GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf RS rumor

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
Ignorant - Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

I fail to see your point. :confused:

Was making fun of how much you have to pay for a car that starts at $23k, here.

In jest, because I know how highly taxed you euros are. "Oh, you just had a thought, that'll be 5 pence thought tax, please!". :D

pressure drop

Ready to race!
Wait, you pay $50k for a GTI and WE are the ignorant ones? (I paid $26k for mine, sans only leather/Nav)
Remember, its high because of VAT and regulatory fees. Those pay for health care, pensions, paid vacations, free university education, etc.

So yea, everything might cost more overseas, but considering the cost of health care and education in America that can sometimes go above 6 figures and land families in debt, I think they're better off.

BusinessAsUsual

Go Kart Champion
Wait, you pay $50k for a GTI and WE are the ignorant ones?

Was making fun of how much you have to pay for a car that starts at $23k, here.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
Remember, its high because of VAT and regulatory fees. Those pay for health care, pensions, paid vacations, free university education, etc.

So yea, everything might cost more overseas, but considering the cost of health care and education in America that can sometimes go above 6 figures and land families in debt, I think they're better off.

I was joking, for starters....and I hope you are, too, with that "they're better off" bit.

Anywho, back to the original programming.

GTDMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
Ooops! :p

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Many apologies for that, however, I felt it necessary in my original post to point out how you guys in the US sometimes earn a bad reputation by the ignorance of a few. I didn't realise that my point would get backed up further in the thread :laugh:

Just to expel a few myths...

Not all of us, by a long stretch, use the Euro. I will also point out that the Euro has cents not pence :laugh: (sorry to be a pedant)

Despite popular belief many people in Europe can afford to drive Golf GTD/GTI's (we invented them - 'them' being GTIs and GTDs, infact we invented cars) :fighting0030:

Most of "us" can afford to eat at least one meal a day (more if we find some road kill) :laugh:

Us "Europeans", as this thread has labeled us, don't like being labeled as "Europeans". Whilst we (some of us) are proud to be part of Europe each of the Nations within Europe is exactly that, it's own Country and has it's own parliament, taxation laws, culture and identity. You will find vast differences across each Nation within Europe (that is the charm of Europe). Dare I even point out that there are quite a number of countries within Europe that have a higher nominal GDP per capita than the US? (Perhaps I should not go down that path :yikes:) as well as others with figures much less

Lastly, thanks for the laughs this thread has brought (some laughs can be attributed to well placed humour, some laughs to sheer amazement at lack of understanding that some people have).

Eswin17

Ready to race!
Ooops! :p

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Many apologies for that, however, I felt it necessary in my original post to point out how you guys in the US sometimes earn a bad reputation by the ignorance of a few. I didn't realise that my point would get backed up further in the thread :laugh:

Just to expel a few myths...

Not all of us, by a long stretch, use the Euro. I will also point out that the Euro has cents not pence :laugh: (sorry to be a pedant)

Despite popular belief many people in Europe can afford to drive Golf GTD/GTI's (we invented them - 'them' being GTIs and GTDs, infact we invented cars) :fighting0030:

Most of "us" can afford to eat at least one meal a day (more if we find some road kill) :laugh:

Us "Europeans", as this thread has labeled us, don't like being labeled as "Europeans". Whilst we (some of us) are proud to be part of Europe each of the Nations within Europe is exactly that, it's own Country and has it's own parliament, taxation laws, culture and identity. You will find vast differences across each Nation within Europe (that is the charm of Europe). Dare I even point out that there are quite a number of countries within Europe that have a higher nominal GDP per capita than the US? (Perhaps I should not go down that path :yikes:) as well as others with figures much less

Lastly, thanks for the laughs this thread has brought (some laughs can be attributed to well placed humour, some laughs to sheer amazement at lack of understanding that some people have).

I can see why you don't want to be labeled as European.

When it comes to being pompous and pretentious, British folks are on a level of their own. :)

If a Golf RS with a 7-speed DSG came to the U.S., I would own one.

Freakinsweet

Passed Driver's Ed
I am considering three cars for my next buy, where the next R is on the list together with the new BMW 325d/330d and the Audi RS3 (if the current one is replaced with the new design).

Let´s see the new design of the Golf R, the power output and the MPG figures. Fuel price passed another all-time high here today, coming in at roughly $8.6/gallon (thus the diesel thoughts....). Interestingly enough, VW hinted a while back that the way forward was diesel-powered R cars. I keep my fingers crossed :)

Last edited: