GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY on Brake Pad replacement on Mk6 GTI

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
So I didn't bother with the carrier bolts, which ended up being a good thing because the torque wrench I have that could go to that range stopped working. It was from Harbor Freight so I'm just happy it gave me so many years of good service.

Lessons learned:

The pad wear sensor clip is very brittle, and mine broke. Not that I care all that much because it's only on the driver's side and it was my passenger side pads that needed to be replaced. Had I depended on that sensor I'd have run out of pad on the other side of the car. I'll be cutting that and disabling it soon.

Watch the orientation of the anti-rattle clips. I sat there for five minutes trying to put it on backwards, even after I had gone to the other side of the car and looked.

For the rear pads, I didn't have a narrow enough wrench to fit on the "inside" to keep the pin from spinning (so annoying). So I used what I had, a pair of locking pliers. They worked, and if you're careful with not applying too much pressure it's easy to do without damaging anything.

New pads, fresh fluid.... brakes feel nice.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
AutoZone charges the $60 up front, but you get a full refund when you return the tool. I think other auto stores are the same.

Regarding the stubborn caliper frame bolts..... anybody tried a breaker bar they didn't care about with a really long cheater bar? For bolts that I can't remove with just the breaker bar I have a lever from an old jack that I keep around to use for extra leverage.

I know that's not the elegant, professional way of doing it. But for me it's always been super effective.

Yes, I needed this to free the carrier bolts on both front and rear. I have an old mountain bike handlebar that fits perfectly over my breaker bar so I use that. SOOO much easier on the fronts, being able to turn the steering wheel to get the hub where I want it.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I gave up on the rears. Nothing I did or my buddy did could break them loose. Ended up taking to Midas and even with a torch those Sob's took time to loosen up

nik

Go Kart Champion
The rears are the devil. Even bleeding them is a total pain. Looks like an internet troll designed the rear brakes on this car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk