GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat16:Race For 10K Posts - Will Achieve Oct 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
As a city? Yes. As a place to live? No

I wish I could pick up Chicago, leave all the crap politicians behind, and otherwise move it someplace with better weather.

Having grown up here, pretty much every city pales in comparison. The comparison city either flat-out sucks ass (NYC) or it's just too small (every other city but NYC and maybe SF).

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I wish I could pick up Chicago, leave all the crap politicians behind, and otherwise move it someplace with better weather.

Having grown up here, pretty much every city pales in comparison. The comparison city either flat-out sucks ass (NYC) or it's just too small (every other city but NYC and maybe SF).

San Diego, Ever been? :iono:

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Would love to live in SD or any socal beach town for that matter, but yeah way too expensive for me.
This!!

Forsure over this winter!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jaber

Modero
San Diego is the shit. Wouldn’t live there though. Too expensive and too crowded and Cali sucks for modded cars.

Yeah, I would not be able to live in Cali. Where cars and gunz go to die. And your wallet.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
If visiting san diego id recommend staying in pacific beach vs downtown. Some really nice airBNBs there.

flying_solo

Go Kart Champion
Need some advice. I am looking at relocating the office for less taxes and larger building. I can either move to southern Lake County (Lincolnshire, Mundeline, etc) or Dupage county/western Cook like Elk Grove Village, Lombard

Western Cook/Dupage would be more central for getting to job sites/downtown. Lake would be closer to my house. Seems you get a little more for your money in EGV than some of the southern Lake County locations.

We have 1500 sq ft warehouse now and 1000 sq ft office. Looking to bump that to about 5K warehouse and 1500-2000 office. If in Lake County it would be closer to my house allowing me to keep vehicles there and work on vehicles easier (thinking lift) than using my home garage which is packed.

The difference in time isn't huge, we are talking 5-8 minutes to lake county locations and 15-18 minutes to EGV and 30 to Lombard.

Not sure which route to go.

Roy! Buy next door in Elk Grove and let’s be better friends and set up a little shop for wrenching.

flying_solo

Go Kart Champion
I have a question as well. I’m building this garage, I have been thinking a 2 car 26’ wide and 24’ deep. But, on deeper thought, I think going 28x22 which makes it a 3 bay is the better build. Yes, I lose some space in the back, but a 3 car better uses the space and I can still fit my tools/equipment and wrench. Bonus, I have 3 bays vs 2.

Thoughts? Long and skinny vs fat and stubby?

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
Roy! Buy next door in Elk Grove and let’s be better friends and set up a little shop for wrenching.

You mean you want to use my space for wrenching, or you want to rent your own space in my building?

I have a question as well. I’m building this garage, I have been thinking a 2 car 26’ wide and 24’ deep. But, on deeper thought, I think going 28x22 which makes it a 3 bay is the better build. Yes, I lose some space in the back, but a 3 car better uses the space and I can still fit my tools/equipment and wrench. Bonus, I have 3 bays vs 2.

Thoughts? Long and skinny vs fat and stubby?

Tough call. My garage is 25 deep by roughly 20-22 wide. I wish it was wider because I have shit packed on both sides which limits vehicle space. However, the entire back is storage/tools/motorcycle.

I think 28' is too narrow for 3 car unless you don't plan on using the 3rd bay. That gives you 9.3 feet for each car vs 13 feet on the 2 car setup. I am @ 11' for each car and it's tight with some shit on the walls. Taking 2 feet out the back of the garage doesn't sound like much, but that is your entire depth of work bench/tool chest, working area. If you put a 16' car in the garage, usually you are at least 1' back from the garage door. That basically leaves you 3 feet of working room once you line the back wall with shelves/tool chest which is not enough imo.

With the 2 car setup, you can line the walls on either side of the car with storage and still have the whole back of the garage for tools and working room. That would be the route I would go unless you can go wider on the 3 car.

Jaber

Modero
I rather go with the bigger 2 car garage, than the 3 car garage that seems a bit on the small side. Unless you do not plan on parking a car in the 3rd spot.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
28' is narrow for a 3 car. Mine is 30x22 and it's cramped.

I think, if the goal is car STORAGE... cramped is fine. In your case with a 28' garage, that's only 9'4 per car. Even tighter than mine (as mine gives 10' per car) but still space to at least get in/out.

If the goal is WORKSPACE, a 26x24 two-bay is going to be better. 13' wide per car, enough space to have the doors swung open fully and still be able to park another car next to it. Plus the extra space up front for benches, toolboxes, etc.

I can't FULLY open any car doors in my garage without risk of door-dinging one of the other cars (or the walls.) When I'm doing a project that requires fully opening the doors (essentially ANY interior work) I always wind up shuffling one of the cars out of the garage so I can work. And with toolboxes + built-in cabs up on the front wall of the garage, it doesn't leave much walking space between the nose of the car and the box/cab up front. I also have the cars pretty close to the garage door so that I have some walking room up front - which means if I'm working on the REAR of the car I either back it in or do it with the garage door open.

Status
Not open for further replies.