GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Zoomer7's subtle (maybe for now) GTI build

racemor

Hey Clint, love reading about your car. A very tasteful build!

Did you do the installation of the ST2 paddles or did GMP? And do you have any regrets going with a DSG over a standard manual? I'm close to making a move on a Mk7 and am having a hard time choosing.

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
Hey Clint, love reading about your car. A very tasteful build!

Did you do the installation of the ST2 paddles or did GMP? And do you have any regrets going with a DSG over a standard manual? I'm close to making a move on a Mk7 and am having a hard time choosing.

I TOTALLY understand the appeal of "shaking hands" with your car with a manual tranny since all of my previous cars have been stick... but good god the convenience, and speed of DSG is uncanny. I can't believe this tech is available for everyday daily driven hot hatches. It works flawlessly, and I love the sound of upshifts. You won't regret getting DSG unless you have free admission to a racetrack in your backyard.

I did the ST2 paddles, it was kind of a pain.. and when I reassembled the steering wheel the horn doesn't work :( I've been meaning to take it by VW for them to fix it, but I believe it's $100 to look at it. I've been using my flashers a lot more now ;)

IF you do get the paddles, and I highly highly suggest you do, learn from me:

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
Could've told you to go Bilstein from the start. ;)

Yuuuup, the D2 coilovers have done nicely over the last 2 years, and totally worth the price, but for my needs I want more convenient adjustability and more hardcore settings.

The selling point for the Bilsteins is that you're able to adjust them from the bottom, instead of the top. I had no idea you had to friggin uninstall and drop the rear struts to adjust dampening.

racemor

IF you do get the paddles, and I highly highly suggest you do, learn from me:

Ha! I make that face every time I work on my cars!!

Thanks for the input, definitely leaning toward DSG. Now if I can just find a dealer that will let me order a Golf R I'll be set. The dealers around Charlotte don't have very many allotted cars available.

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
Impromptu fun in the mtns today..... It rained just as I got to some good curvy stuff so I had to take it a little easy. Sigh

Forgot my polarizer for the camera, blast!

Jeff43

Ready to race!
Just found this thread in my research of BBS CH-Rs. Such a clean build :thumbsup: