GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speaker upgrade wroth it ?

hotshot100

Ready to race!
Hi,

I wondering if replacing the stock OEM speaker wroth the money ? (around 250$ for 2 component kit) or I will not ear the difference.

I have the stock RCD 510 in my GTI.

Thanks
Martin

engineered2win

Ready to race!
The limiting factor in the stock system is the amplification. The OE components aren't half bad once you get them some power. I'd install a 4 channel amp running off the RCD510 and code it with VCDS to line level output. I'm running a Blaupunkt tha475 in this configuration and I'm satisfied. I installed some Polk components in the front prior to the amp and the upgraded front speakers were imperceptible until I added the 4 channel amp.

mcgti6

Ready to race!
i think replacing the speakers is always worth it. but, i guess it depends on how high u turn up the volume. for me, i couldn't stand how thin the stock speakers sound when turned up.

i'd say if it doesn't bother u now, then u might as well wait on upgrading. use the $ toward other mods =) BUT, u will def notice a diff when turned up on aftermarket speakers as long as they're a decent brand

McSwine

Ready to race!
Adding a sub to the base system makes a HUGE difference. Best bang for the buck mod you can do.

hotshot100

Ready to race!
Thanks all for the reply.

I finally replace the front speakers with a kicker component kit and Im very happy make a huge difference.

Im gonna do the rear speakers tomorrow with the same component kit.

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
As 'engineered2win' mentioned above, add an amp to the equation and your mind will be blown at the improvement. I started out like you, by upgrading all speakers to full Clarion components which was a nice improvement over stock, but it wasn't until I added an amplifier to properly power them that the system really came alive.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Thanks all for the reply.

I finally replace the front speakers with a kicker component kit and Im very happy make a huge difference.

Im gonna do the rear speakers tomorrow with the same component kit.

If you already bought the component set for the rear, go ahead and replace them. If not, I wouldn't even bother. BTW, unlike the fronts, you DON'T need spacers for the midbass speakers. The space behind it is more than ample.

hotshot100

Ready to race!
If you already bought the component set for the rear, go ahead and replace them. If not, I wouldn't even bother. BTW, unlike the fronts, you DON'T need spacers for the midbass speakers. The space behind it is more than ample.

why the rear does not make a difference like the front ? Thanks for the info on the spacer.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
why the rear does not make a difference like the front ? Thanks for the info on the spacer.

Because you won't hear much of the "rear fill" from those speakers. Just turn on your headunit and sit in the driver/passenger front seats. You will hardly hear the rear speakers.

godsspeed

Passed Driver's Ed
im a bit confused... ive heard that the stock HU limits the mid range..... adding an amp wont change this will it?

i cant stand the 'sound quality' in my jsw