GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Resonator Delete

chuymty69

Yup, i think i went too far with the indy car but it does sound much louder between gears. Ive actually been at an indy car race before:)

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I did this a few months ago on my MKV. You have to cut off the muffler that is in the middle of the car, not the muffler with the tips (obviously). I got a stainless pipe from a company and it fit perfect. It sounded a little louder and more "gurgly". There was/is drone on the highway when I gave it gas, along with a little extra vibration. Honestly, it sounded good at idle and that was about it. On the highway, it sounded like an old car that needed a new muffler/exhaust system. I took it off about a month ago and have not missed it at all. I would have much rather saved the money and time spent on this. I would not recommend it at all.

I have the rez delete on my MK6 and their is no drone whatsoever. It sounds good at WOT inside/outside the car. Its an easy $50 mod to get your car sounding better. I don't understand how everyone hates the sound.

Plus the DSG FART sounds fucking sweet with a dp and rez delete.

tdi-newbeetle

My first post as a New GTI owner. I'm a big TDI guy but I'm getting older and I like a smooth and quiet ride. Power is fun as we all know. My question..... What can I really expect from a resonator delete? I would like to hear some performance sound. My 2010 GTI is so quiet. Can't even hear that I have a turbo. A delete for me is not only cheep but fun because I weld as a hobby. What I really don't want, Too Fast Too ferrous Honda sounding crap. Something that sounds deep pipe but without cabin noise. The car is quiet and rides awesome. Don't want to look or sound like I'm trying to be a kid. Sport with a balanced sound. Thank you for any suggestions.

rjohnson5481

Ready to race!
My first post as a New GTI owner. I'm a big TDI guy but I'm getting older and I like a smooth and quiet ride. Power is fun as we all know. My question..... What can I really expect from a resonator delete? I would like to hear some performance sound. My 2010 GTI is so quiet. Can't even hear that I have a turbo. A delete for me is not only cheep but fun because I weld as a hobby. What I really don't want, Too Fast Too ferrous Honda sounding crap. Something that sounds deep pipe but without cabin noise. The car is quiet and rides awesome. Don't want to look or sound like I'm trying to be a kid. Sport with a balanced sound. Thank you for any suggestions.

I'm in the same boat, I've come to the conclusion that a resonator delete and a god speed down pipe will sound good but not ricey. Also price effective, I'm not really concerned with performance would just like better sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
I just did this. I love the way it sounds now. Before all I could hear was engine, but now the sound is balanced under load and practically as quiet as ever when driving sanely.

My driving age son and I both agree that we feel a slight boost in performance (which I know someone will say is all in our minds). It definitely has increased throttle response significantly (which was a huge surprise=bonus)

Drone is negligible at 75 in 6th but does enter in at about 80. Its not too bad (at least to my ears)

I drove my teen aged son and his girl to her house last night (about 30 miles @ 79 mph) and I could easily hear their backseat conversation.

I adore the way it sounds when engine braking now and from out side the car I hear more of the turbo sound.

Best $60 I have spent on the car.

Last edited:

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
I just did this. I love the way it sounds now. Before all I could hear was engine, but now the sound is balanced under load and practically as quiet as ever when driving sanely.

My driving age son and I both agree that we feel a slight boost in performance (which I know someone will say is all in our minds). It definitely has increased throttle response significantly (which was a huge surprise=bonus)

Drone is negligible at 75 in 6th but does enter in at about 80. Its not too bad (at least to my ears)

I drove my teen aged son and his girl to her house last night (about 30 miles @ 79 mph) and I could easily hear their backseat conversation.

I adore the way it sounds when engine braking now and from out side the car I hear more of the turbo sound.

Best $60 I have spent on the car.

A few more thoughts.....I believe that "Drone" is subjective to a point....at least if it is not so overpowering as to severely impinge on driving enjoyment...

