GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Testing with ethanol

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
Hey guys, interesting results from the dyno last night.

Im using UM stage 2 fully loaded
On 91 octane I can safely run at a setting of 88 octane through VCDS.
I pumped about an "e25" mix in and was able to run at 98 octane.

Ran my car back to back with these octane settings on a dynapack.

Just so you get an idea on this dyno a stock 335i made 230whp.

313whp and 368tq. Not bad!

That means a solid 30whp and 30tq across the board just by adding a couple gallons of e85

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
Very solid! I've been tired of inconsistent pump gas so I'm running a e25 blend (roughly 93 octane). Pulls night and day difference. Glad you have data to back it up.

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
When you posted

"I pumped about an "e25" mix in and was able to run at 98 octane."

Did you check for timing pull and if you did what were the results.

If you did not have any timing pull at 98 octane did you try a 100 octane file? Thanks for posting your dynos.

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
When you posted

"I pumped about an "e25" mix in and was able to run at 98 octane."

Did you check for timing pull and if you did what were the results.

If you did not have any timing pull at 98 octane did you try a 100 octane file? Thanks for posting your dynos.

So according to Jeff Atwood from UM anything over 3 degrees pull is not recommended. At 98 octane I saw 1.5 degrees at MOST. Below that it was zeros across the board!:thumbsup:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Yeah I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I still think the dyno reads a bit low but this was more for testing changes with ethanol via VCDS

Its about the gains, nice gains! Thanks for posting your results.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Very cool. I wish Uni, Revo and APR would come out with e85 blended ots maps.

Modern pump gas already has ethanol like mentioned so technically they already have a blend map and you are already using it lolol. Yeah as stated our cars correct for a small amount of ethanol, Id say up to E25 is fine. Can probably go higher but you just gotta log fuel trims when going higher etc.

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
Modern pump gas already has ethanol like mentioned so technically they already have a blend map and you are already using it lolol. Yeah as stated our cars correct for a small amount of ethanol, Id say up to E25 is fine. Can probably go higher but you just gotta log fuel trims when going higher etc.

Speaking of fuel trims, when using vcds, what blocks would I log to see long term and short term fuel trims? And what is a good target number?

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Speaking of fuel trims, when using vcds, what blocks would I log to see long term and short term fuel trims? And what is a good target number?

That's a question for HYDE :) He taught me a lot of what I know on Ethanol blends a long time back. He the the resident E85 blend master now hehe