GOLFMKV

1st gear lag almost caused an accident?

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Launch Control at every stoplight.

Or just learn how to drive.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
how will you get to boost range without pressing the gas? you probably meant letting off the clutch?

You misunderstood. He didn't say "get to boost range" he said "when in boost range". Stepping on the throttle at 1000RPM in gear the car might feel sluggish, no turbo there. If you are at 2500RPM and mash the accelerator the turbo (especially on a tuned car) will push you back in your seat.

I have been complaining about this since I got my GTI in early May. I kept spinning tires in first gear during my test drive and I wasn't sure why.

You keep using that word....I do not think it means what you think it does.

How does "throttle lag" translate to "wheels spinning" :D It's not throtlle lag if you're smoking the tires with no traction..... ;)

Try having it with K04 and all of the power just kicks in all of the sudden. I've had to learn, much like plac mentioned, to roll into the acceleration.

Obligatory Grambles K04...... :thumbup:

This car idles at maybe 700 rpm, but it's not making boost at 700 rpm. If you want to take advantage of small holes in traffic, you have to get the revs up to around 1700 first. If you are moving, you pick the gear that will put you at over 1700 rpm at the speed you're traveling and the throttle response is fine. Or if you're stopped you put it in first, get the revs up and slip it.

I guess this, cause, I have NO idea what ANY of you are talking about. There is no "dead spot" in my throttle but this is how I use my manual. If you want to GO you kinda need revs to do that.

It must be traction control if you guys are leaving that one. I remember having issues with the TC especially after I got Stage 1 where the car would bog down sometimes when leaving a stoplight, especially when turning. It was obviously the TC slowing my roll lol, I would never have called it a dead spot though. There is that slight delay that is inherent in all fly by wire accelerators, very different from a car with a mechanical connection with a tight throttle cable but nothing that has ever caused me to almost get hit.

First thing I do is turn off my TC when I start the car.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Ok, that sounds strange. There's no lag time @ 3K in any gear when I drive my GTI. Does the power eventually kick in?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Eventually, but by that time my foot is to the floor out of impatience and suddenly it takes off after the pause, often with screeching tire while making me look like an ass. Same thing happened today, though not as bad. Certainly still there though. It feels like there is no boost or something though I know that isnt possible... Right? The turbo noise has become quite loud in the last 500 or so miles. Could that be related?

Low-Cod-9662

Passed Driver's Ed
I have been complaining about this since I got my GTI in early May. I kept spinning tires in first gear during my test drive and I wasn't sure why. I later figured out it was due to the throttle lag. I've since been able to mitigate it by driving in manual mode (DSG tranny) and lightly applying throttle about a second before I need to actually accelerate, but the lag is still highly annoying.

I'll probably end up wrecking my wife's Honda Fit at some point. The throttle response in that car is instantaneous, and it takes some getting used to after driving the GTI every day.

I drive my gf's fit a lot... that thing is responsive AND sensitive. For such a slow car overall when you tap the accelerator, it lurches forward. Scary. Coming from driving larger cars like the Mercedes M-Class, you really have to put your foot down for a heavyass car to move. The GTI sits somewhere in between but I have no idea why the recent Japanese cars have hypersensitive gas pedals (Fit, Camry, etc.).

wh85

Passed Driver's Ed
It's all to do with the size of the engine and how far back you put the clutch if it's a manual... If you got higher then 1.4(though really its 1.5) with or without turbo or 1.4,with turbo then you wouldn't notice it. I've noticed it on my 1.4 Golf I was ok wheres my power??? N other times I'm like gone... I now just before I start to go no matter if I'm on my hand brake or just the foot brake I get it on the biting point and since then the lag is in the rear view mirriors.

pgreene1

Ready to race!
You keep using that word....I do not think it means what you think it does.

How does "throttle lag" translate to "wheels spinning" :D It's not throtlle lag if you're smoking the tires with no traction..... ;)

Hah, I guess I should explain a bit more. My previous car was a Honda Fit, which had instant throttle response. While test driving the GTI I would apply a little throttle, get no instant response, then apply a little more... then the throttle would kick in and all of a sudden, wheels are spinning! I've since gotten used to the response of the GTI and now I only spin tires when I want to :).

