GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi Q3 quattro vs Mk6 GTI

Madhav

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone,

I am currently living in Thailand and am weighing up the pros and cons of buying either one of these.

My previous cars were both 500whp 2JZ single turbo builds, but now want something more comfortable but with the possibility of making decent power.

Both cars have the same engine and gearbox (dsg). I like the GTI because of its aftermarket part support, slightly lighter curb weight. However the 4WD quattro system in the Q3 is a clear advantage when the time comes to making more power and actually getting it to the ground. The GTI has only front wheel drive and not even LSD from what I understand?

The Q3 can actually look quite decent when lowered (just google it to see what I mean) although I think it would require a bit of work in terms of handling.

GTI is more of a purpose built sports car whereas the Q3 is not. Saying this Audi did make the RS Q3 so it is possible to adapt a similar approach by modifying suspension etc.

Also worth noting I would be looking to put in a big turbo setup right from day one of purchasing either of these cars. Hoping to get around 400-450whp.

I normally use straight E85 in all my cars, I noticed that not many people are using it with this engine. I think the possibility is there especially now that larger fuel pumps and injectors are easier to source. Tuning wouldn't be an issue either, I would assume it's possible to increase fuel by 30% and then use the race fuel maps.

In my experience with the 2JZ platform is much easier and safer to make power using E85 and also there is less need to strengthen the engine.

Edit: I will say that the Golf R is available here, but the price is sickening. The taxes here in Thailand are so obscene. A golf GTI cost US$70k new, golf R is like $100k. Second hand low mileage (20k miles) GTI go for $28-30k. R models go for about $50k.

Last edited:

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Personally I would go with the Q3 for traction. If you're going to go big turbo in a GTI you're going to find the limits of all season's immediately. Clearly with the right wheel/tire/suspension combo you can get a set of wide grippy summer or R compound tires to mitigate that to a large extent but IMO you'll also want to open up the trans and put in an LSD. I want one now with ~350whp/320wtq. If you start out AWD then you won't have to run any extreme wheel packages to get good grip out of a street tire and will likely find that you don't have to touch the transmission at all. I do know that some R drivers in the US end up going to a front LSD and I've seen conversation about developing a rear/mid? LSD also in the mFactory thread.

I am running an f23t (k04 hybrid) on my car and it's a blast to drive. I'm sure big turbo would be even more fun, but with your background of RWD big turbo cars I don't see you being happy with a FWD platform. Most of us mod and ultimately leave the GTI because of FWD not because we don't like the car or any quality issues.

that's my $.02!

Madhav

Passed Driver's Ed
Personally I would go with the Q3 for traction. If you're going to go big turbo in a GTI you're going to find the limits of all season's immediately. Clearly with the right wheel/tire/suspension combo you can get a set of wide grippy summer or R compound tires to mitigate that to a large extent but IMO you'll also want to open up the trans and put in an LSD. I want one now with ~350whp/320wtq. If you start out AWD then you won't have to run any extreme wheel packages to get good grip out of a street tire and will likely find that you don't have to touch the transmission at all. I do know that some R drivers in the US end up going to a front LSD and I've seen conversation about developing a rear/mid? LSD also in the mFactory thread.

I am running an f23t (k04 hybrid) on my car and it's a blast to drive. I'm sure big turbo would be even more fun, but with your background of RWD big turbo cars I don't see you being happy with a FWD platform. Most of us mod and ultimately leave the GTI because of FWD not because we don't like the car or any quality issues.

that's my $.02!

Thanks for your input. I do like the GTI, but yes the FWD is my only issue. There are very limited options in terms of modern, rear wheel drive, turbocharged, high quality cars here that are not ridiculously overpriced.

I saw the smoking tire youtube channel review a K04 LSD Mk6 gti and he said traction was pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I7ZeAHISok

The Audi Q3 was not my first choice until i realised it is actually quite similar to the Golf R in many ways. Both weigh about the same, similar engine and driveline. However the obvious difference is that one is pitched as a family car and the other a sports car. However the S line is available and this is a bit more sports orientated.

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
Anything you don't like about the Q3 can be changed, really. I.e taking the tame & boring out -> racecar parts in.

Also I'd say you're overlooking a huge part of the cars, which is the overall ambiance. The Q3 with a big turbo still is 'luxury'. Materials, build quality, refinement... WOOD GRAIN?

Looking forward to your Q3 racecar build thread :D

Madhav

Passed Driver's Ed
Anything you don't like about the Q3 can be changed, really. I.e taking the tame & boring out -> racecar parts in.

Also I'd say you're overlooking a huge part of the cars, which is the overall ambiance. The Q3 with a big turbo still is 'luxury'. Materials, build quality, refinement... WOOD GRAIN?

Looking forward to your Q3 racecar build thread :D

Well yes, it is a nice mix in my opinion. Yes it is kind of luxury spec but I have no issues with this, more interested in performance on the inside. Quattro 4WD big turbo is what I am interested in, and also availability within Thailand.

They can look good when lowered, check it out.

Last edited: