect. To hold the cover on I used the 3M command strips cut to length on all 4 corners. It will not budge unless I am removing it.

Thx for the info, where did you get your setup? like gauge and pod?

A_Bowers

Thx for the info, where did you get your setup? like gauge and pod?

New south performance directly. I think it was 174.00 for it shipped.

CodexVelerian

Ready to race!
I also have the column mounted gauge and couldnt be happier with it! ( Although my back light on it is blue from my previous mkv GTI)

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I have a Podi offset steering wheel pod gauge and the color is spot on and I barely even notice it is there. Blocks 7-8k RPMs so no loss there although the electric motor is audible when the radio is off. Ohh well, I love it anyways as it looks stock and others think it is when they are in my car. Even the wife thinks it looks stock, and that is saying a LOT!

Adamse7en

Ready to race!
When I eventually get a boost gauge, I am going to get the vent mounted one because I personally like the way that looks more.

How difficult is it to install a boost gauge?