An example.....I got my oldest an off-brand "Magnaflow" muffler for his 2000 Eclipse GS and it really sounds great....except at about 3000 rpm.....there it is obnoxious and would drive me crazy if that car were my DD.....

The resonator/mid muffler delete on my GTI is perfect for me....I wanted to be able to hear the exhaust under load and it gave me that.....there are conditions where some people might consider the exhaust to be "droney" but i feel it doesn't cross the line into what I call drone.....however, YMMV.....

Last edited:

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Update after 1000 miles: Over all loudness has increased....again might be "droney" to some but to me the car sounds like it grew a pair of balls now compared to stock....

Is the resonator integral to passing smog, or is it just there to muffle the exhaust sound? Will the car throw a CEL with it deleted? Also, has anyone replaced the stock resonator with eg. a louder sounding magnaflow res?

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Is the resonator integral to passing smog, or is it just there to muffle the exhaust sound? Will the car throw a CEL with it deleted? Also, has anyone replaced the stock resonator with eg. a louder sounding magnaflow res?

No it has no part to do with smog, because its after the CAT. Yes, theres alot of people on here who either delete the resonator, or replace it was another resonator the vibrant bottle style resonator is a popular option and it adds a nice growl just a tad louder than stock I believe.

FlavMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
I️ need to do this to my car. Which I️ find pretry loud already with the stock exhaust. I️ love the way the car just sounds stock I️ have 108k. I️ was thinking about the resonator delete. I️ dont think the car would sound like a Honda cus it’s not a Honda. Lol I’ll prolly do it one of this days.

Laimface

Ready to race!
I️ need to do this to my car. Which I️ find pretry loud already with the stock exhaust. I️ love the way the car just sounds stock I️ have 108k. I️ was thinking about the resonator delete. I️ dont think the car would sound like a Honda cus it’s not a Honda. Lol I’ll prolly do it one of this days.

Resonator delete with downpipe sounds exactly like a straight piped Honda. If you're wanting actual power, leave the resonator in and get a downpipe & Cobb Accessport map with Stratified.

Being such a high mileage, have you changed your timing chain tensioner for the updated model yet??

FlavMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
Resonator delete with downpipe sounds exactly like a straight piped Honda. If you're wanting actual power, leave the resonator in and get a downpipe & Cobb Accessport map with Stratified.

Being such a high mileage, have you changed your timing chain tensioner for the updated model yet??

No I️ haven’t, I️ literally just got the car about 4-5 months ago....2 weeks into it the car was crashed by a LYFT DRIVER that ran a red light, my car was parked’ no one in it or hurt..... pretty much I️ fixed the car my self (spindle, swaybar link, trailing arm, tie rod....etc) got the wheel back to straight and back to driving, than figured out I️ need a new wheel hub’. But nun crazy, now I️ just need body work and a new bumper.

The other nite the car started acting up’ it was something like -100 degrees no joke. Weird noises started coming out of the engine bay. And a few days later I️ got the engine lights P2178-P2187. And than I️ figures out my serpentine belt split in two[emoji848]

....and I️ thought the only worry I️ was going to have was to check(change) the damm timing chain tensioner haha....HAHAHAHAfuxkingggshiieeett!

I️ wish I️ never bought this car. -_____-. But oh well I️ did and now I️ gotta make the best out of it and I️ don’t mind working on it. I’m in New Jersey, have anyone done their timing chain tensioner before? If so I’m a tattoo artist and I️m willing to trade some work also have cash @Zets_dead is my instagram I️ have my work there :)

DarienMidnight

Ready to race!
Oh god ..everywhere I see now is timing chain tensioner ...I'm getting really sick .

As for sound I have an Catted downpipe..and aftermarket catback...sound great but I might want it louder so I might do a resonator delete on the aftermarket catback..hope that isn't a bad idea...how much should it cost no more than 100 bucks right ? ...will it cost more because I already have an aftermarket CBE on? ..