GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mechanic says I need a new cat

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Also how long have you been driving around like this? you said you had like 7 or 8 codes... did they all pop up at once or have you had a Check engine light for a long time and just now actually looking?

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Agreed with carbon buildup .sounds like it was a mechanic who doesn't know this engine its got some specific quirks

zync

Ready to race!
you can try scanning but if you cleared them you will just need to wait for them to come back.

You said you changed coils...

Did you change spark plugs and coils for all of them? or just one at a time?
I personally would do plugs and coils all together
https://www.urotuning.com/Electrical-Tune-Up-Kit-2-0T-w-Red-R8-Coilpacks-p/20t_tuneup_r8_coils.htm

Carbon cleaning is probably needed as well if you're over 100k and never had it done.. Its expensive some shops charge like $400 but i think the average is closer to $800 but it will clean up the valves and helps most people that have some misfires and bad fuel economy.

If your cat is clogged up and need replacing that could be an issue too.. without the codes we cant really diagnose what could be the issue.

I would do the spark plugs and coils as its like $140 and pretty much anyone can do it with $15 bucks worth of tools from harbor freight and a you-tube video.

Then get the codes and start telling us what they are so we can maybe help further diagnose.

Go to a third shop/mechanic and dont mention anything about the others or what they said and see what he comes up with.. If he comes up with the CAT too without being informed you were already made aware then it most likely is a main culprit... some mechanics will just agree with what the first person says so they dont have to spend a lot of time looking into it. Not all but some do that.

Thank you! Should I wait for codes or go ahead and change the coils/spark plugs? I believe my first mechanic did they one at a time.

zync

Ready to race!
Also how long have you been driving around like this? you said you had like 7 or 8 codes... did they all pop up at once or have you had a Check engine light for a long time and just now actually looking?

I want to say about a good 500 miles? All that came up on my dash was the cat light - with the scanner it was all at once for about 500 miles. Hasn't been the first time my cat light came on on my dash.

zync

Ready to race!
Has anyone read this? https://www.google.com/patents/US6866031?printsec=description&dq=valve+coating+carbon+VW

"An additional approach for reducing the formation of carbon deposits on the intake valves is to increase the intake valve temperature, at least temporarily, since, surprisingly, it was found that any carbon deposits possibly present are removed at temperatures above 380° C. To this end, the intake valve unit, which comprises, among other components, the intake valves and the valve stem guide, is designed with means that hinder heat dissipation in such a way that increased surface temperatures of more than 380° C. develop at least in the area of the neck of the intake valves in at least one predetermined region of the load characteristic diagram of the internal combustion engine. The intake valve temperature is above 380° C. in the shaded region 112 b of the characteristic diagram. At these temperatures, carbon deposits on the intake valves are removed. This region of the characteristic diagram occurs, for example, at speeds over 3,000 rpm, and in that speed range extends essentially to full load. Even if the internal combustion engine is not operated most of the time in the region during normal driving operation of a motor vehicle, nevertheless, carbon deposits that could adversely affect the operation of the internal combustion engine cannot build up, since their removal occurs very quickly. For example, operation of the internal combustion engine in this region for a period of, for example, 20 min., is sufficient to remove even a thick layer of carbon deposits. In other words, a routine expressway trip cleans the intake valves sufficiently."

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Has anyone read this? https://www.google.com/patents/US6866031?printsec=description&dq=valve+coating+carbon+VW

For example, operation of the internal combustion engine in this region for a period of, for example, 20 min., is sufficient to remove even a thick layer of carbon deposits. In other words, a routine expressway trip cleans the intake valves sufficiently."

You're asking us for help, but clearly still not listening to it

Direct injection is completely different and is gumming up the back of the intake valves.
NO "expressway trip" is going to remove that stuff

Again, you have to remove the manifold and have it scraped or blasted off to remove that crud or you're just wasting your time

Example:

zync

Ready to race!
You're asking us for help, but clearly still not listening to it

Direct injection is completely different and is gumming up the back of the intake valves.

NO "expressway trip" is going to remove that stuff

Again, you have to remove the manifold and have it scraped or blasted off to remove that crud or you're just wasting your time

Example:

Thank you for clarifying. Someone suggested this via Reddit and remembered what was said in this thread. Was just curious is all. :)

What I will do (please tell me otherwise if need be): wait for cel to appear and paste the codes in here. Or.. should I do the carbon cleaning anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Thank you for clarifying. Someone suggested this via Reddit and remembered what was said in this thread. Was just curious is all. :)

What I will do (please tell me otherwise if need be): wait for cel to appear and paste the codes in here. Or.. should I do the carbon cleaning anyway?

It wont hurt anything besides your wallet to get the Carbon cleaning. Most people report a smoother idle.. and increase in MPG and some even say they feel like the car is more powerful.

You are up there in the mileage so its probably needed. Not saying carbon cleaning will be the end all of your codes since we cant see them but that is a really big factor to a lot of things.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
I read for carbon cleaning I can go 65-70mph on 4th gear for 20 minutes to clean. Can anyone confirm this?

Doing this regularly can help prevent some carbon buildup, but it's not going to eliminate any carbon buildup that has already formed. Gotta do a blast service.

zync

Ready to race!
A friend of mine said can do walnut blasting for the carbon build up?

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion
Thread is 3 days old, not 1 picture of a cat...leaving disappointed.