GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's your opinion on Cat-back Exhausts?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I had Agency Power with a catless DP. It was redonkulous loud. Ear piercing loud when you got on it. I mean it sounded awesome when you cruised slow because it just sounded like a straight up diesel, but getting on it was impossible anywhere but the highway and even then, every head turned with the car screaming down. That's also the downside because unless you are like Stg2 minimal, the car is so damn slow, the last thing you want is a loud exhaust screaming and you are trying to keep up with the Honda Civic family edition.

I traded with another kid for his Magnaflow and for me, it made perfect sense because I was tired of the madness of catless with that exhaust. Magnaflow with catless is the perfect mesh in my opinion. Has a very clean sound because the majority of these exhausts sound too ricey for my taste but I came from an SRT4 with an MPx so now you know why I went originally with Agency Power.

C1iffyp

Passed Driver's Ed
So, whats your purpose of getting a catback exhaust? I would recommend installing your downpipe, if the sound doesn't suit you, maybe explore the option of removing your factory resonator? When i paired my catless downpipe with my factory exhaust it gave it a little more rumble, which was perfect for me.

I eventually ended up buying a SPM street exhaust because my factory exhaust was damaged in a car accident. My SPM essentially has 3 mufflers, and it sounds perfect, no drone, just a bit more rumble.
Well, since I've never really considered one for this platform until a short while ago, I originally thought that I would have some sort of power gain from the additional CBE.

I'll likely try out the down pipe with the stock CBE. Until I can get an approximate CBE. I'm definitely into the sounds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

C1iffyp

Passed Driver's Ed
I had Agency Power with a catless DP. It was redonkulous loud. Ear piercing loud when you got on it. I mean it sounded awesome when you cruised slow because it just sounded like a straight up diesel, but getting on it was impossible anywhere but the highway and even then, every head turned with the car screaming down. That's also the downside because unless you are like Stg2 minimal, the car is so damn slow, the last thing you want is a loud exhaust screaming and you are trying to keep up with the Honda Civic family edition.

I traded with another kid for his Magnaflow and for me, it made perfect sense because I was tired of the madness of catless with that exhaust. Magnaflow with catless is the perfect mesh in my opinion. Has a very clean sound because the majority of these exhausts sound too ricey for my taste but I came from an SRT4 with an MPx so now you know why I went originally with Agency Power.
Interesting, I could definitely tell from the videos that AP was loud AF. Lol. I really enjoy that sound but it is close to , if not louder, than my old Subaru.

I'm trying to get away from that many dB's.

I do enjoy the sounds of the Magnaflow.

C1iffyp

Passed Driver's Ed

Noodle1

Ready to race!
I like that sound.

When you say a resonator delete, what do you mean? Exhaust shop, cut and weld in. Or ??

Went to an exhaust shop, they cut out the resonator and welded in pipe, super easy and they did a good job for only $65

ShawnP

Ready to race!
I'm running Awe cat back and I love it. Quiet during normal driving but will scream when you open it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C1iffyp

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm running Awe cat back and I love it. Quiet during normal driving but will scream when you open it up

I think for now, I'm going to keep the stock cat-back, but I'm super glad I put this thread together. I'll likely keep compiling current videos on here to compare sounds!!

ShawnP

Ready to race!
I think for now, I'm going to keep the stock cat-back, but I'm super glad I put this thread together. I'll likely keep compiling current videos on here to compare sounds!!

I will try to get a video clip of mine this week.

C1iffyp

Passed Driver's Ed
I will try to get a video clip of mine this week.

After only two days...I have decided I am back on the hunt for a Cat-Back.

It's just not enough with the down pipe alone.

Maybe I should delete the resonator?

C1iffyp

Passed Driver's Ed

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Why do you say that?

I also had the beluga catback paired with my billyboat catted DP, it was a nice deep rumble at idle. not obnoxiously loud, it shines when you WOT. and the DSG farts are epic. i miss mine i current have the magnaflow 3" catback. yes its deeper than the beluga but imo the farts are louder and sounds better with the beluga. i regret selling it. ill probably end up selling my magnaflow and getting the beluga again or go with a custom exhaust

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Why do you say that?
because you are making this way more complicated than it needs to be lol.
it will pair nicely with their downpipe(obviously) lol plus its cheap sounds good and has held up well for me.