GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got rear-ended at ~5 mph....

steve9842015

Passed Driver's Ed
So after finally finishing a bunch of mods over the last few months, literally the next morning I get rear-ended in bumper-to-bumper traffic by some idiot staring at his phone.

He hit me going maybe 5 mph, but it was enough to crunch the bumper in and crack it.

I haven't had a chance to pop the cover off and look behind it to see if there's any structural damage. The guy does not want to go through insurance and wants to pay me cash, but I'm worried I'll find more damage behind that will need to be replaced and make it far more expensive.

If it's strictly the bumper cover, then sweet. New bumper cover and paint I can get a pretty good deal on. Anyone else have this kind of damage and have any insight as to what else it might've damaged? I'm guessing the impact bar/foam behind it could be permanently deformed and I've seen that's not cheap.

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
So after finally finishing a bunch of mods over the last few months, literally the next morning I get rear-ended in bumper-to-bumper traffic by some idiot staring at his phone.

He hit me going maybe 5 mph, but it was enough to crunch the bumper in and crack it.

I haven't had a chance to pop the cover off and look behind it to see if there's any structural damage. The guy does not want to go through insurance and wants to pay me cash, but I'm worried I'll find more damage behind that will need to be replaced and make it far more expensive.

If it's strictly the bumper cover, then sweet. New bumper cover and paint I can get a pretty good deal on. Anyone else have this kind of damage and have any insight as to what else it might've damaged? I'm guessing the impact bar/foam behind it could be permanently deformed and I've seen that's not cheap.

call your insurance unless you're friends with them...

i don't trust these people.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
go through insurance, if there are more damages then a cover youll be needing more money for body repair leaving the other guy with no obligations to you. be smart use the insurance you pay for.

sauceman101

Ready to race!
even if it's only the bumper, they're still 600-700 a pop plus paint if you go OEM, I've had my United Gray GTI for 3.5 years, the first month I had it someone hit the rear bumper while it was parked in brooklyn, didn't crack anything but the flat lip is "bubbled" (best word to describe it) on the left side and I've just lived with it because of the cost of repair

GTIROCKet

Ready to race!

Do as u please to get it fixed but do remember if you make and insurance claim to fix it no matter how small the damage is, when you are ready to move on from the vehicle there will be an accident recorded on the vin! I sold cars for over 5 years and that's a number one devalue tool is an accident on the vin!

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002

If it was really just about 5 miles per hour then you'll just need the skin and the foam backing; but it will still cost you upwards of $1000...

The guy does not want to go through insurance and wants to pay me cash,

Do NOT do this; you pay for insurance to protect you from people like this; use it :thumbsup:

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
wouldn't using insurance to cover the repairs end up increasing the premiums?

mmmoose

Ready to race!
wouldn't using insurance to cover the repairs end up increasing the premiums?

Yeah unless it's comprehensive coverage (nature or freak accident) or you've got additional coverage for uninsured motorists, you'll probably take a hit on your premium.

F' that. If it were me I'd give the person 2 options: get THEIR insurance company involved, or get the cops involved if they refuse.

Nobody should be driving around without basic liability insurance. Anyone who doesn't pay for it needs to be heavily fined and have their license suspended at the very least. It never ends well when someone offers to pay for repairs out of pocket. Don't take that chance, even if they feed you the biggest sob story.

steve9842015

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah I'm just about fed up dealing with this guy. He won't give me his actual insurance info other than "It's Geico" and it's just been annoying at this point.

He did hit me going super slow; driving a Mercedes sedan and we went from a dead stop, moved at a crawl for maybe 30 feet, and stopped again and he didn't.

Knew it was going to probably happen too. I'd been watching in the rear-view as each time we stopped he was looking down.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I would have had a police report done. Always get a police report done if there is damage viasable no matter how small. This way you always have a documentation/paper trail. Plus if it was that guys fault your insurance should go after him/his insurance not you.

But if you didnt get a report youre already backwards and at that guys mercy.

steve9842015

Passed Driver's Ed
Definitely should've gotten a police report done. I've thankfully never been in an accident before and wasn't sure what to do.

I called Geico on a whim to see if they'd tell me anything off of his name. Turns out he already started a collision claim with them saying he rear-ended someone, so they added me to the claim and setup an appointment/rental car for a body shop tomorrow.

For sure lesson learned though.

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Definitely should've gotten a police report done. I've thankfully never been in an accident before and wasn't sure what to do.

I called Geico on a whim to see if they'd tell me anything off of his name. Turns out he already started a collision claim with them saying he rear-ended someone, so they added me to the claim and setup an appointment/rental car for a body shop tomorrow.

For sure lesson learned though.
Yeah always get a police report unless the dude is like Here is 5k cash and hands you a stack of bills.. Then maybe you let it go ;]