GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Valve cover removal/replacing sealant

Brad09

Ready to race!
2011 GTI with about 95k miles, stage 2. Had PCV valve replaced recently and am starting to see oil leakes as a result. My father in law, who has been a GM mechanic for the past 30 yrs does all the work on the car. There is only so much I can reach from my wheelchair. He thinks the oil is coming from the valve cover seal, mostly along the front. He said he could reseal it with the sealant GM uses on their stuff but I wasn't sure if it had to be the VW specific sealant (which I've heard is very expensive).

He's been doing this for as long as I've been alive but GM and VW are very different and I wanted to check here first. Are there any links/info for removing the valve cover so I have a better idea of what is involved, as well as any VW specific tools that are needed? Also, I'm going to get him to check what timing chain tensioner I have and if it's the old one, would it be best to replace it at the same time? Thanks

FriggenT1

Banned
2011 GTI with about 95k miles, stage 2. Had PCV valve replaced recently and am starting to see oil leakes as a result. My father in law, who has been a GM mechanic for the past 30 yrs does all the work on the car. There is only so much I can reach from my wheelchair. He thinks the oil is coming from the valve cover seal, mostly along the front. He said he could reseal it with the sealant GM uses on their stuff but I wasn't sure if it had to be the VW specific sealant (which I've heard is very expensive).

He's been doing this for as long as I've been alive but GM and VW are very different and I wanted to check here first. Are there any links/info for removing the valve cover so I have a better idea of what is involved, as well as any VW specific tools that are needed? Also, I'm going to get him to check what timing chain tensioner I have and if it's the old one, would it be best to replace it at the same time? Thanks

If he's been a gm mech for 30 years, he must feel like hanging himself working on these friggen cars...I know I do.

On the sealant, I'm not sure, I'm sure you probably could use the gm stuff, I don't see why the sealant would be any different.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Not sure about the GM, but the VW sealant is anaerobic. It only seals in the absence of oxygen.

Brad09

Ready to race!
If he's been a gm mech for 30 years, he must feel like hanging himself working on these friggen cars...I know I do.

On the sealant, I'm not sure, I'm sure you probably could use the gm stuff, I don't see why the sealant would be any different.
Haha, he's not a big fan of German engineering.

Not sure about the GM, but the VW sealant is anaerobic. It only seals in the absence of oxygen.
Thanks, I'll try to find out if the GM sealant is the way.

Brad09

Ready to race!
I've been trying to research what is involved in removing the valve cover and can't find anything on the specific steps to do this, just general info. Do I need the VW cam lock tool when pulling the cover? Or will the timing not be affected? Anyone have a link on how to do this, or are there any VW techs on here that have experience with it?

kaczor

I sir am a VW tech. The sealant that you speak of I believe is $100 for a tube. You cannot replace said sealant with anything but the VW sealant. The surfaces are machined flat, and as it was mentioned before, cures in the absence of oxygen. The timing will 100% be affected if you attempt to take off the "valve cover." This cover is what holds the cam shafts in place. Do not take it off. It's not leaking oil from there. Never have I ever taken off said valve cover to fix an oil leak from there. The only reason that ever comes off is to take the head off or to service any part of the valvetrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I sir am a VW tech. The sealant that you speak of I believe is $100 for a tube. You cannot replace said sealant with anything but the VW sealant. The surfaces are machined flat, and as it was mentioned before, cures in the absence of oxygen. The timing will 100% be affected if you attempt to take off the "valve cover." This cover is what holds the cam shafts in place. Do not take it off. It's not leaking oil from there. Never have I ever taken off said valve cover to fix an oil leak from there. The only reason that ever comes off is to take the head off or to service any part of the valvetrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's VERY common for the valve cover/upper cam cap to leak oil. Sometimes it's just boost pushing it out, other times it's really bad like the OP is describing.

To further prove you are seriously lacking knowledge, that cover in no way needs to come off to do a headgasket or take the head off. That's why there are all of those caps in the cover and the cams have reliefs cut in them, so you can reach the head bolts without removing the cover.

Damn, no wonder you guys get a bad rep....

FriggenT1

Banned
It's VERY common for the valve cover/upper cam cap to leak oil. Sometimes it's just boost pushing it out, other times it's really bad like the OP is describing.

To further prove you are seriously lacking knowledge, that cover in no way needs to come off to do a headgasket or take the head off. That's why there are all of those caps in the cover and the cams have reliefs cut in them, so you can reach the head bolts without removing the cover.

Wow, gave him the whole shaft at once.

Brad09

Ready to race!

So, who do I believe here? Now I'm more confused. Can someone clear up what the process is for removing the valve cover/cam girdle?

Uberryan

Banned
So, who do I believe here? Now I'm more confused. Can someone clear up what the process is for removing the valve cover/cam girdle?

Always vw gti2.0t