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
I really hate this issue. As stupid as it sounds, I have ordered the SprintBooster thing to try and see if it fixes it.

It does not happen with launch control, so I think it could either be TC (free fix) or the ECU is not getting the right amount of signal fast enough (sprint booster will hopefully solve this).

Flame away.

Last edited:

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Spinning tires is nothing to do with it all. And the turbo is nothing to do with it too. That all comes after the fact.
My mkv Golf 2.5L auto leaps forward and puts you back in your seat immediately with a little press of the throttle pedal.
On my GTI DSG doing same thing, the car does nothing. Barely responds. Needs more pressure on the throttle for it to move and it gradually starts moving.
Its just different cars with different engines and requiring different driving techniques.
Throttle pedal is not an on off switch.

In a manual it would be easy to eliminate this depending on how skilled you are with combining the throttle and the clutch pedals.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
I really hate this issue. As stupid as it sounds, I have ordered the Speed Booster thing to try and see if it fixes it.

It does not happen with launch control, so I think it could either be TC (free fix) or the ECU is not getting the right amount of signal fast enough (speed booster will hopefully solve this).

Flame away.

Speed booster or Sprint Booster?

A guy put up a great and very favorable review of this in the 'R' section. Seems to help a lot. Don't know about how much in a GTI.

It doesnt happen with launch control because you already have the revs up and the turbo spinning and your foot planted. Its the low end torque at low revs thats the issue.

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
Speed booster or Sprint Booster?

A guy put up a great and very favorable review of this in the 'R' section. Seems to help a lot. Don't know about how much in a GTI.

I edited the post - Sprint Booster of course.

I did read that review, and many others. The general consensus is that people who have it love it, and people who don't have it usually hate on it. So, I will try it out for myself; worst case, I wasted $300... I can live with that.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Today i had my AC full blasting and had to push hard to move in the round about.....my wheels were spinning all over the place followed by a loud ass dsg burp.

Felt like an idiot...true story

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion

Mckidd

Passed Driver's Ed
Spinning tires is nothing to do with it all. And the turbo is nothing to do with it too. That all comes after the fact.
My mkv Golf 2.5L auto leaps forward and puts you back in your seat immediately with a little press of the throttle pedal.
On my GTI DSG doing same thing, the car does nothing. Barely responds. Needs more pressure on the throttle for it to move and it gradually starts moving.
Its just different cars with different engines and requiring different driving techniques.
Throttle pedal is not an on off switch.

In a manual it would be easy to eliminate this depending on how skilled you are with combining the throttle and the clutch pedals.

The manual transmission has this issue as well. You can let the clutch out completely without any throttle input and it will creep along at 5-10mph, but then as you depress the accelerator there is a discernible lag before the car accelerates. This is definitely unrelated to the turbo as my wife's 2.0T TSI Tiguan with the 09G has absolutely no pedal dead space.

Mike

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
The real solution is to learn your car...:)

If Sprint Booster doesn't fix it, that's fine. But no matter what anyone says, there is a very serious issue with this car, which I'd say has safety implications.

For example, when waiting to make a left turn at an intersection, I see an opening. I press the gas and nothing happens. By the time the car starts moving, I now have a greater chance of being T-boned by oncoming traffic because the damn thing wouldn't move when I wanted it to.

This does not happen on other cars I've driven.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
The manual transmission has this issue as well. You can let the clutch out completely without any throttle input and it will creep along at 5-10mph, but then as you depress the accelerator there is a discernible lag before the car accelerates. This is definitely unrelated to the turbo as my wife's 2.0T TSI Tiguan with the 09G has absolutely no pedal dead space.

Mike

Huh?

You don't drive a manual by full releasing the clutch and then pressing the throttle pedal.
You press the throttle pedal slightly bringing the revs up as you release the clutch pedal and you learn the bite point to meet the two perfectly.

If you did this and brought the revs up enough (but not too much) before the clutch is disengaged i dont see how it can be that much of an issue.
A manual car has no dead space because you don't operate the pedals independently of each other. If you are slowing down and want to keep it in second you slip the clutch bring the revs up and accelerate on with at the higher revs.

If letting the clutch out fully when in first gear without any throttle and the car doesnt stall and cut out then the car must have some anti-stall system.