GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No one complaining about gas/diesel prices?

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Maybe this means that VW will bring back the GTD. :thumbsup:

God I hope so.... I would keep the GTI, but my TDI Golf would be gone tomorrow!

DrK

Ready to race!
$87 last fill. $1.68/Litre

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
I work for a very large retailer... in 08 when oil prices peaked all kinds of non sense was happening all our vendors were hitting us with surcharges everywhere, frequently making profits by "hedging" against future prices.

Everything started getting downsized (13oz lays were now 11.5oz) to provide the illusion of no cost increases on the same product.

Anyways, the recent jump is pretty troubling, we're almost at 08 levels here in cali again.

It's basically speculative futures trading that drives up the price at the pump. It doesn't necessarily translate to the rising cost of drilling it out of the ground. Since oil is a commodity, the sellers (exxon, bp, etc) sell their oil for whatever the market price is. Because people speculate that either demand will increase/supply will decrease in the future, prices go up immediately.

tl;dr oil companies make lots of money because what it's being sold for is nowhere near what it costs for them to drill.

It's funny.......in 2008 when oil was at its highest of $140/barrel the relative gas prices for premium in my area were $4.25/gal. Now fast forward to the present, oil has been hovering around $105/barrel ($35 less/barrel) yet the relative price for the same gas is $4.19/gal. WTF? US consumption of oil has been low due to the mild winter and to the point of actually exporting a good percentage. If gas prices are driven by oil futures then we should be seeing much higher oil prices.......but we're not. So I'm a little confused as to why/how the gas prices are continuing to rise without the matching oil prices.....short of gouging.

Uberryan

Banned
blame speculation. If you make that illegal, or better yet, KILL ALL SPECULATORS and make the job less desirable then, you'll see far better pricing. Anytime a dictator farts in the middle east, prices rise, because speculators expect a oil catastrophe, or shortage. They use any reason feasible to create a panic. It's complete bullshit, and a way to cut more coin from the hands of the people.

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
blame speculation. If you make that illegal, or better yet, KILL ALL SPECULATORS and make the job less desirable then, you'll see far better pricing. Anytime a dictator farts in the middle east, prices rise, because speculators expect a oil catastrophe, or shortage. They use any reason feasible to create a panic. It's complete bullshit, and a way to cut more coin from the hands of the people.

That's my point, you can't really point the finger at the speculators as oil futures have been holding somewhat steady.......and yet gas prices continue to rise. So the two are no longer in-line with eachother as they historically been.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion

Is that sarcasm? I hope it is because another word for speculation is "investing." Shall we make investing illegal too? How dare you buy stock in a company now and hope it appreciates in value to sell it later! How dare you buy bonds and hope to redeem them for extra money in the future!

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Why complain? Isn't going to solve the equation.

We need more vehicles with alternate fuel choices.

Or better engineering with existing cars.

For example regular four cylinder cars, like the civic, accent, etc are getting as good mpg as the Prius.

Or Better battery technology.

Or figuring out how to add hybrid systems to existing cars.

Gasoline is still the dominant fuel for vehicles because the amount of energy in a ml of gas is superior to most alternative fuels.