GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 KIA Forte5 SX or 2013 VW GTi Drivers Edition?

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
I will add that your more direct comparison for the the Forte5 1.6T is going to be the Fiat Abarth 500, Fiesta ST, and Mini Cooper S, all of which have similarly sized 1.4-1.8 liter turbocharged engines. All three of those cars range from 15.1 @ 95mph to 15.7 @ 88, but even still they are a step above the Forte, stock vs stock. The biggest discrepancy that I'm seeing between all of these cars are the trap speeds. The Forte doesn't seem too shabby from 0-60, hence it's faster 14.9-15.1 1/4 times, but only finishes at 89mph. That's because it's only a 1.6L, it's going to DIE after 60, just like the Abarth (which is the slowest of the times above) due to their smaller engines.

I would hands down absolutely spring the extra money if you are in it for the performance at any measurable level. The Kia will ultimately disappoint if you value performance in any way.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Reliability overall - KIA

Everything else.. and I mean.. everything - GTI

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
I am coming to dilemma...

Both cars are used.
GTI with 20k miles for $19k (or less), Forte5 with 2k miles for $16k.
First the numbers:
KIA 1.6T, 195 lb.-ft. @ 1,750 - 4,500 rpm, 201 hp @ 6,000 rpm, 6 sp M/T
Base Curb Weight: 2912 lb
GTI 2.0T, 207 lb.-ft. @ 1,800 - 5,000 rpm, 200 hp @ 5,100 - 6,000 rpm,
6 sp M/T
Base Curb Weight: 3113 lb

So basically on paper they are almost same. Similar weight, basically same power...
The difference is equipment, price, and warranty.
I like sunroof in GTI, heated leather seats, HID headlights, XDS, and some other nice features.
KIA, though, still has 4 years of bumper to bumper warranty.
But GTI is GTI...

As for look - well, that's semantics.

The main problem I have now is test drive. There is no Forte5 SX near and local dealer is not willing to bring one.

Hence the question - which one would you pick and has any of you ever DRIVEN both cars to say how you liked it?

Some pics, no need to show GTI I guess...

Did you poll the Kia forum too? We don't want a one sided answer

PLP

kramsdell

Passed Driver's Ed
Why would you presume I chose KIA?

No, I still have not bought the car yet...

I also assumed that is what you were leaning towards, just based on your comments. So when you say "the car", which are you referring to?

PLP

So when you say "the car", which are you referring to?

OK, a car... ESL.

I drove the GTI, I got the numbers (price, insurance, loan, and what not).

Next Tuesday (22nd) I am going to drive Forte5 SX.

As for your assumption of me leaning towards either.
I personally want GTI. GTI is always GTI. No KIA will change it. But... and there is always some but.

Again, on Tuesday I will make my decision and for sure I'll let everyone know.

Thanks for your input.
Both KIA and VW forums were helpful (in alphabetical order). I learnt a lot about GTI here. For instance, I might like DGS more than manual, although I would still miss the possibility to dump clutch if I want to smoke my tires. I see that you have a great support and tuning possibilities, which on the other hand is risky (a way to spend money...) and I know it may be addictive. For sure would be to me.
KIA does not have even a half of this what you guys have here. However, this small beast (1.6 T) got a good deal of attention and a chip tune is readily available. Also, large intercooler, and some other stuff.

Enough, time to go back to wife and watch some movie.

likkleindian

Go Kart Newbie
OK, a car... ESL.

I drove the GTI, I got the numbers (price, insurance, loan, and what not).

Next Tuesday (22nd) I am going to drive Forte5 SX.

As for your assumption of me leaning towards either.
I personally want GTI. GTI is always GTI. No KIA will change it. But... and there is always some but.

Again, on Tuesday I will make my decision and for sure I'll let everyone know.

Thanks for your input.
Both KIA and VW forums were helpful (in alphabetical order). I learnt a lot about GTI here. For instance, I might like DGS more than manual, although I would still miss the possibility to dump clutch if I want to smoke my tires. I see that you have a great support and tuning possibilities, which on the other hand is risky (a way to spend money...) and I know it may be addictive. For sure would be to me.
KIA does not have even a half of this what you guys have here. However, this small beast (1.6 T) got a good deal of attention and a chip tune is readily available. Also, large intercooler, and some other stuff.

Enough, time to go back to wife and watch some movie.

Also easily done with DSG

likkleindian

Go Kart Newbie
how come?
brake torque? would it chirp tires when shifting from 1st to 2nd?

I did not have a chance to hard drive DSG, so I can't tell...

Turn off traction control and floor it. I don't recall if it would chirp the tires when stock. I'm stage 2 and before getting summer tires I would smoke 1st and 2nd. Now it will still spin 1st and hook in 2nd

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I've got to be honest if so the DSG if I had the chance to do it all over. The engine management is built for it. You can tell when you feather the throttle or the clutch to find tune the engagement - it kinda resists and gets confused. DSG is just smooth all the way through. Also it can easily hold whatever power you want to throw at it.

Sincerely, XGC75