GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New here and have few questions. How do you like your 5-speed?

madbikes

Ready to race!
Hi guys, picked up a United Gray 5-speed Golf last week and I really enjoy it. Great power but wish it's the 2010 gear ratio. Love the MFD and the extra cylinder doesn't seem to use that much more fuel compared to my last car.

This happens to be my first manual car, so I have some questions for you guys.

-How do you deal with rev hang in general? I seem to have a hard time getting into 2nd smoothly
-How to make it a bit easier to rev-match on DBW throttle body?
-Is it just me or I'm feeling a bit "notchy"? I know shifter assembly can get play over time. However, if I step on the clutch at idle, move into any gear then keep doing it feels fine. It's not like it's difficult to get into gear.
-Do all gears have syncros in this tranny?

Hope I didn't ask too many questions and would like your input. Thanks.

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
Well, I really dont know enough to answer most of your questions, but I will give you some advice.

Get an intake, this seems to help out with eliminating some of the hang your talking about. It also eliminates some of the hesitation of first gear. The stock intake housing is ridiculously long and twisted.

EDIT: Welcome! :D

GolfingMK6

Ready to race!
Ive been trying to get used to this as well. Just hit 3k miles and getting into second smoothly is still an issue sometimes, and ive only ever owned cars with a manual tranny. As it was just suggested im ordering the neuspeed p-flo to see if i can get a little more response. The revs in this car are unlike anything ive ever driven. Not necessarily a bad thing i think its just something to get used to, and maybe get an intake to help. Rev matching, when you get it right, does help. The tranny is a bit notchy like you said. Reverse is the worst. Again, i think its all just something you have to get used to. All in all, i love the 5-speed.

XJLI

third seems like the issue on mine, second goes in great. this shifter is butter compared to my old subie with a short shifter and poly bushings. as far as rev matching, youll get used to it. it takes a little bit more of a push on the pedal than a cable throttle does. every gear is synchronized.

DarthMaul

Ready to race!
Every gear is synchronized.

Except for Reverse, so make sure you come to a complete stop prior to engaging Reverse or else you will hear a very unsettling grinding noise.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
I have 52,000 km on my 2010 Golf and I still find it difficult sometimes for a smooth 1-2 shift. The gearbox can be a little notchy when its cold, but most of the time its smooth. The only thing I wish the car had was a 6spd, the 5spd is a little outdated in my eyes. Not to mention my car turns too many RPMs on the highway.

McQueen77

Banned
If you are having problems with smooth shifts, look into a torque arm insert.

jaja123

Ready to race!
This was also my first manual and its tons of fun. I practiced in a friends 91' 318 bmw for several days beforehand. The golf's clutch was so light but there is enough resistance for it to be enjoyable and at the same time more comfortable for stop and go. Going into second was tricky at first but I got it down now(I do have a torque insert). Intake does reduce throttle response but I find there is still too much lag partly because fly by wire and vw tuning it less aggressively. Yes the shifter is notchy when cold and can sometimes shudder as well. But it is a very smooth and precise shiter and I prefer it over my friends 09 subaru wrx. I was driving my parents automatic 3.5 altima which is a lot faster but I find my car more fun to drive in the twisties(dg springs and 23mm eibach solid rear sway as well). If you want to be in the powerband more yes the 2010 had different gearing and will probably be a little quicker from a highway pull. New golfs have gears 3,4,5 lengthened and the final drive ratio is also quite a bit longer which is geared toward fuel economy. Benefits are fuel economy, my car for instance turns 3k rpm at 70mph while the new ones are doing 2k.

Last edited:

XJLI

Except for Reverse, so make sure you come to a complete stop prior to engaging Reverse or else you will hear a very unsettling grinding noise.

yea, idk any any tranny with a synchro'd reverse gear. and the grinding doesnt happen if you double clutch :D

GolfingMK6

Ready to race!
If you are having problems with smooth shifts, look into a torque arm insert.

Ive been looking around and cant find exaclty where this goes or how to install it. Sounds like something worth purchasing since its so cheap and seems to make a noticable diference. Care to elaborate?

jaja123

Ready to race!
Ive been looking around and cant find exaclty where this goes or how to install it. Sounds like something worth purchasing since its so cheap and seems to make a noticable diference. Care to elaborate?

It is probably the simplest mod to ever do. Undo bolt. lube up the bushing and then just insert. bolt back in. Theres info online and should come with installation instructions.