GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New strange intake? sound like a supercharger

jeez

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

I'm posting these here before I actually work on it so I can hopefully be pointed to the right direction. Listen to the sound in these videos - what do you think it is? It started yesterday and I'm baffled as to what it is.

Hoses? Intake? DV?

Wondering if anyone else has seen this. Sorry if I posted it in the wrong section. You'll notice a high pitched sound becoming more prominent as the RPMs rise. Similar to a mini supercharger, for lack of a better term.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbf0ir0u08gvsof/VIDEO0069.mkv?dl=0

For this second one there's a section when I pass under a bridge so everything is echoing - don't pay attention to that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sk1nkkzs5ob58eg/VIDEO0070.mkv?dl=0

P.S.: I've already checked the intake itself (from the front to the turbo) for any cracks or anything out of the ordinary..but all seems ok. Not sure if I should focus on the DV next or what else.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Definitely make sure you have the updated DV and the DV+ by GFB. If it isn't that. How's your boost? If you loss pressure it could be a loose clamp on the TOP or charge pipe or something but since you've checked intake, I'd say your correct in heading towards that DV. While you're down there check the air charge/TOP for loose clamps or cracks.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Ever hear of audio feedback, or something along those lines? Tiny short in the electrical system tied to the radio/speakers which allows a tiny frequency to make it from the alternator (RPM dependant) to the speakers

Otherwise could possibly be something with your belt?

joeyfrost

Ready to race!
Ever hear of audio feedback, or something along those lines? Tiny short in the electrical system tied to the radio/speakers which allows a tiny frequency to make it from the alternator (RPM dependant) to the speakers

Im seconding this ^ i have a mk6 golf r and deactivated mine with my vagcom connection. If you want to see if it truely is that sound you can use vagcom to perform the audible test and you will here it play through. If it is similar or the same sound youre hearing just deactivate it. I personally preferred to not hear it. Up to you though.

Mk6 Golf R | APR Stage 2+

jeez

Ready to race!
Definitely make sure you have the updated DV and the DV+ by GFB. If it isn't that. How's your boost? If you loss pressure it could be a loose clamp on the TOP or charge pipe or something but since you've checked intake, I'd say your correct in heading towards that DV. While you're down there check the air charge/TOP for loose clamps or cracks.
That's what I have, Rev D & DV+, but I will inspect everything as you said. Thank you.

Im seconding this ^ i have a mk6 golf r and deactivated mine with my vagcom connection. If you want to see if it truely is that sound you can use vagcom to perform the audible test and you will here it play through. If it is similar or the same sound youre hearing just deactivate it. I personally preferred to not hear it. Up to you though.

Mk6 Golf R | APR Stage 2+
I thought as much so I disconnected the Soundaktor today. Same issue though. And it really does sound like a leak vs speaker stuff. It's louder with windows down vs windows up. Thanks for the suggestion!

One thing I forgot to add is that I hear it ONLY when in gear. If I mash the throttle in neutral it doesn't happen. Does that theory still apply? I will look it up and try it in any case. Any downsides to doing so?

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
One thing I forgot to add is that I hear it ONLY when in gear. If I mash the throttle in neutral it doesn't happen. Does that theory still apply? I will look it up and try it in any case. Any downsides to doing so?

You don't get very much boost unless there's a load on the engine, so a boost leak does sound like the right direction. It could be the dv.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Torn diaphragm in the Air Oil Seperator (PCV), pull the round cover off and check for a tear on the rubber diaphragm.