GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about LCA bolts

zee

Go Kart Champion
I somehow managed to strip one of the three bolts holding the ball joint to the LCA(pic below). It got stuck at an angle in one of the LCA holes when I was swapping the front suspenstion(bolts were already removed). I forced it out which stripped a few threads.

It does not seem like I could remove the bolts from the ball joint

Do I need a new ball joint? Does someone have a pn? How much roughly?

Thanks

<Stolen pic>:D

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Keffer had them for the mid-50 buck range last time I checked about a month ago.

If it isn't totally destroyed, you might be able to run a die up it to chase the threads so they are usable again, but in my opinion, 50 bucks is cheap insurance against a drastic result of a ball joint failure.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Yea get a die and run up the threads. They don't look too fucked and if works(it should) it was an easy fix. If it doesn't you are in no worse shape then you are now. It doesn't have any effect on the integrity of the ball joint itself.

zee

Go Kart Champion
Keffer had them for the mid-50 buck range last time I checked about a month ago.

If it isn't totally destroyed, you might be able to run a die up it to chase the threads so they are usable again, but in my opinion, 50 bucks is cheap insurance against a drastic result of a ball joint failure.

Thanks for the info at least I know what to expect. I'll stop by my local dealership, might be closer to C$100 when all the taxes are thown in here.

Yea get a die and run up the threads. They don't look too fucked and if works(it should) it was an easy fix. If it doesn't you are in no worse shape then you are now. It doesn't have any effect on the integrity of the ball joint itself.

The pic is not mine, but mine looks very similar to the bolt on the far left pictured above in my original post. The upper half of the bolt were the nut locks in place is undamaged. I dont have a threading die kit so I'll just bite the bullet and get a new ball joint.

This was posted by the bruce a few months ago. Too bad stock bolts are not replacable.

zee

Go Kart Champion
PN for future reference.
Left(Driver): 1K0407365C
Right(Pass): 1K0407366C

Does anyone know torque spec for the main bolt on top?

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Your local dealer will match Keffers price just show it to them. Those bolts may be splined and pressed on the stock unit. The second picture is the SuperPro ball joints maybe you want to just but them? It would be twice the work and twice the price but should be a nice upgrade if you have other suspension work done to your car.

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info at least I know what to expect. I'll stop by my local dealership, might be closer to C$100 when all the taxes are thown in here.

Your local dealer will match Keffers price just show it to them.

Yeah, I was in a rush and it was US$75 at the dealer because they had it in stock that day and I sent my wife to pick it up and she forgot to ask them to match the price of Keffer.